GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

7,906 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
21 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Discarding red cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe my question is stupid, but I was wondering if I was missing something essential. The english rulebook says on page 10:

"Events (red cards, C) are collected in a personal pile face down after being played."

Why do I need a personal pile for those cards? I mean, by the end of the game you might get confused by all the green and blue cards in play, so simply putting the red cards in the common discard pile seems to be an easy solution. You don't need the red cards for later scoring, don't you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is ONE possible use I've come across so far. One of the cards counts how many of these cards have been played, so you have to be able to count them. There may be other cards that do something similar, but yes, for the most part these cards can just be stashed face down off to the side of your player area because they don't really matter any more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flott wrote:
Maybe my question is stupid, but I was wondering if I was missing something essential. The english rulebook says on page 10:

"Events (red cards, C) are collected in a personal pile face down after being played."

Why do I need a personal pile for those cards? I mean, by the end of the game you might get confused by all the green and blue cards in play, so simply putting the red cards in the common discard pile seems to be an easy solution. You don't need the red cards for later scoring, don't you?

As Michael says there is an effect that counts how many have been played. In addition a few of the red cards to count for points at the end of the game. You wouldn't want to add them to the discard pile in any case as they might then be recycled if the deck runs out, which is not meant to happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
As Michael pointed out, Media Archive counts the number of event cards played so far.

Furthermore, some event cards affect victory points, so you need to keep them for the end of the game scoring.

While you don't technically NEED to keep the other event cards in front of you, I would strongly advise doing so, because they can be used to recover game information that has been lost somehow.
For instance, if a player notices a discrepancy between his production and the cards he has played, you can look at all projects(including events) to figure out what the correct production level should be. Similarly, a player may knock over his production cubes and need to recalculate his production.
If you mix played event cards, this option will be unavailable, while giving you no benefit. shake

Cheers,
Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if returned to the common discard pile and the deck runs out they might be recylced and end up being played twice - there can be too many 'Large Asteroids'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Trabert
Germany
Düsseldorf (34 km south of Essen)
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys for your incredibly rapid answers. This makes all a lot of sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domus_ludorum wrote:
Also if returned to the common discard pile and the deck runs out they might be recylced and end up being played twice - there can be too many 'Large Asteroids'.

Yes, that was what I wanted to add to the discussion. Each card in Terraforming Mars is unique (actually representing patents, which would explain why you buy them to your hand before being able to play them). For this reason alone, I wouldn't risk the same project coming up again, after the discard pile has been reshuffled. Also, some of them score points, and Media Archives gives money for them, but this has already been covered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy DuCharme

Peoria
Illinois
msg tools
mbmb
One thing I did in a game where we were short of table space, and I wanted to keep my unused cards separate from my purchased event cards was to place the purchased event cards face down, and under my corporation card. Turned sideways so you can see the stack, but out of the way and obviously out of play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Treacher
United Kingdom
Moorlinch
Somerset
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flott wrote:
You don't need the red cards for later scoring, don't you?

Actually you do. While most of the red cards do not score any VPs, a very few do. (I can think of one that gives a whopping 4VP for playing it, which you definitely wouldn't want to forget during scoring!).

The tags on face-down, played red cards do not count during the end of game tallying, however. We got this wrong on our first couple of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enoch Fryxelius
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nikas Zekeval wrote:
One thing I did in a game where we were short of table space, and I wanted to keep my unused cards separate from my purchased event cards was to place the purchased event cards face down, and under my corporation card. Turned sideways so you can see the stack, but out of the way and obviously out of play.

This is a very good practice that my gaming group picked up that I always recommend: Keep your played events in a pile underneath your corporation card. That way you don't confuse them with discarded cards, your hand, or an ongoing draft etc.

Strongly recommended!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandra Herrmannsdörfer
msg tools
There is another question that occured while we were playing: Do the symbols on the red card count as Symbols for some other cards, i. e. earth symbols or the titan stars.

For example there is a card that says you gain money production for each titan star the opponents have played so far.

Do their red cards count, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Stückl
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
Sternenfee83 wrote:
There is another question that occured while we were playing: Do the symbols on the red card count as Symbols for some other cards, i. e. earth symbols or the titan stars.

For example there is a card that says you gain money production for each titan star the opponents have played so far.

Do their red cards count, too?

Tags on event cards only count while playing the card. After this, they are turned down and all tags are ignored for the rest of the game. Only their VPs are recorded at the end of the game. Note that tags on event cards do NOT count towards the Scientist or any other effect.
The only "exception" to this is Media Archives.

There are only two things tags on events can do:
* Modify how the card is played (cost reduction, space tags)
* Trigger other cards (e.g. Interplanetary Cinematics, Olympus Conference)

Otherwise, they have no effect.

Cheers,
Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.