$20.00
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Unicorn Hunter
mbmbmbmbmb

My gaming group are planing to start a new campaign of Imperial Assault, but playing all missions (Core, TS, Bespin, and Hoth) with the same characters in a timeline divided in three seasons. Each season with 11 (+ forced) missions.

We've been discussing how to balance a 3 times longer campaign:

What we have so far is to use tier I itens on Season 1 (Core), tier II on Season 2 (TS and the first half of Hoth), and tier III on Season 3 (second half of Hoth and Bespin).

For balancing the threat level what come to my mind right now is:
Season 1 - 2, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, and 4 for the Core finale
Season 2 - 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 (TS + 2 side missions), 5, 5, 5, 5, 5, and 6 for return to echo base (Hoth)
Season 3 - 6, 6, 6, 6, 6 (2nd half of Hoth), 7, 7, 7, 7, 7, and 8 for the ultimate finale [custom mission] (Bespin + 1 side mission + finale)
* I never played Hoth, so this might be off in the story arc.
** Maybe threat levels of 7 and 8 are too much (depending on heroes' advancement).

Now, having the threat level as reference (and, of course, you can suggest something different for that as well), for the slower advancement of heroes and IP, I would like to hear from you guys... does anybody have any ideas for this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing any finale with only access to Tier I items is doomed, whatever the threat level. Threat level is not the only factor, the number of XP and credits the rebels are expected to have on average affect the story mission difficulty, including the initial groups.

The best I can suggest is to play all campaigns concurrently, interleaving the missions of each campaign sheet. I.e. play all intros in succession, then the missions in the second slot etc. skipping some to match the threat levels and arrive to all finales at the same stage.

Then average and round the rewards from the separate campaigns for the upgrade stages. More adjustments are required if you interleave the minicampaigns.

For me personally the 11-14-mission campaigns are already a couple of missions too long. It was one reason to create the extended minicampaign variants I use in play by forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Unicorn Hunter
mbmbmbmbmb
Got it. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
I'd agree interleaving is the best way. If you really want to play them in order then for Core Set and Hoth story missions you need to balance the initial and reserved groups some other way.

One other option would be to play a long campaign with just missions from the small expansion, side missions from base and Hoth, and hero/villain pack missions. These are all side quests designed to be played at any point in a campaign so won't have the same balancing issues.

Or pick a single story campaign, say Hoth and do:

Hoth intro (2)
TS 1 (2)
SM 1 (2)
TS 2 (2)
SM 2 (2)
Hoth Story Mission 1 (3)
TS 3 (3)
SM 3 (3)
TS 4 (3)
SM 4 (4)
Hoth Interlude (**)
------------------
Hoth Story Mission 2 (4)
BG 1 (4)
SQ 5 (4)
BG 2 (5)
SQ 6 (5)
BG 3 (5)
SQ 7 (5)
BG 4 (5)
SQ 8 (6)
Hoth Story Mission 3 (6)
------------------
Hoth Finale (6)
SQ9 (6)
SQ10 (6)
SQ11 (6)
SQ12 (6)
SQ13 (7)
SQ14 (7)
SQ15 (7)
SQ16 (7)
Custom Finale (8)

- Obviously the third chapter is kinda rubbish as you're just doing loads of sidequests, but if you're doing a custom finale one option maybe to allow multiple allies and villians, and have SQ9-16 be just missions for recruiting them, as those missions don't see much play otherwise.
Or just play Hoth as-is now and do this when there is a third mini campaign you can hang act 3 on with Jabba's Realm as the base campaign.

Should go without saying that missions should award a third as much XP and credits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevan Corrêa
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
Unicorn Hunter
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great advice. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas with Subtrendy
msg tools
mbmbmb
It's be cool for FFG to release some official rules for at least playing the Big Box campaigns in order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cris Bohde
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the main interest in doing a super-long campaign is the story with the same group of players, and not the individual character progression (and my suggestion is based on including the soon-to-be-released Jabba's Realm), how about having the Rebels choose 3-4 groups of heroes (since there are 16 heroes as of Jabba's Realm), each group will take on each separate campaign. Like if at the end of each "story" the movie shifts to another scene with a different group battling the Imperials on a different front...

3-Group (only full campaigns)
Group 1 takes on Core Campaign
Group 2 takes on Return to Hoth
Group 3 takes on Jabba's Realm

4-Group (with Mini-campaigns... combine and tweak Twin Shadows and Bespin Gambit to a full campaign?)
Group 1 takes on Core Campaign
Group 2 takes on first part of TS/BG Campaign
Group 3 takes on Return to Hoth
Back to Group 2 for second part of TS/BG Campaign
Group 4 takes on Jabba's Realm
(* only side missions available are either from Ally/Villain packs or from the current campaign; Imperials also have to pick completely separate Agenda Packs and Class Decks for each campaign)

I'd have to have a deeper look (when I'm not at work) at the TS/BG mini campaigns to have a better idea how to best combine these into a single full campaign.

I know my SWIA main gaming group would LOVE to do this, and would geek out at trying to come up with 3-4 different Rebel Hero group combinations, and a chance to try out all the Heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.