Subject: Institute? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asked and answered in German I believe, but no use to me as I don't speak German (and don't ask me to do the Google translate Rick on this iPad with a really poor data signal).

What does the Institute do? The symbols aren't clear to me, and the rulebook explains one but not the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
We did forget to mention the second effect of the institute: it reduces the cost of playing an improvement card by 1 tool (if applicable). This applies to every improvement you play as long as the Institute is active.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thought so. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What does the small X1 mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever you play an improvement, you may play another one (only once per turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, we thought it meant you could only have one institute.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
That is true, too. The 1x on the hex tile means that you may only build this building once. The 1x on the building tile means what Grzegorz has written above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this apply only to the cost on the top of an Improvement, or also for any tool costs on the bottom of an improvement card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaMilli wrote:
Does this apply only to the cost on the top of an Improvement, or also for any tool costs on the bottom of an improvement card?

I would imagine just the top. What card has tools in the body of the text?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carey
United States
West Coast
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Whenever you play an improvement, you may play another one (only once per turn).

Does that second improvement cost another Action to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve Carey wrote:
Ponton wrote:

Does that second improvement cost another Action to play?

There are no action costs. It does not consume a turn. It is part of the same turn (just like building multiple farms is all part of the same turn). It is, however, a separate action in that you can rearrange goods from buffers or warehouses to pay for it (unlike building a farm).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many improvements provide a building action with a discounted cost, but that cost is printed lower on the card. It keeps the same formatting as building actions printed on tiles. Most (maybe all?) of those cards require tools in some way.

If it's just to keep formatting the same as other places in the game, then it seems like they should be discounted as it's a cost associated with playing the card (you can't play the card and not pay the tools/build the building)...but I have no idea if this is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
On further reflection:

The one time play cards have no cost on the top (the cost is in the body of the card), and the continuing power cards have a cost on the top. If I have a card that permits me to buy a Stable as a one time action, the cost in tools, planks, bricks and what-not will be in the body of the card.

My interpretation (and the way that I played Institute) is that the discount of one tool applies to one continuing power card (one with the cost at the top). When playing a one time use card, there is no discount to pay the resources and use the card.

In the image above, the Loam Hollow would cost 1 Tool and 2 Clay and would crank out a clay per production phase forever. The Building contract would build a Foersterei for 2 Tools and 2 Wood and be discarded.

I'm willing to hear that I'm wrong!

Update - I read in another forum that EACH development card you play benefits from the one tool discount. Not just the first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Taxers wrote:
In the image above, the Loam Hollow would cost 1 Tool and 2 Clay and would crank out a clay per production phase forever. The Building contract would build a Foersterei for 2 Tools and 2 Wood and be discarded.

This is how I understand the Institute discount. It would be nice to get an official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
sirgalin wrote:
Many improvements provide a building action with a discounted cost, but that cost is printed lower on the card. It keeps the same formatting as building actions printed on tiles. Most (maybe all?) of those cards require tools in some way.

If it's just to keep formatting the same as other places in the game, then it seems like they should be discounted as it's a cost associated with playing the card (you can't play the card and not pay the tools/build the building)...but I have no idea if this is right.

This is correct. Permanent cards show their cost at the top. One-time use cards show their cost in the body of the card. The discount affects either card type.

In the example given above, even building the Forester's House would cost 1 tool less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.