Subject: Quality of the miniatures rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only own one CMON game and that is Blood Rage. The miniatures there are off the charts amazing. Looking at Massive Darkness a lot of the large miniatures - which are the ones I am mostly interested in - look a little "rough" to me compared to the big and super fine Blood Rage miniatures. Is this just my eyes deceiving me? CMON are supposed to always do high quality miniatures as far as I have heard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No one has them, but all the other cmon games have had awesome minis so I think it's a safe bet they will be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't worry about it. Rest assured the minis will be off the charts with this title as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
The physical quality is almost certain to me the same as blood rage. There will be style differences that you may not like though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool. Am currently torn between late pledging this and backing Deep Madness. I am looking for a light and FUN dungeon crawl with lots of cool miniatures - particularly large ones. For two reasons: One, I want great miniatures to paint. Two, I want a coop dungeon crawl WITHOUT a DM to play with my 6 year old son. He's probably not quite ready to play them yet, but will be within the next year or so, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm painting the Black Plague Minis now and I'm very impressed by their quality. Good hard plastic, minimal bent weapons, and high detail. Also take paint well without a primer coat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Cool. Am currently torn between late pledging this and backing Deep Madness. I am looking for a light and FUN dungeon crawl with lots of cool miniatures - particularly large ones. For two reasons: One, I want great miniatures to paint. Two, I want a coop dungeon crawl with a DM to play with my 6 year old son. He's probably not quite ready to play them yet, but will be within the next year or so, I think.

Than Massive Darkness is a solid choice. Deep Madness is being run like a CMON KS, but it's from a first time company. We really have no idea what to expect as far as miniature quality is concerned. With CMON, its a guarantee.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:
Cool. Am currently torn between late pledging this and backing Deep Madness. I am looking for a light and FUN dungeon crawl with lots of cool miniatures - particularly large ones. For two reasons: One, I want great miniatures to paint. Two, I want a coop dungeon crawl with a DM to play with my 6 year old son. He's probably not quite ready to play them yet, but will be within the next year or so, I think.

Than Massive Darkness is a solid choice. Deep Madness is being run like a CMON KS, but it's from a first time company. We really have no idea what to expect as far as miniature quality is concerned. With CMON, its a guarantee.

Jorune

Yeah, but it's hard to back away from my early bird Deep Madness pledge! Hah.

Also, I really like the strange monsters in Deep Madness. BUT, I just this minute had my son look at a page with Massive Darkness monsters and a page with Deep Madness monsters and he MUCH preferred the Massive Darkness monsters. I think he thought the Deep Madness monsters were just weird, which is kinda why I am attracted to them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lieberoth Wadum
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:

Jorune

That's a terrible argument. So we should only back existing giants? Don't try that new small cafe down the road, when you can get good old dependable McDonald's? Really?!?

That's NOT to say that deep madness is in fact going to be any better than Massive Darkness. It's just that the logic defies the point of kickstarter as a springboard for new interesting creators. But hey, for a lot of people it's become a source of preorders for companies basing a whole business model around ks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kill ape
msg tools
I have to agree. I like to see new companies rise. The way they manage their campaign is very good up till now. Solid and professional So I have good hopes that they deliver, maybe not on time. But we will see. I'll back them next week.

lieberoth wrote:
Jorune wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:

Jorune

That's a terrible argument. So we should only back existing giants? Don't try that new small cafe down the road, when you can get good old dependable McDonald's? Really?!?

That's NOT to say that deep madness is in fact going to be any better than Massive Darkness. It's just that the logic defies the point of kickstarter as a springboard for new interesting creators. But hey, for a lot of people it's become a source of preorders for companies basing a whole business model around ks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lieberoth wrote:
Jorune wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:

Jorune

You can back them, you just may be taking more risk. That is not bad but you should make the choice being aware of the risks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lieberoth wrote:
Jorune wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:

Jorune

I get this reasoning. If you think you've tasted the best coffee, how do you know whether or not the coffee shop you haven't tried is even better?

But cafes might not be the best analogy for us, because there's a risk you might not get your $150 coffee. That risk is mitigated somewhat by companies that have already served coffee (?) before, and so... ugh. I don't like to take these kinda risks, but you are right - could be the best coffee out there. And it helps get someone's vision out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lieberoth wrote:
That's a terrible argument.

No, not here to argue. The OP asked between the two, which one. I stated my opinion and the why of it.

Which leads us to...
lieberoth wrote:
So we should only back existing giants? Don't try that new small cafe down the road, when you can get good old dependable McDonald's? Really?!?

Let's clean up that analogy. For one piece boardgame mini's, CMON is a 5-star restaurant. For the price, you are guaranteed the best steak.

Or, you could try that new restaurant down the road that is acting like the 5-star CMON, but is so far unproven.

For the same price.
lieberoth wrote:
That's NOT to say that deep madness is in fact going to be any better than Massive Darkness.

Bingo. So when asked my opinion, I'm going to stake my reputation with the guaranteed best spot. Not the unproven one. THAT would defy logic, no?
lieberoth wrote:
It's just that the logic defies the point of kickstarter as a springboard for new interesting creators.

You have defined what kickstarter was created for.
lieberoth wrote:
But hey, for a lot of people it's become a source of preorders for companies basing a whole business model around ks.

And now you have defined what kickstarter has become.

The best part is that we are free to use kickstarter in both capacities. If you want to back the underdog, go right ahead. I do that too. If you want to back a proven company that may not need kickstarter, you can do that too. I do more often than not.

My personal opinion is that any new publisher should start small. Say, like a card game. There is much to learn about the ins and outs of manufacturing a boardgame without the added weight of mini's.

Here's a great read how a KS can go sideways in regards to manufacturing. Mind you, this was the companies SECOND kickstarter. While there first had questionable rules issues, the minis were fantastic.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/megacongames/mercs-reco...

I've backed my fair share of Kickstarters. I've seen what they go through. I've watched known/proven publishers over extend themselves(Flying Frog Productions with Shadows of Brimstone). Let's not forget that CMON had a doozy or two with some of their earlier titles.

I was very happy to have backed Fireteam Zero. First time publisher in Emergent Games. Mini's heavy. What made me back, however, was that the designer had a couple popular titles already published. A proven game publisher came on board to help co-publish the title.

There is risk in all kickstarter projects. Some more than others.

If someone can back both games (Massive Darkness and Deep Madness), go for it. But if I had to recommend only one, you feel I should NOT consider the fact that CMON is well established, while Diemension Games is new and unproven? THAT defies logic.

Jorune
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I backed Massive Darkness and Dungeon Crusade. Don't know how it will turn out but one is a new publisher and one is an old one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
Also, I really like the strange monsters in Deep Madness. BUT, I just this minute had my son look at a page with Massive Darkness monsters and a page with Deep Madness monsters and he MUCH preferred the Massive Darkness monsters. I think he thought the Deep Madness monsters were just weird, which is kinda why I am attracted to them!

Haha, I totally see it like your son does. Deep Madness is just weird. Massive Darkness has some pretty cool stuff going. I would also say, it might be a bit more kid-friendly, themewise.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I ended up late pledging this after all while my wife is out of town.

The excuse is that it is for playing with my son and my wife really wants me to spend as much time with him as possible, so there...

My personal excuse is that with all the KS exclusive stuff, I could probably sell it off if I end up hating it.

Still haven't cancelled the early bird for Deep Madness either...zombie

...and I don't even like dungeon crawlers. Jeez.

Anyway, it would be awesome if the game would actually arrive in april, since my son turns 7 in april. But I guess that is probably too much to hope for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Suitcase
Canada
Burlington
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
So I ended up late pledging this after all while my wife is out of town.

The excuse is that it is for playing with my son and my wife really wants me to spend as much time with him as possible, so there...

My personal excuse is that with all the KS exclusive stuff, I could probably sell it off if I end up hating it.

Still haven't cancelled the early bird for Deep Madness either...zombie

...and I don't even like dungeon crawlers. Jeez.

Anyway, it would be awesome if the game would actually arrive in april, since my son turns 7 in april. But I guess that is probably too much to hope for!

Good for you. After Mechs vs Minions arrived, my wife told me "No More Boardgames". Unfortunately, I hadn't yet told her about the kickstarters that are on the way... namely:

Massive Darkness
Rum & Bones 2
Arcadia Quest: Inferno
Masmorra
Hostage Negotiator expansion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
Craigie
WA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
lieberoth wrote:
Jorune wrote:
BlueSwan wrote:

Jorune

This is why I backed Gloomhaven, but decided to cancel my early pledge of Deep Madness, I got too many dungeon crawlers with Massive Darkness and Dark Souls due to arrive in 6 months.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Charabaruk
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I just late pledged this (core box only) and I am pretty much all in for Deep Madness, so I guess in a year or so I can come back with a proper comparison

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.