United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Page 25 of the rulebook says:
Quote:
If at any point during the game you are the sole remaining Player and you can correctly name the killer, even if you are the killer, you win.

Let's say it's the end of the 2nd Act and Klein just killed the next to last player (as a result of a Klein's "3rd attack post attack"), what happens if the sole remaining player is not prepared to name the killer?

Two possibilities that I can think of:

- It doesn't matter if he's prepared or not. At the moment there is a sole remaining player, he must make an attempt. If he's right, he wins. If he's wrong, he (and everyone else) loses.

or,

- He keeps playing by himself* till he's ready to name the killer, at which point he either wins or loses depending on his declaration. Or he keeps playing until the game ends normally at the end of the 3rd Act.

*During a recent 2-player game, the sole remaining player knew who the killer was, so we didn't have a chance to see how going further would work, but it seems like it could.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Toystorian
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The sole remaining player has to immediately name the killer whether he/she is prepared to or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

OK, Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game immediately ends as soon as the second to last player dies. Then you just turn to the last player and say, "Who is Klein?" If they are right, they win, if they are wrong, they lose.

Is that right?

And it could happen that a player wins the game if they just happen to guess correctly. Kind of like rolling a 6 on a 6-sided die. I don't really like that "luck" rule, though. Like, if there's one person left, I think they should have to say something like, "I figured out that Klein is the Cheerleader because I saw Clue 1 and I got information on the other Clue from other players." Or maybe even, "I noticed that the Cheerleader caused one of the players to die by swapping positions when she really didn't need to. I think she's Klein."

But if they say, "I really don't have any idea. I never saw any of the Clues and no one was acting particularly suspicious," maybe they shouldn't be allowed to win.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it kind of feels like a hollow victory if you just happen to blindly guess and get it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Davy,

I agree with your logic and argument, but after considering Greg's reply to my question, I see it this way...

If the last player has survived to be the last player, well, that's gotta be worth something, right? So even if he hasn't seen any clues, why not give him that 17% chance of at least guessing correctly?

That's better than everyone walking away form the game as losers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Krijgsman
Netherlands
flag msg tools
randomlife wrote:
The game immediately ends as soon as the second to last player dies. Then you just turn to the last player and say, "Who is Klein?" If they are right, they win, if they are wrong, they lose.

Is that right?

And it could happen that a player wins the game if they just happen to guess correctly. Kind of like rolling a 6 on a 6-sided die. I don't really like that "luck" rule, though. Like, if there's one person left, I think they should have to say something like, "I figured out that Klein is the Cheerleader because I saw Clue 1 and I got information on the other Clue from other players." Or maybe even, "I noticed that the Cheerleader caused one of the players to die by swapping positions when she really didn't need to. I think she's Klein."

But if they say, "I really don't have any idea. I never saw any of the Clues and no one was acting particularly suspicious," maybe they shouldn't be allowed to win.

I guess it's not that big of a deal, but it kind of feels like a hollow victory if you just happen to blindly guess and get it right.

I would not call it a hollow victory, ok maybe a bit. And it does sound like a nice house rule you came up with there

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David "Davy" Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would still give them the win if they happened to get it right, but I do think it's interesting to hear a little bit about their reasoning before we reveal if they're right or wrong. Even if it's just, "Mark is always Klein. I think it's him again."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.