J Valagio
msg tools
For Jake: +1 movement with his skill, could I also discard a defender card with motorcycle icon and move an extra space (3 total in his case)? OR add his movement of 2 And +3 by discarding a defender card with glider icon (5total)?

Same question applies to Josuah.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say no. In Defenders of the Realm, heroes like the Paladin didn't use horse cards to travel because they were already assumed to be mounted (which is why they moved two spaces for one movement action.) Why would Joshua use a glider card when he already has a glider? It'd be like swapping his regular glider for a loaner. The same goes for Jake. He'd be using a motorcycle instead of his V8 Interceptor car to travel the same distance. One of the advantages these characters have is they are more mobile relative to other heroes, and they can use Defender cards for other things because they aren't spending them to move in order to extinguish outbreaks and overruns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Valagio
msg tools
Neil- I tend to agree but in rule books says:

"The player may use their Ranger’s movement abilities if they possess any, and may also discard Defender Cards with movement icons to move more than one location..."

That "and may also" is what's causing the confusion. I wouldn't think Jake could take his bike then ditch it for glider for combined 5 spaces, but doesn't specify that, in fact seems to permit it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Valagio wrote:
Neil- I tend to agree but in rule books says:

"The player may use their Ranger’s movement abilities if they possess any, and may also discard Defender Cards with movement icons to move more than one location..."

That "and may also" is what's causing the confusion. I wouldn't think Jake could take his bike then ditch it for glider for combined 5 spaces, but doesn't specify that, in fact seems to permit it.

I agree. If you couldn't combine them, the rules would say so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Droid
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are spending an action to move. Their skills apply to this movement action that allows them to do so without spending the corresponding card. I think the skills say something like, "as if you spent a Defender card with a <relevant> icon".

So you can decide to spend a card and move accordingly or use their skill and not spend a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Droid is correct. This is how it works with Defenders of the Realm (the other game engine Defenders of the Last Stand is based on.)

You are spending an action point to move 1 space. You may also choose to add a Defender Card to that action point to move further than 1 space. Heroes like Jake and Joshua have abilities that don't require them to spend Defender cards to move further on their 1 action point.

This is one of the trade-offs in the game - do you spend a card or spend additional action points? If a normal hero wants to move 3 spaces they can:

1.) Spend 3 action points to move 3 spaces.
2.) Spend 2 action points and a Motorcycle Defender Card to move 3 spaces.
3.) Spend 1 action point and a Glider Defender Card to move 3 spaces (you don't have to move the full 4 spaces.)

This is why Jake and Joshua have useful hero abilities. Joshua only has to spend 1 action point and no Defenders cards to move 3 spaces while Jake can spend 2 action points and no Defenders cards to move 3 spaces. If Jake is really wants to conserve action points, he could always spend 1 action point and a Glider card to move the 3 spaces. Of course, Jake's free to spend a Motorcycle card and 2 action points to move 3 spaces; but there are few - if any - good reasons to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.