Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Brown
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell him much
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules say that as soon as there are no French generals inside core Austria (i.e. the Austrian part of the Bohemia map) the French may opt to reduce their military objectives.

In my mind that means pulling back over the Bavarian-Austrian border but the rules don't explicity state that.

I recently played a game where one French general was in Bavaria and the other one could move out of Austria by going to Niesse in Silesia. We decided this move would have been within the letter of the law (alhough the French decided against it in the end).

I welcome the views of community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard sivel
Germany
berlin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mb
A French reduction in this case would be perfectly legal.

Note, however, that the French general in Silesia might have difficulties in moving back to a theatre where he might be more useful (e.g. Bavaria) w/o conquering a fortress in Austria. By such a conquest, the formerly set aside victory markers would be returned to the French pool.

Note also that I just discovered a sloppy translation in this part of the rules. The English rules say:

"As soon as there is no French general inside Core-Austria (...) France may take all its victory markers in Core-Austria from the board."

while the German original rule is (my translation, hopefully in proper English):

"When there is no French general inside Core-Austria (...) France may take all its victory markers in Core-Austria from the board at the end of her action stage."

As you might notice, the difference is the timing. In the English version, France can remove her VMs at any time during her action stage (she might even move or retreat a French general back into Core-Austria in the same action stage), while in the German version the prerequisite must be met at the end of the French action stage.

I don't know whether this will make any difference in a particular game. But if you have doubts, I recommend to use the German original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Tha can allus tell a Yorkshireman, but tha canna tell him much
mbmbmbmbmb
rsivel wrote:

"When there is no French general inside Core-Austria (...) France may take all its victory markers in Core-Austria from the board at the end of her action stage."

As you might notice, the difference is the timing. In the English version, France can remove her VMs at any time during her action stage (she might even move or retreat a French general back into Core-Austria in the same action stage), while in the German version the prerequisite must be met at the end of the French action stage.

I don't know whether this will make any difference in a particular game. But if you have doubts, I recommend to use the German original.

Your translation of the German original is much clearer. Thank you for the clear and prompt response!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think the English rules say "19.2 At the end of any French action stage, when there is no French general inside Core-Austria (the part of Austria on the Bohemia map), France may take all its victory markers
in Core-Austria from the board. Half of them (round up) are not returned to the pool, but set aside."
Reducing military objectives is the last thing France does before any combat.

I never even considered France could move into Silesia (I may have moved into Saxony once to reduce VP). Can France actually capture fortresses in Silesia that still have an Austrian VP chip? Not that this is likely, and capturing a Silesian or Saxon (if sided with Austria) fortress after reducing VP would still return VP to France's pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
I think the English rules say "19.2 At the end of any French action stage, when there is no French general inside Core-Austria (the part of Austria on the Bohemia map), France may take all its victory markers
in Core-Austria from the board. Half of them (round up) are not returned to the pool, but set aside."
Reducing military objectives is the last thing France does before any combat.

I never even considered France could move into Silesia (I may have moved into Saxony once to reduce VP). Can France actually capture fortresses in Silesia that still have an Austrian VP chip? Not that this is likely, and capturing a Silesian or Saxon (if sided with Austria) fortress after reducing VP would still return VP to France's pool.

Yeah, I think it can happen. I've never seen it, but I recall considering the possibility during a game once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hmm, France can in theory capture Glatz on turn 3. Maybe Austria could offer free passage (no Hussars messing with their supply but French must pass through Prague and Konnigratz with no attempt to attack the protecting general). Once taken by France, Prussia can never secure Silesia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.