Hide
8 Posts

Rise and Fall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Loads of rules clarification. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
1. If the empire or kingdom quits the game, all of its controlled areas become independent kingdoms, i.e. star tokens. In a sense if the Western Roma decides to quit turn one (whatever the logic), the whole civilised west board will becomes stars, including all of the "empty" land in Spain and France (for easy reference)?

2. The independent kingdoms "stars" always come up with kingdom infantrys with N economic value of the land. So if a player goes for a suicide mission and fails to remove the star, the next player going in will face a fresh N kingdom infantry instead of those 'leftovers' from the last fight. True?

3. It is OK for barbarian players to intentionally leave armys all over barbarian lands on B3 for those with a economic value. Except those which with an active player using it as it will automatically pop up 5 barbarians to defend it. And then go into K1 next turn, those army tokens are unremoved and can be used as a income. True?

4. How do ships actually move and transport? I am very confused with the words coastal, sea, and "mountainous coastal area". Let's say it is Picts from the Scotland (Picts I) and wishes to move infantry to Scotland to Londonium (London, Britain I), what would be a correct example? Do ships actually "land" on a "coastal land"?

5. If someone used Picts to go into the game, can someone else "play Picts" in the later game?

6. Let's say West Roma is still in play. And if East Roma 'liberate' the barbarianic occupation of the land of Africa 4/4, does it go to West Roma or East Roma?

7. In 12.0.2, Huns can move through East Germany homeland when it is not an active barbarian. But in 12.4.4, it says that all barbarian homeland will automatically defend with 5 barbarian infantry unless there are units in it. Does 12.4.4 only refers to kingdoms and empires, so that huns can still move through East Germany homeland as in 12.0.2? And Question #3 is still relevant and 'correct'?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Correct

2. Correct

3. I am operating off memory. On your B3 turn you receive your final muster. Normally a barbarian group will wish to transition to K1 on their following turn. But I believe this is optional. If you saw some reason to remain a barbarian, taking a B4 turn, I believe you can remain in independent barbarian territory peacefully. However, if you transition to K1, you will have to fight - I seem to recall it was 1-5 barbarians.

4. I believe a ship spends one MP to come to the coast. They can load units present for no charge. Then 1 MP to go back to the sea zone.

5. Any barbarian group, including the Picts, can be selected so long as there is not an active B1-B3 (or later) player for that area. For example, the beginning player is the Picts. He eventually transitions to K1. He has no further alliance or support from his former homeland. And a new generation of Pict barbarians are free to organize.

6. East/West Rome never own the other's land.

BTW, I strongly support using the national advantages/disadvantages. And use all of the leader rules - I forget if they are optional or standard. But each transition makes for a national check for advantages and a new leader. This is often very interesting, and can influence how to play your position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
Kevin_Whitmore wrote:

3. I am operating off memory. On your B3 turn you receive your final muster. Normally a barbarian group will wish to transition to K1 on their following turn. But I believe this is optional. If you saw some reason to remain a barbarian, taking a B4 turn, I believe you can remain in independent barbarian territory peacefully. However, if you transition to K1, you will have to fight - I seem to recall it was 1-5 barbarians.

Yup you are right. It is listed on the clarification paper. I thought I only have to read that until I have a problem! If I notice that as a problem.

Quote:

4. I believe a ship spends one MP to come to the coast. They can load units present for no charge. Then 1 MP to go back to the sea zone.

So from the picture above, moving a unit from Britain III to Lugudnesis I would use up 4 MPs? And a ship have to be actually on a land i.e. coastal area just like the drawn boart in Aquitaine, to load a unit? As I always imagine it in the Axis and Allies or Age of Renaissance way that the ship cannot be on a 'land', I am somewhat confused.

Added #6 #7 at the first post for clarification. Not blaming no fault at all, but while you replied I was still editing the first post when I remembered problem from the game today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If my rules recollection is accurate, here is how I see it:

The unit in Britain III must have started the turn there. I do not believe land units can combine land and sea movement.

Assuming the ship is already on the coast, it would be one sea movement out to position 2, two sea movements to position 3, and three sea movements to the coast (position 4). The ship could drop off the land unit, and then go back to sea, (position 3).

If a ship is on a coast, you must record which coast, if ambiguous. For example in your diagram, position 4 might have a ship on the western or eastern coast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lychenus Laplace
msg tools
I do not know... it seems like there are no examples in the rulebook stating this way of movement...

I know you cannot go "back to back" crossing land masses seperating two different coasts...

But doesn't this sound a little bit too frustrating to record? In a sense so Germania Inferior would be divided into two coasts by the solid black line of the sea division? So the ship on the Western Coast of Germania Inferior would have to rest on a very small spot of Germania Inferior? Doesn't sound right to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karsten Engelmann
United States
Springfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lychenus wrote:
I do not know... it seems like there are no examples in the rulebook stating this way of movement...

I know you cannot go "back to back" crossing land masses seperating two different coasts...

But doesn't this sound a little bit too frustrating to record? In a sense so Germania Inferior would be divided into two coasts by the solid black line of the sea division? So the ship on the Western Coast of Germania Inferior would have to rest on a very small spot of Germania Inferior? Doesn't sound right to me...

Your pictorial had it correct.

If you are in Germania Inferior, then you are adjacent to both sea zones, and could leave from there to either sea zone).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Whitmore
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Karsten,

Could you walk us through the pictorial? I could understand it if the ship started in the sea zone - where "1" was coming to shore.

If I have this wrong, I'd like to understand - as I have played your game many times, and am now wondering if I got movement wrong...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kling
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SIAP but I cannot seem to find the rule on what constitutes control of a land area. I see there are control markers but how are they placed and when.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.