Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1939 U boats opened the battle of the Atlantic soon spreading southwards. Poznan held out for a month giving time to attack the Netherlands before Sitzkrieg kicked in. Forgot that Belgium and Luxembourg should have joined too. As always, Denmark went down quickly.

Italy declared on France as North Africa was ungarrisoned and promptly lost air superiority over Sicily to Hurricanes but Me109s bailed them out.

Bessarabia, the Baltic states and eventually eastern Poland were occupied by the soviets. Tolvajarvi and the Mannerheim line fell. Finland abandoned Suomussalmi then garrisoned it over Helsinki as Leningrad was icebound and isolated Murmansk.

Germany landed at Trondheim which the French blockaded. The Germans landed at Bergen to avoid the French and advanced towards Oslo and Narvik. Kriegsmarine battlecruisers and heavy cruisers sailed for the convoy routes in the North Atlantic when the weather turned bad.

Port Said was taken by Italy and almost retaken the same turn which left the western desert open.

January 1940 Surface raiders laid into the Atlantic convoys. Pocket battleships heading for the south Atlantic found no tanker at the RV. Murmansk fell to the Finns and soviet armour were stymied by tundra. Still Karelia was cleared. Stavanger, Oslo and Narvik were assaulted and so Norway surrendered.
Spitfires and Hurricanes flew to southern France, threatening Valle d'Aosta and Piedmont. They hold a slight advantage over the Me109s and CR42s facing them. To compensate, German infantry from Poland railed to Turin.
The western allies stayed on the defensive, even in Egypt. Port Said was reinforced and Alexandria taken from the west.

February 1940 Subs and surface raiders sank 24 BRP of british transports. The french atlantic fleet missed the battlecruisers which returned to Wilhelmshaven, scared that the weather would improve. Pocket battleships off Cape Verde battered light ships that found them and slipped past heavier, slower groups. Down to their last drop of fuel, Spee, Scheer and Lutzow rode abnormally high out of the water when they crept into Amsterdam at last. Norway emptied, planes off to Sicily and infantry to the Rhine.

Britain blockaded Taranto and tried to invade Palermo losing 2 carriers, 1 infantry and 2 transports to bombers for a hit on the Me109s the 2nd infantry died on the beach.

Italians pushed on to Cairo. A half strength, unsupplied british infantry took a few of the enemy with it defending the Suez canal.

Suomussalmi fell to the russians again and they approached Murmansk. The road to Helsinki is open, most of the finnish army is in Lapland.

Thanks to Jon (allies) who's learning ETO because it's my favourite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magister Ludi
Australia
Fremantle
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Roll low!
badge
You are a paradox to me, a contradiction You're a predicament for me, and a prediction
mbmbmbmbmb
Some of the counters look like they have seen better days!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got this version back in 1990, most of the wear is from lots of solo play with the maps spread over the floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aussie550 wrote:
Some of the counters look like they have seen better days!

You should see his copy of Liberty Roads!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WWII:ETO is a very underappreciated gem. It has some cool mechanics and the simulation engine will present you with some pretty historical outcomes. If you like Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe you would probably like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stoddart
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Based on those counters, this must be the anachronistic 16th century version of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
WWII:ETO is a very underappreciated gem. It has some cool mechanics and the simulation engine will present you with some pretty historical outcomes. If you like Unconditional Surrender! World War 2 in Europe you would probably like this.

Yes. When I want more detail, I do Advanced ETO. But this TSR version done by Doug Niles is still one of my favorite games for the combination of playability, reasonableness of outcomes, and replayability. Speaking of worn out counters, I am on my second copy of this one.

Thanks for the AAR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Raitt
United Kingdom
Boston
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not any more, Hexasim sent me new liberty roads counters to stop the damage to their reputation.

In ETO the panzerwaffe get the most handling.

Somehow the back is more legible than then the front.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
polate wrote:

In ETO the panzerwaffe get the most handling.

Somehow the back is more legible than then the front.

These guys look like you found them in a bombed out building!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Quinta
Portugal
flag msg tools
There is a very good Vassal module to play this game online.
If any of you is interested in playing it using Vassal, contact me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.