GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,959 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Rune Age» Forums » General

Subject: Are the dice unbalanced? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm asking this question in a couple of forums.

Recently I saw a comment in the Hostage Negotiator forums suggesting the engraved dice may give disproportionate results. Another post on the topic analyzing 100 rolls of all six dice seemed to disprove that. It showed a relatively even distribution with just a minor deviation in favor of the fifth die face.

I know it can "feel" like dice are against you in any game but has anyone tried an empirical experiment with the dice in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't found it to be the case, but the die is rolled so infrequently that I wouldn't expect it to noticeably affect the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
It comes in pints? I'm getting one!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest trying the salt water test. You just fill a cup full of water and add a ton of salt (I mean a TON) until the die will float. Then just spin the die a bunch of times and see if it floats with the same number up repeatedly.

I tested most of my dice when I learned about this and can't count how many I threw out. Dice with swirly colors are the worst.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
foobrew wrote:
I'd suggest trying the salt water test. You just fill a cup full of water and add a ton of salt (I mean a TON) until the die will float. Then just spin the die a bunch of times and see if it floats with the same number up repeatedly.

I keep meaning to try that but am lazy. (And I have a lot of dice I could test.)

Quote:
I tested most of my dice when I learned about this and can't count how many I threw out. Dice with swirly colors are the worst.

Interesting.

I think airjudden wrote somewhere that he plays D6 games with a big bowl of many various D6 dice; each time he needs to roll, he grabs an arbitrary die from the bowl, rolls it, then puts it into a second discard bowl.

I.e. rolling a new die each time for each roll. A clever way to balance out any biases (if we assume that a bunch of dice from different sources will not all have the same bias, but have various different biases) (it seems a reasonable assumption).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tested Rune Age, but I tested all of my X-Wing dice with the salt water test and they were all fine. I doubt that the Rune Age die is significantly unbalanced. And even if it is unbalanced, it's the blank sides that should be the heaviest, meaning they're the least likely to be rolled. I don't see a problem with this since it makes the game slightly harder. You should always go into battle planning for the worst roll anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.