2 Posts

Breaking the Chains: Supplements» Forums » General

Subject: Zumwalts neither AMD or BMD capable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Red Dragon
United States
flag msg tools
First off, I'm really glad "The East is Red" expansion was made and I got it and BTC for my birthday recently.

It may not have been clear at the time of release, but it appears that the Zumwalts will not be capable of either Area Missile/Air Defense (AMD) or Ballistic Missile Defense(BMD). This is due to to the apparent downgraded radar and processing/tracking/directing capabilities which interplays with the inability to operate Standard Series missiles. What this means is the primary air defense is effectively only capable of self-defense and only employs Evolved Sea Sparrow Missiles(ESSM). The Zumwalts are primarily foreseen as advanced land-attack strike platforms, likely to dedicate much VLS space to LACMs, currently Tomahawks.

The Area Air/Missile Defense capability will be limited to the Arleigh Burke class destroyers and any surviving Ticonderoga class cruisers. The Ballistic Missile Defense capability will be much further limited to certain members of the above two classes.

See the following article for an analysis of the downgrades:
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/5343/the-navys-new-stea...

The first obvious change would be to remove the green AMD coloring from the defense value. Then the defense value should probably be significantly reduced, at least to 10 if not lower noting the lack of a CIWS. On the other hand one could consider giving the Zumwalts unique gunfire abilities to reflect the Advanced Guns System (AGS) which could also cover it's projected railgun replacement. Allow a gunfire attack with a range of 1, thus allowing it to fire guns into an adjacent hex. This would be capable of either anti-ship (AS) or anti-ground (AG) attack. I don't have the counter with me but the Gun value may need to be tweaked. It does appear that the gunfire support role is viewed as an important and very accurate component of this platform.

All that being said, any projections about the future are subject to so many variables, I direct no blame at the BTC team, they have done a great job. To that end I also look forward to many further scenarios and more expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gorkowski
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Red

Thanks for bringing this up. Hugely important detail worth following.

Thanks
John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.