Popular Tags: [View All]
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games in, once on normal and once on expert, and it just seems to me that Reign is substantially easier than vanilla Pandemic since its so much easier to share knowledge/clues.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yes, easier than Pandemic (prime).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While sharing clues is easier, the game itself is not easier. It is offset in that bad draws can easily have awakenings cascade and the old one track combines the equivalent of outbreaks, epidemics, and has the additional possibility of a Shoggoth awakening.

The bus action makes movement a lot easier. On the other hand the sanity rolls add additional set of problems and another way to lose. Normal mode has less turns than the equivalent pandemic game.

In all, I think it is a harder game on normal than a five epidemic pandemic. Time will tell if this holds up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
Remeber that you can only share clues refering to the city you both are. That really limits it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorondil wrote:
Remeber that you can only share clues refering to the city you both are. That really limits it.

Not nearly as limiting to the restrictions regarding knowledge share in vanilla Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The easier clue exchange is the primary reason I bought it. The more restrictive mechanism in regular Pandemic is just a little too much puzzle for my non-gamer GF, but this one she really enjoys.

It's good that the games are a little different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ok wrote:
casualgod wrote:
gorondil wrote:

Not nearly as limiting to the restrictions regarding knowledge share in vanilla Pandemic.

This is not vanilla pandemic. The game plays differently.

NEver said it was vanilla pandemic. I purchased it because I wanted a different experience. My only concern is that the game is too easy because it is much easier to share clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davi Rosa
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
From the Dungeons and Dragons 80's cartoon. If only it was remade...
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is different, therefore the comparison isn't that good. There are other factors that also make it more difficult, like going insane (caused by many factors, including the relics).
It is streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
Two games in, once on normal and once on expert, and it just seems to me that Reign is substantially easier than vanilla Pandemic since its so much easier to share knowledge/clues.

Thoughts?

Sharing clues may be easier, but I think this is offset by the added randomness of the die and the Old Ones (when and which ones appear). I've played 6 games so far:

1x solo with two investigators (Hunter & Magician), difficulty: introductory. It felt like a rather easy win, I think only two three Old Ones had to be revealed. Then again, I had only 4 cards left on the player deck, so not really a lot of extra time.

2x with 4 players (different investigators in each game), a group of Pandemic & Pandemic Legacy veterans, difficulty: expert. We lost both games. The first because we neglected the cultists and eventually ran out of them, the second I'm not sure anymore, possibly again due to running out of cultists or Cthulhu awakening.

3x with 4 players (Hunter, Driver, Detective & Reporter in all games), another group of Pandemic Legacy veterans, difficulty: introductory. We lost the first two games and won the third (with two cards left in the player deck and 4 or 5 Old Ones revealed).

So, at least for now, I'd agree with John Bruns above and say that in general it's not easier than normal Pandemic. I think the Old Ones have quite an impact on the difficulty level: depending on which ones get shuffled in and their order of awakening, the investigators might have a hard time pretty early on already. Ithaqua especially had quite a devastating effect on more than one of the playthroughs above. And once you reveal the 4th Old One, there are (usually) 3 cultists added to the board each turn, causing their reserve pool to dwindle at an uncanny pace...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bruns
United States
Naperville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:

1x solo with two investigators (Hunter & Magician), difficulty: introductory. It felt like a rather easy win, I think only two Old Ones had to be revealed. Then again, I had only 4 cards left on the player deck, so not really a lot of extra time.

With only two cards remaining, you should have had at least 3 old ones showing. Have you been awakening an old one on each evil stirs event? There should have been at least 3 and most likely 4 unless one of these was in the last 4 cards. That would also mean that you avoided any cultist awakenings or Shoggoths entering gates awakenings.

Missing step 2 from the evil stirs card would make the game quite a bit easier. Having only 2 old ones awake with only 4 cards left suggests you are missing this step. Having old one awaken at this time can often cause the equivalent of pandemic chain reactions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right of course. I guess it must have been 3 Old Ones then, I just wasn't thinking properly when I wrote my post above. And yes, I managed to avoid additional awakenings by shoggoths/rituals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hugolefou wrote:

We lost both games. The first because we neglected the cultists...

Dont forget to remove 1 cultist from each location in a town when you close a gate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Switzerland
Fribourg
flag msg tools
badge
muwins.ch
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
hugolefou wrote:

We lost both games. The first because we neglected the cultists...

Dont forget to remove 1 cultist from each location in a town when you close a gate!

We didn't forget. I think we actually neglected the towns where we had already closed the gates in order to exchange missing clue cards in other towns. They repopulated slowly, then Ithaqua showed up, slowing everyone down. Add to that a couple of "add 2 cultists" die rolls and a ritual here or there, resulting in further complications...

Edit: Also, we didn't have the Hunter in our team, which would have come in quite handy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silberklinge Warlord
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Up to now I have the feeling, that exchanging and managing clues in a 2-player game ist much easier than in a 4 player game.

Nevertheless i like it that you can give and take cards. It's more thematic and less cumbersome and quirky.

In my opinion the level of difficulty strongly depends on the order of the Acient Ones and which artefacts you get and when. Some are pretty strong. For example:
If you get the "elder sign"-artefact in the first third of the game it becomes pretty easy, cause you can ignore a whole city.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.