Subject: First play (5 players) - no session report, just some thoughts rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nico Robbemont
Belgium
Hoogstraten
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night we played Rhodes for the first time (5 players).

We all liked the mechanics and the flow of the game; it gives you enough to chew on.

We were less impressed though with the possibility for engine building.
Enough farmland and development tiles to choose from but most of them seem to be too expensive or not interesting enough for that cost.
Only exception is buying an extra farmland or the irrigation tile (which is a no-brainer and may even be too strong).

We will see what happens in our next play (possibly with a different player count) but wanted to share this.
We would like to hear the experiences of other geeks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hans Van Tol
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Nico,

Very understandable and relevant remark / feedback. I would like to give you some hints to improve the game and to make it more expert. For those who want to have more "depth" in the game in developing several strategic option can profit from lengthening the game a bit.

Our first advise is to lenghten the game by using all assignment tiles. This way the game takes about 2 rounds more, resulting in better chances for the VP strategy or other developments. This lengthens the game with about 15 minutes on average.

If you want to have more "meat" and "strategy" in the game, another possibility is to leave out the rewards in money for the assignments. This slows down the game significantly. If you combine both expert elements - thus use 15 assignments and leave out the money reward - the game can last about 2,5 hours which might be a bit too much.

We are testing the expert variants to make sure they work well and do not mess up the system, but for now I can advise you to try this COMBO: - leave out the money rewards for the assignment cards and stick to the original 12 assignment cards. This "messes up" the assignment - money - gold strategy a bit and gives more "room or space" to the other strategies as engine building for instance:).

So I would say: do try this at home:). And let me know what your experience is about this game variant.

The basis game will still have his high appeal to many, since it is easy flowing and the duration of the game is only 90 minutes. No more.

The Game Master

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian Tyree
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Nico. Hello, Hans.

I have done a couple of solo 5p runthroughs and I have experienced roughly the same thing Nico has. Money is very tight in this game, so it doesn't seem worth it to buy very many tiles per game.

An example: In my second playthrough, two of the leaders had only three tiles total. One got his points strictly through fulfilling assignments, the other through a combination of assignment and Poseidon development.
The one in last wanted to do a high resource strategy. He had five tiles: three different farmlands, a barn and Irrigation. And zero points. And the game was close to the end. And somehow he had zero goods in his warhouse, so he wasn't even close to making points. He had spent all game building an engine only to find there was no time left to benefit.
I believe the problem with this strategy is you can end up with a bunch of cubes, but you can only sell two per turn (four if you spend both actions doing so). Sure, you can also ship a couple each turn, but you're also suseptible to getting screwed during production. It's a very slow process to build up the money for tiles, especially when you sometimes have to pay to go first just so you can get a good production so that you have some cubes to sell.

This being said, I still quite enjoy the game and think there are possibilities for nice strategies.

For example: getting Wagon and Greek Trader early could lead to some early assignments. Or Wagons and Abundance might be fun, too. These are still reliant on favorable productions, however, as you still need the extra goods handy to put on ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Damian how do you feel the suggested "expert" variants would address your concerns?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.