Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In parts of the rules, they talk about map cards having spaces ("a Goblin space", "A pawn cannot be moved to a space on the same card").

Movement talks about moving spaces ("Move one space in any direction", "Players may move as many spaces").

But when I watch the videos, I see them calculating their movement not by spaces but by map cards (e.g., moving to a map card that is diagonal but ending on a space that is not directly diagonal, moving by foot 1 map card not 1 space).

Are they doing it wrong or do the rules have two definitions for 'space'?: Sometimes it means a map card and sometimes it means a space on a map card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Each map card has two spaces. Movement is calculated by map cards, not spaces. But when you arrive at the map card of your choice, you must choose one of the spaces on it to place your hero on. I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about foot movement? It explicitly says one space. Is it one space or one card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
EvanMinn wrote:
What about foot movement? It explicitly says one space. Is it one space or one card?

One card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
It wasn't a rock
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that the Foot card explicitly says "One space any direction," you can see how this might be just a wee bit confusing.

I trust this will be fixed before the game is printed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this has the potential to confuse people. I read the rules before watching the video and if I hadn't watched them, I would have gone by what the rules actually say and done movement by space rather than card.

My suggestion would be to use the term space only to mean a space on a card rather than having the meaning changing between rules.

When the rules are referring to a card, either use the term map card or come up with an other term (e.g., area, region) and use that term rather than trying to have the term space work for both meanings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
RockLobster wrote:
Given that the Foot card explicitly says "One space any direction," you can see how this might be just a wee bit confusing.

+1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
RockLobster wrote:

Yes it will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Mott
United States
York
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the exact same confusion. I'm glad the official rules will be more clear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too had the same confusion.

After watching an overhead video playthrough with a more finished prototype, the game world looked a whole lot more 'epic' if movement were by spaces and I was excited over the thought maybe that's how it was suppose to be played.

I'm a little disappointed that movement is by cards but I guess that makes the game play faster.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.