Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I don't know about you guys but I often have house rules for games I play (3/4 of them).. These r the ones I'm thinking for Star Trek ascendancy

1) variant in rulebook for starting with more resources & doing turns 1-3 together (depending on exploration how many turns)

2) have everyone do thier building phase together then bid for player order..

3) in turn order have each player do 3 commands then move to the next player.

Any suggestions or problems you see with this approach? I think you would be able to protect you fleets by spreading forces out in your planets (and you only have to survive 3 commands from each player,,???) and one player would have to be careful not to recast another with his 3 commands so the next player gets to reap the rewards zooming in and scooping up the planet/capital world. What else would change?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Holmstrom
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
I think extra resources plus no first contact and simultaneous turns on turn 1 should speed play.

The 3 commands and pass to the next player might actually slow the game down.

Simultaneous builds has the problem of players slow playing others to see what they build/invest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Day Life
msg tools
This game speeds up as you play.. but there is defiantly a "wait time" as you wait for your turn... I would bet that it could get worse with more players.

You could try the "G8 Game Timer"

It can time up to 8 people, has a load of settings like turn time per player, total game time, auto turn time based on a set end time for the entire game, can even set handitcaps so some players get more time.

you just need to press the big button to start your turn and end it.

Timers like this or sand drips or w/e work well in games with no or little player interaction. While there is combat dice rolling I think this game could be sped up significantly with stricter attention to turn time.

Side Note - This is what kickstarter is invented for.. I think the Boardgame community needs a jazzy nice looking one of these. I remember once there was a timer that was a kind of slightly rounded pyramid. It would start to flash after a set time period and you just picked it up and put it down on another face to restart the timer. I mean it was way simple compared to the G8 but it looked a lot less like a cheap calculator : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maldus Alver

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Seems easy enough, also remove hazard systems and stellar phenomon from the first 6 systems and remove crisis from the first 6 exploration decks to make that early game grind faster, also removes that early bad luck making it impossible to win streak that is a common problem in the game.

2.I agree in the building phase together. That seems like something that everyone can do without interfering at the same time. However keep the initiative bidding at the start rather than after building. Bidding for initiative may take some resources always which makes placing bids for initiative that much more strategic.

3.I'm not so sure about 3 commands then move on. In larger games (6+) you may want two players taking a simultaneous turns but with 3-5 I don't have any way of speeding up the command phase. However I think the command phase is the meat of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Time
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another thing that might speed the game a little is if you got to 6 players you could do 2vs2vs2 then trade agreements would still work and you could take turns at the same time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Do any of the other six optional rules for shorter gameplay, found on page 26, help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Hardy
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
I always use the option of starting with no Ascendancy. It slows things down a little but I think it's more fun not to start with fleets. You can speed up the later game (with massive ship battles) by rolling six or more dice at a time. This is not a game for one die!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabula Zero
msg tools
JustinT1 wrote:

1) variant in rulebook for starting with more resources & doing turns 1-3 together (depending on exploration how many turns)

Yes. That is what we do.

JustinT1 wrote:

I think this is a bad idea because you lose the ability to react to the previous player through your build phase. This makes having the initative very powerful. I can attack you but you may not have the assets to defend yourself because you did not build them in the first place.

JustinT1 wrote:

Possible but what is the differenc between doing 3 commands and 5-6. Not much. It complexifies the game for little benefit but it is probably worth a try. Makes initative less important.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking to let players do 1 or 2 actions per turn, then the next player does 1 or 2 actions. So each player can choose to do 1 to try to delay or do 2 to do something before others.

Bidding for turn order is a bit less important but can still have an effect.

I found this worked well in Terraforming mars, early game most did 1 action at a time, until later when we were fighting to get things first and doing 2 actions.

It does make having more commands slightly more powerful as you can perform the last actions easily, but is a lot easier to plan for than 6 or more actions of another player between turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Day

League City
Texas
msg tools
Tabulazero wrote:
JustinT1 wrote:

Yes. That is what we do.

JustinT1 wrote:

I think this is a bad idea because you lose the ability to react to the previous player through your build phase. This makes having the initative very powerful. I can attack you but you may not have the assets to defend yourself because you did not build them in the first place.

JustinT1 wrote:

Possible but what is the differenc between doing 3 commands and 5-6. Not much. It complexifies the game for little benefit but it is probably worth a try. Makes initative less important.

I feel the opposite about the build phase. If I win initiative but then you can build before I go, you can brace for my assault, making it much harder. Rather than making initiative more powerful I think it would make it less powerful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.