Hide
4 Posts

Legion» Forums » General

Subject: Legion Love rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Banks
msg tools
I don't understand why this game doesn't get more love. There seems to be some interest - the 2015 reprint sold out quickly - but there are next to no photos, and I haven't found a single (! not even one!) AAR.

I don't get it.

Legion is a predecessor of Phil Sabin's Lost Battles. The most common complaint against Lost Battles that I've seen is that the positioning of units is too abstract due to the large size of the "zones" used for area movement. I.e., if you play with miniatures, as long as the units are in the correct zone and facing the right direction their exact position doesn't matter to gameplay. This disconnects the visual configuration of the game table from the events that it's supposed to be representing. The table doesn't look like "what's going on," or, at least, it doesn't have to.

So... Legion is more-or-less Lost Battles played on a higher resolution hex-grid. Maneuver and positioning matters. Seems like people should love it.

Anyway, I have a plan to (maybe!) stir up some buzz. I'm going to assemble my copy into some nice counters, with a photographic documentary of the process. Then I'll play some solo games with AARs and see if I can get some discussions going.

- N
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
msg tools
I agree. I very much like this elegant game. My 9 year old loved the Zama quick play game almost as much as I did.

I was also planning on posting so here is a first look. I am tinkering with the Battle of the Sabis with terrain options. Here is the first shot at making terrain overlays. I know it is s not regulation. I am just trying some things for now.

I have a little trouble figuring out the hex size and number of men for each unit, but I am forging ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hansen
United States
Sun Valley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just looking into this game and noticed as well the rather sparse images for the game. I'm looking forward to your project for BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J F
msg tools
Below are pictures of the terrain set up for Sambre 57 B.C. The first is according to the rulebook as I interpret it. The second is based on some outside research.

Following are pictures of units on the board.

First, Some of Caesar's calvary scouts ahead of the column:

"Quintus, Do you think the Gauls are up that hill?"

Caesar's men begin work on a fortification on the hill on the Roman side of the river:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.