Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
29 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Why is the lion so badly done? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robyn Z
United States
Worcester
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Opened the box and my eyes focused right on the Lion why was this so badly made?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had the impression, that the white models are in general not as good as the gray ones. Maybe it is the material?

Bye
Thanee
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
I had the impression, that the white models are in general not as good as the gray ones. Maybe it is the material?

Bye
Thanee

yeah the white material is much more reflective than the grey one.

in the case of the lion you additionally have much more smooth surface which enhances the impression.
it isn't that bad once you apply a light paint job
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
If you want to see what a lion should look like from monolith look at the Namibian lion from mythic battles. That lion is gorgeous considering it's the same company and same artists. There is no reason why the Conan lion should look this poor.

This Facebook post is a picture of monolith making a lion correctly.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=943131149125202&id=530...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungo wrote:
If you want to see what a lion should look like from monolith look at the Namibian lion from mythic battles. That lion is gorgeous considering it's the same company and same artists. There is no reason why the Conan lion should look this poor.

This Facebook post is a picture of monolith making a lion correctly.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=943131149125202&id=530...

Conan's lion is certainly a little tamer, however given its pet-like presentation it's probably not unintended.

aside from and because of the really nice paint job, it's hard to tell from the image how much more details the model actually has, if that was your criticism.
don't know much about the progress of mythic battles, are that already production minis?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
asgorn wrote:
Gungo wrote:
If you want to see what a lion should look like from monolith look at the Namibian lion from mythic battles. That lion is gorgeous considering it's the same company and same artists. There is no reason why the Conan lion should look this poor.

This Facebook post is a picture of monolith making a lion correctly.
https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=943131149125202&id=530...

Conan's lion is certainly a little tamer, however given its pet-like presentation it's probably not unintended.

aside from and because of the really nice paint job, it's hard to tell from the image how much more details the model actually has, if that was your criticism.
don't know much about the progress of mythic battles, are that already production minis?

Seriously there is no way you can compare the two lions and just say conans lion is just a more tamed pose without being a massive apologist. This is the same company using the same artists and the Conan lion is significantly less detailed.
If you want to compare detail then Actually pay attention to the face (none paint details) and pay attention to the mane on the head which is significantly more detailed and actually contains tufts of hair that stick out instead of looking like a plastic texture blob.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. S.
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungo wrote:
...
Seriously there is no way you can compare the two lions and just say
conans lion is just a more tamed pose without being a massive apologist.

if I had to answer in kind, hmm let's see:
Seriously, there is no way you can take just the convenient argument and ignore the remaining points without being a massive simplificist(<- is that a word, if not I claim it. )

Honestly, the lion isn't my favourite model and I agree that the referenced lion has more details.
I just wanted to point out that comparing unpainted minis with expertly painted ones isn't the best basis, in particular since mini painting style is intended to highlight and add details.

Gungo wrote:

This is the same company using the same artists and the Conan lion is significantly less detailed.

even using the same artists you don't necessarily get the same quality, you can see that also within the range of the Conan minis.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ze Masqued Cucumber
France
flag msg tools
Protze et Chniaque !
badge
C'est le Gomazio à crête mordorée, dont le cri annonce le soir...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Artists are human beings, they can't be permanently at the peak of their art.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giuseppe Vecchione
Italy
Nocera Inferiore
Salerno
flag msg tools
Cut it to defend a bad job done with excuses like "the light reflects more"... the clear plastic used is a much worse and more soft quality plastic, the grey is better! Just seeing the lances of Belith's Guards, which are ALL wrong! And Conan! My God, Conan is very bad!

THIS is not a result worth $3.300.000 financing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
yuffie kasiragi
msg tools
Not sure what ppl expect, it's not like the Lion was a Unique model that you buy in 10$+ boxes, but rather a simple add-on to a hero that had to share production cost with ~200 other minis.

I'd be pissed off if it were a 10$ box model, too, but for 0.75$ it's hard to complain for me.
Considering that the Lion is the worst quality model of the whole bunch, it might also have been a production error/mold error.

Monolith really should have added a "beef up your models" package for the perfectionists that expect War Games model quality.


@asgorn:
It worked quite well to color the white models with a black base color to offset the reflectiveness (is that a word? *calls dibs, too*
;also thx for sharing your work
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Brazelton
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Test
Seriously, the entitlement that some people have is just crazy around here. A company throws in a ton of bonus stuff just for supporting their game, OUTSIDE of the main game, and this free stuff isn't up to their stupidly high standards, so they feel somehow justified to attack the creators. Get off your high lion people.
20 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is just the plastic colour, I thought the same, but the models are perfectly fine once you add a coat of paint.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Sanchez
msg tools
Stupid high standards no...basing and comparing it off monoliths own standard and being dissapointrd yes. Seriously if you think anything monolith provided is wargame quality you are either uninformed or bringing up strawman arguments that are simply not true.

This is a minature game where the majority of people bought it based on the quality of minatures. Receiving objectively comparable poor quality minatures from the same production company that are not up to monoliths own standard and complaining about them is a completely legit complaint. I bought this game because it had high quality single mold cast plastic production minis from a box game that I knew as a Kickstarter would have some production errors. However the Conan lion is a poor quality production that you would find from a hasbro board game not a boutique $200+ miniature game. The only way you can defend this huge variance in quality among monoliths own production line is because you are being a fanboy, because the lion itself is clearly one of the poorest quality minatures in the Conan line of 200+ minatures. This is not entitlement. Maybe you should actually look up what that word means. Because when you pay for something and are given clear quality guidelines and are shown a comparable quality production but recieve something less than what was offered is being screwed not entitlement.

It is not just the plastic color please objectively look at the Namibian lion from mythic battles and that is what the Conan lion should have looked like.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The lion mini actually looks quite close to the 3D model that was shown during the campaign. There is no reason to be "disappointed".

It is also true that the light plastic "hides" details compared to the grey one. I have seen most of the light plastic minis with a simple undercoat of black paint and the details are much more obvious.

I find the geant spider much more disappointing when comparing the actual mini with the 3d rendering that was shown during the campaign.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Was t the lion a free stretch goal along with the Conan that was intended as a thank you to backers?

Anything involving stretch goals does not get to draw the same umbrage as the "product" that you bought. Stretch goals still qualify as bonus content. Also, a standing pet Lion shouldn't be as textured as a lion in mid attack. Could it be better? Sure, but I don't want to look a gift lion in the mouth.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CK Lai
Malaysia
Subang Jaya
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
Was t the lion a free stretch goal along with the Conan that was intended as a thank you to backers?

Anything involving stretch goals does not get to draw the same umbrage as the "product" that you bought. Stretch goals still qualify as bonus content. Also, a standing pet Lion shouldn't be as textured as a lion in mid attack. Could it be better? Sure, but I don't want to look a gift lion in the mouth.


No. Backers had to pay an extra $45 to get the King Pledge with the lion in it. It's not a stretch goal.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungo wrote:
This is a minature game where the majority of people bought it based on the quality of minatures.


i like to think that most people bought it because Conan, man, CONAN!

i did, anyway.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
But I think they expressly said that the king Conan with Lion were a thank you.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
But I think they expressly said that the king Conan with Lion were a thank you.


Indeed, a "free upgrade". Update 74:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/806316071/conan/posts/1...

Quote:
I promised you a surprise, so I’m giving you a surprise! Presenting a model that a lot of you have been eagerly awaiting: King Conan! This Kickstarter exclusive model, based on the classic art of the very talented Gary Gianni is a free upgrade for all our KING level pledgers! Accompanied by a trained lion, this Conan is everything a King should be: proud, regal…and deadly!


(emphasis added)
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Stephan, I was scrolling for it!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squatting Monkey wrote:
Thank you Stephan, I was scrolling for it!


i tried that, but didn't find it - gmail found it for me .
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mathhatt wrote:
I find the geant spider much more disappointing when comparing the actual mini with the 3d rendering that was shown during the campaign.

I agree. Besides, mine came horribly off the center of the base. Is that normal?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Gungo wrote:
It is not just the plastic color please objectively look at the Namibian lion from mythic battles and that is what the Conan lion should have looked like.


Well, if you are talking about the details, then you should also keep in mind, that the MBP models shown at this point are made of resin and will lose quite a bit of detail, when done in plastic. It's not a fair comparison.

Bye
Thanee
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Hatt
France
Brest
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanee wrote:
Gungo wrote:
It is not just the plastic color please objectively look at the Namibian lion from mythic battles and that is what the Conan lion should have looked like.


Well, if you are talking about the details, then you should also keep in mind, that the MBP models shown at this point are made of resin and will lose quite a bit of detail, when done in plastic. It's not a fair comparison.

Bye
Thanee


Actually I am pretty sure that in the last couple of videos they described the models shown as "first draft plastic models" that are likely to get a bit improved for the final ones. So no resin models, but indeed plastic versions. At least in the most recent videos.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mathhatt wrote:
Thanee wrote:
Gungo wrote:
It is not just the plastic color please objectively look at the Namibian lion from mythic battles and that is what the Conan lion should have looked like.


Well, if you are talking about the details, then you should also keep in mind, that the MBP models shown at this point are made of resin and will lose quite a bit of detail, when done in plastic. It's not a fair comparison.

Bye
Thanee


Actually I am pretty sure that in the last couple of videos they described the models shown as "first draft plastic models" that are likely to get a bit improved for the final ones. So no resin models, but indeed plastic versions. At least in the most recent videos.


The minis for MBP will be out of a different plastic. I believe they said they will be out of stiff ABS instead of the softer PVC they used for Conan.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.