Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
We've now played the four basic scenarios (New schedule, Force field, Botanics capsule and Dust gremlins) and we've completed them without any difficulties. We've been playing two-player games. I've read through the rule-book multiple times and can't find anything that we're doing wrong. Has anyone else had this experience as well?

This is usually what we've been doing:
During the first cycle we've always been building energy installations (about 2-3 of them), getting energy from the RTG and removing a build marker from the laboratory. We've been getting the "DNA alterations" tech (+1 time per round) for both players as quickly as possible and then the "Birth control" (resulting in +1 round in cycle 3 & 4).
We've ignored disease tokens and just spent the extra time to bail out the workers. The "Medicine" tech has usually been acquired during the second cycle.

This opening leaves us with lots of time to do everything else needed. Energy has never really been limiting, except during a string of "Sand storm" weather cards or when the scenario has required us to spend energy.

We've had fun playing the game, but would like a bit more challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Brankov
Serbia
Novi Sad
Novi Sad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems that you've done everything needed to optimally win at this game. Is there a way to increase the difficulty level?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dukelander wrote:
It seems that you've done everything needed to optimally win at this game. Is there a way to increase the difficulty level?

During setup, you could place a certain amount of hunger and disease tokens in the quarters (which you normally don't). Try starting with half the usual amount and see how it goes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've now tried playing the Botanics capsule scenario (which is probably the easiest one) with the added rule that demand tokens does not get discarded at the end of the cycle. This made the scenario a little bit harder (since it no longer as feasible to ignore medicine until the last cycle).
It's still to early to see if this change is enough though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Coppini
Germany
Frankfurt am Main
Hessen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I'd say that since these are the basic scenarios they are probably the easiest of the bunch. If you feel they are too easy then probably it's better to play them in semi-coop? At least then you still have something fighting for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mickaël Rémondière
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I posted a topic to say the same 'too easy coop' but it was refused by bgg.
I don't understand why but I agree coop is too easy.

We won Botanic scenario with 3 coop players without any difficulty to fill l the demands each cycle and no problem to have one ressource tile for each player.
Quite strange.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Dattilo
Italy
flag msg tools
Just played the first scenario without any problems.
It was very easy.
At the beginning of the third round we had achieved almost all the winning conditions.

As I can read, also the following scenarios will be easy as the first one.

Is there any change to make the game harder in coop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniele Dattilo
Italy
flag msg tools
However I think the best and easier way to make the coop game harder would be to start with 2 Colonist tokens instead of 3(meaning that all the players have only 2 rounds in a cycle).

Obviously the remaining 2 Colonist tokens are blocked (3+3 birth-rate tokens needed to unblock them. So if the players play well - of course with the birth-rate technology developed - they start to collect the third Colonist Token at the beginning of the Third Cycle and the fourth at the beginning of the fourth cycle).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played the game a few times and losing once and barely winning the other two times (one time with a dead colonist), you are remembering that you don't receive your Action tokens back into your possession unless you spend one Time Unit, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, we're aware of that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ha! Okay, then it ain't easy!laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
Yes, we're aware of that.

So, it appears no one has actually won the solo mode of the first scenario due to either a lack of Action markers, but more notably, a lack of Time units. I'm sure when you stated "we" you meant "you" as quite a few players have noted the impossibility of having enough actions for the Resupply portion of the card. But, I'm in communication with RedImp, and I'll get us an answer.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I meant we as in "me and my wife". All games I've played have been two or three player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrik,

That's interesting that you mention 3-player games as my Solo and Co-Op experience has only included two "players" and I think adding that third player may help, coupled with the pattern you mentioned in the other thread.

Cheers,
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
We've now played the four basic scenarios (New schedule, Force field, Botanics capsule and Dust gremlins) and we've completed them without any difficulties. We've been playing two-player games.

I've just tried New schedule and failed to get energy soon, which prevent me from getting resources easily, ad so to supply my colony.

The events and the weather collaborated to decrease the energy production and so I had an epic fail : no one survived ...

I will retry this mission this week trying to better plan ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bon chance, Alexandre! It's all about Energy production in the beginning...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agoston Rozvanyi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am surprised: I tried twice New Schedule scenario SOLO mode, but I had no chance to win. I had to spend many time and money for getting back my action markers. Maybe I did something wrong: If I have disease tokens all 4 quarters, how many action markers I have to put on the board? 4? 8?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guszty wrote:
If I have disease tokens all 4 quarters, how many action markers I have to put on the board? 4? 8?

You shouldn't have so many tokens : the set-up is the same as for a 2-player game so you have 2 quarters and 2 diseases token added each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agoston Rozvanyi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xahendir wrote:
Guszty wrote:
If I have disease tokens all 4 quarters, how many action markers I have to put on the board? 4? 8?

You shouldn't have so many tokens : the set-up is the same as for a 2-player game so you have 2 quarters and 2 diseases token added each turn.

(ERRATA: Sorry, I meant hunger token, but it doesn't matter.)

Rules says for SOLO and coop mode:"The tokens are always placed from leftmost quartesr Q1 to Q4 on the right" (p. 11), and for 2 player game you have to put 4 hunger token, so you have to put a hunger token on all quarters. So as I see, number of used quarters independent of number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agoston,

Actually, you only place tokens in the number of quarters equal to the number of players.

Cheers
Joe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agoston Rozvanyi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Agoston,

Actually, you only place tokens in the number of quarters equal to the number of players.

Cheers
Joe

Thanks, I believe it, but
- Where can I read this in the rules?
- The question is similar: If I have disease and hunger token in SOLO game both quarters, I have to put 4 action tokens/Player (sum 4 astronaut) on quarters?

1 marker from player 1 for disease token on Quarter 1
1 marker from player 1 for disease token on Quarter 2
1 marker from player 1 for hunger token on Quarter 1
1 marker from player 1 for hunger token on Quarter 2
1 marker from player 2 for disease token on Quarter 1
1 marker from player 2 for disease token on Quarter 2
1 marker from player 2 for hunger token on Quarter 1
1 marker from player 2 for hunger token on Quarter 2

or what?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's too many workers.

The way it happens in the game, hunger/disease/oxygen tokens are placed into one quarter at a time. So in solo, there would be 1 oxygen, 1 disease, 2 hunger placed into 2 separate quarters.
The rules state at the quarters summary phase you add 1 worker into a quarter that has disease and 1 worker into a quarter that has hunger.
So if you cleared none of them at the end of a cycle there would be:

1 worker in quarter 1 due to hunger.
1 worker in quarter 1 due to disease.
1 worker in quarter 2 due to hunger.
1 worker in quarter 2 due to disease.

You would also use quarter 1 for one colour and quarter 2 for colour 2.

The rules state the placement on page 11 at step 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agoston Rozvanyi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vyking wrote:
That's too many workers.

The way it happens in the game, hunger/disease/oxygen tokens are placed into one quarter at a time. So in solo, there would be 1 oxygen, 1 disease, 2 hunger placed into 2 separate quarters.
The rules state at the quarters summary phase you add 1 worker into a quarter that has disease and 1 worker into a quarter that has hunger.
So if you cleared none of them at the end of a cycle there would be:

1 worker in quarter 1 due to hunger.
1 worker in quarter 1 due to disease.
1 worker in quarter 2 due to hunger.
1 worker in quarter 2 due to disease.

You would also use quarter 1 for one colour and quarter 2 for colour 2.

The rules state the placement on page 11 at step 2.

And what about this?
"Leaving any disease tokens (regardless of their number) means that the players must pay a penalty. Each player places one of their action markers in these quarters (in the infirmary area)." (Rules p. 18)

Sorry, maybe my English is not good enough, but that's means every player must place a marker in every quarters, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Downie
United Kingdom
Wirral
Merseyside
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That was changed in the errata to:
"Players must pay the penalty of placing an action marker in the Quarters Infirmary area for leaving any Disease tokens (regardless of their number)."

I may be reading it wrong but even though you are playing with 2 sets of worker/action markers, you are only 1 player so only activate the penalty once per quarter.
Would love to see Joe's take on this. Always good to get another opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agoston Rozvanyi
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, it'a littlebit better. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.