6 Posts

Monikers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Time's Up or Monikers Rule Set? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Up! [+] Time's [+] Monikers [+] [View All]
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
These games are interchangeable but each game has a slightly different rules set.

Time's Up!:
Round 1 - Cluegiver can say anything, passing is not allowed.
Round 2 - Cluegiver can say only one word, 1 guess only, passing allowed.
Round 3 - Cluegiver can't say anything. Only mimes and sounds, 1 guess only, passing allowed.

Monikers:
Round 1 - Cluegiver can say anything, passing allowed.
Round 2 - Cluegiver can say only one word, unlimited guesses, passing allowed.
Round 3 - Cluegiver can't say anything. Only mimes and sounds, unlimited guesses, passing allowed.

TL;DR:
Monikers allows passing in the first round while Time's Up! does not. Monikers always allows unlimited guessing while Time's Up restricts players to a single guess in rounds two and 3.

Which game has the better rules? Do you modify your rules? If so, what are they?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And remember, Time's Up! has the optional "strike a pose" Round 4.

I think we usually use Times Up! rules when we play Monikers as that's what we'd been playing before Monikers came out.

Isn't there also a video for Monikers where they encourage you to make up rules? Or maybe that was in the Shut Up & Sit Down review....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I the fourth round isn't something that really interests me that much but is it something you've had fun with?

The Time's Up! rules do look a little more interesting to me, but I'm not sure if the group would enjoy the freedom of unlimited guesses.

If I could get this to table more often I'd love to test everything in between!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:
I the fourth round isn't something that really interests me that much but is it something you've had fun with?

Yes, quite a bit, though the last few games we haven't used it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I should definitely give that additional round a shot. I'm just worried the game will fall flat because my group will think that extra round is a step too far.

Anyway, tonight I tried out Monikers with both the Time's Up! and Monikers rules set. I've found the Time's Up! rule set to be the way to go. Having the sightly more relaxed rules of Monikers mutes the competition a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JJ Breese
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the Monikers rule set works better when there are only 2 teams (so for a group of 8: 2 teams of 4), whereas the Time's Up rule set works better if you play in pairs (4 teams of 2). It would suck to play as a large team and only get one guess per card. The 1 guess rule is good for preventing people from simply listing every card in the current deck, though.

As for the additional rounds, my group played the variations shown in the SU&SD video and had a blast (appendages only and head only). It's extra silly and the things people come up with are hilarious. Even if the clue is hard to give with those restrictions, people often guess it based on simple movements abstracted from previous clues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.