Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flowchart options include "Poor spaces where Jihad Success Possible". Since the Jihad Bot will never Jihad in Poor spaces, how can a Poor space be an option?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Joe,

You are correct in that the Bot will not attempt Minor Jihad in a Poor space, but it will attempt Major Jihad there. Hope that makes sense.

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmtadam wrote:
Hi Joe,

You are correct in that the Bot will not attempt Minor Jihad in a Poor space, but it will attempt Major Jihad there. Hope that makes sense.

Adam

But how can Poor spaces be considered for placement/recruitment, etc., if Major Jihad success is not yet possible, and Jihad won't occur?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Joe,

The JSP check is there only to ensure the Bot doesn't waste effort in a country where the net Awakening - Reaction is such that a potential Jihad roll has no chance to succeed (+3 or more).

Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The Bot will try to get enough cells in a country so that it can attempt Major Jihad on a subsequent card. Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nmtadam wrote:
The Bot will try to get enough cells in a country so that it can attempt Major Jihad on a subsequent card. Does that make sense?

The "JSP" in the box is what makes it confusing because Jihad isn't possible in Poor countries. I've been playing it wrong.

I guess I'll take the action in Poor countries where there are 1-4 cells regardless of the JSP requirement if that's the intent.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe you should think of it in terms of Major or Minor Jihad. Major Jihad is allowed in Poor countries, therefore Jihad Success is possible in poor countries.

Minor Jihad is not allowed in Poor countries, but (Major) Jihad Success is still possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Christianv wrote:
Maybe you should think of it in terms of Major or Minor Jihad. Major Jihad is allowed in Poor countries, therefore Jihad Success is possible in poor countries.

Minor Jihad is not allowed in Poor countries, but (Major) Jihad Success is still possible.

Major Jihad can't occur until there are five or more cells than troops there. This isn't the case most of the time when I'm going through the Jihad Bot flowchart, so JSP is not yet possible: either because a Major Jihad isn't yet possible (because there aren't enough cells), or because Minor Jihad doesn't happen in Poor countries. So I've been skipping over the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let me quote that flowchart's fragment:

Quote:
Poor Muslim with 1-4 Cells more than TandM where JSP?

I think it's clear that JSP does not consider if a Jihad is legally possible but only if, taking all the applicable modifiers, an hypothetical Jihad operation has any chance to succeed.

So, bear with me and let's assume there's a Poor Country with 1 Troop and 4 Cells: the flowchart will very probably lead you to add Cells to that Country to increase the chance that next time the answer to "Major Jihad at Poor possible?" be positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JOE LIBRANDI
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evacbs wrote:
Let me quote that flowchart's fragment:

Quote:
Poor Muslim with 1-4 Cells more than TandM where JSP?

I think it's clear that JSP does not consider if a Jihad is legally possible but only if, taking all the applicable modifiers, an hypothetical Jihad operation has any chance to succeed.

So, bear with me and let's assume there's a Poor Country with 1 Troop and 4 Cells: the flowchart will very probably lead you to add Cells to that Country to increase the chance that next time the answer to "Major Jihad at Poor possible?" be positive.

Right- but my point is that the other requirement is JSP, and JSP isn't possible at the moment of placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian van Someren
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Right- but my point is that the other requirement is JSP, and JSP isn't possible at the moment of placement.

Right, I can see why that might be unclear. The way I read things, you should consider whether or not JSP is possible in you placed more cells. You would not consider countries like say, Pakistan with Bhutto (no Jihads allowed) in effect, or a country with 3 Awakening markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
joe6778 wrote:
Major Jihad can't occur until there are five or more cells than troops there. This isn't the case most of the time when I'm going through the Jihad Bot flowchart, so JSP is not yet possible: either because a Major Jihad isn't yet possible (because there aren't enough cells), or because Minor Jihad doesn't happen in Poor countries. So I've been skipping over the box.

I totally agree, my first game was highly skewd due to the sometimes too succinct wording in the flowcharts.
Would I be correct then to play that box like; If more cells are added Major Jihad would be possible, therefore yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JSP = Jihad Success Possible

Despite what the OP kept saying, there is absolutely no mention of the type of Jihad, so it simply means right that: with the current number of Troops + Militia, Cells, Awakening and Reaction markers and any other applicable modifier, can a Jihad of any kind be successful?

If the answer is positive, follow the arrow with Yes and see what happens next (if you're in that box which says Poor Muslim with 1-4 more Cells than Tandy where JSP? a positive answer could lead, down the road, to a Travel operation which would add more Cells to that Country and maybe next turn the Jihadist Bot will be able to cause havoc with a Major Jihad, but that's another story).

Flowcharts are written in a concise way, yes, but the golden rule is always the same: don't try to read into the rules what is not there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
evacbs wrote:
Despite what the OP kept saying, there is absolutely no mention of the type of Jihad

No, you're right. In the rules it says just that; Jihad. I guess what causes all the confusion (for me anyway) is that in the PACs it just says Jihad (about minor) and then there is Major Jihad so I'd say that some of the confusion is valid.

I can feel that the rules should have been written in such a way that made it really clear that Jihad can be either (or both). I don't know, maybe it does (I may have missed that part) but then that distinction should be reflected everywhere in the rules as well as PACs and cards.

Don't get me wrong, I say all of this with the outmost respect for the designer(s) and I think this game seems really great. I just have to get a little more experience under my belt as I haven't nailed down the routines just yet. Moreover it is that fact, as you mentioned, that one shouldn't read into a lot of stuff that isn't there...

Now that we've cleared this up I will sit down tonight and maybe I can finally play a whole game within a reasonable timeframe.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.