Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So certain endeavors are know to not grant glory as seen in the FAQ(certain rolls required in the captain's booke).

So in the event of the advisor that grants an extra glory for endeavors completed with no damage taken, would he raise the reward for one of these to 1 or do they simply not qualify as "real" endeavors?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they qualify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also saw this in the FAQ today after our 6th game. The rest is spoilery:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We had been giving glory for things like explore/raid endeavors in the Captains Book that result from some dangerous waters cards. We were doing this because of the rule on page 10 explaining endeavors:
"If you did not roll a single success, or if your ship sank as a result of taking damage, the endeavor is a failure and your turn ends immediately. Otherwise, you succeed (even if you took damage).
Gain 1 glory for a successful endeavor, and your turn continues.

We have been playing that as long as you get 1 success in these type of endeavors, you have succeeded for 1 glory. It also made sense thematically to us that you would gain glory for venturing into the dangerous waters and exploring/raiding there.

So I'm really curious to know the answer to OP's question as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think not. The word "endeavor" is used in multiple ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I play as dangerous water, atoll explore don't award any glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they didn't intend it this way, I wish they hadn't worded it as "Attempt an Explore endeavor." That seems so clear cut to me when compared with the rule I listed above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Temelin wrote:
If they didn't intend it this way, I wish they hadn't worded it as "Attempt an Explore endeavor." That seems so clear cut to me when compared with the rule I listed above.

Please refer to https://boardgamegeek.com/article/23674990#23674990

Rule 4 indicate You do not gain glory for passing a Dangerous water check.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciate the link. It's difficult to thread search some of these things because of so many rules question threads.
That should probably be added to the FAQ, unless I'm blind and missing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bower
United States
Springfied
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It was clear in the FAQ that atolls don't give glory. My only wonder was if the advisor that gives an extra glory can make an atoll worth 1 if you take no damage.

They really should never have called them endeavors if they weren't supposed to give glory though, especially since only the Dangerous waters specified no glory. Very confusing in all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Dangerous Waters and Atolls never give glory unless explicitly stated in the Captain's Booke.

Advisors won't increase the amount of glory for any endeavor from 1 to 0 - only from N to N+1, where N=\0

And yeah, we should have been more exacting in the caveats to those Endeavor advisors. There is a LOT of language in this game, and we did our best to keep it consistent so the cognitive weight would be as low as possible - the tradeoff, of course, is ambiguity in some areas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Nolto
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Atoll card told me to perform an Explore endeavour. So, wouldn't that count as an "Explore Endeavour" and grant me 1 glory (if successful)? So too, wouldn't the advisor grant me an additional glory if I take no damage?

Also, is this in the unofficial FAQ?

Thanks for your help Jayahre and BGG.

Edit: I understand that it didn't tell me to gain a glory, but it specifically told me to do the things that specifically grant me glory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.