Subject: Madness draw rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Hi guys

So was wondering about this.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In the last scenario of the campaign some parts of the campaign might make you draw a madness card to your hand from the deck of basic weaknesses. Since it is the last mission of the campaign this doesnt matter as much, but

A: Should the madness be put into the player discard pile once the effect is over? Or removed from game?

B: If it in a later campaign gets added this way earlier in the campaign does the card then get added to the deck, or would it have to be specified more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules Reference, "Weakness", page 21:
"If a weakness is added to a player’s deck or hand during the play of a scenario, that weakness remains a part of that investigator’s deck for the rest of the campaign. (Unless it is removed from the campaign by a card ability or scenario resolution.)"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I freaking love this mechanic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
I freaking love this mechanic

People are asking a lot about variety and replayability.

This is the sort of mechanic that makes every play through of the campaign a different experience every time.

What happens in one scenario causes actual changes to your investigator (trauma, added cards, experience, etc.) that will affect the next scenario and by the end of the campaign, it writes its own story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
However this effect makes it very important that you keep your second copy of basic weakness cards, for when you are playing with 3-4 players. (At least untill several expansions have come out) Even if you are in the group that will draw weakness cards from only one core set when first starting. Because if you do not keep that second core set of weakness cards you might run out mid campaign.

This was very nice to know for me since im the opposite of a horder, i will only be keeping the cards i actually need from the second core set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had thought that the rules specified that the weakness deck shouldn't be duplicated; that is, if you have two core sets, to only use the weaknesses from one?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manydills wrote:
I had thought that the rules specified that the weakness deck shouldn't be duplicated; that is, if you have two core sets, to only use the weaknesses from one?

Learn to Play, page 14:

"To select a random basic weakness, take a set of the ten basic weaknesses in this core set, shuffle those weaknesses together, and draw one at random to add to the investigator’s deck. Some Arkham Horror: the Card Game products add additional basic weakness cards to a player’s collection. Simply add these cards to the ten cards found in the core set when selecting random basic weaknesses in the future.
For example: Stephanie owns two copies of the core set, one copy of the first deluxe campaign expansion, and one copy of the first Mythos pack. To create a single set of basic weaknesses, she takes all of the basic weaknesses in one core set, in one copy of the first deluxe campaign box, and in one copy of the first Mythos pack, and shuffles them together. Her basic weakness is drawn at random from this pool."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Note, however, that those are specifically the rules for building decks at the start of the campaign. The scenario effects explicitly instruct you to "search the collection for a random basic weakness"; elsewhere, the "collection" is defined as the set of cards from which you built your deck.

In other words, if you're playing with more than two investigators, then the collection will include at least two core sets. You only use one of them when drawing basic weaknesses at the start of the campaign, but you must search through both of them when drawing from the collection due to scenario effects.

(As others have pointed out, without this rule, you might not have enough weaknesses to go around in a 3+ investigator game.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rsdockery wrote:
Note, however, that those are specifically the rules for building decks at the start of the campaign. The scenario effects explicitly instruct you to "search the collection for a random basic weakness"; elsewhere, the "collection" is defined as the set of cards from which you built your deck.

Exactly as you noted. The deckbuilding rules say to use one set of Madness cards even if you have two core sets when building your deck. And if instructed to search your collection, you use the collection as defined when you built your deck, that is with one set of Madness cards.

With the core set scenarios, even with 4 players, there should be enough.
[I was wrong about this. There might not be enough unless both core sets are used.]

Personally, I like the idea of adding multiple sets so there can be investigators with the same weakness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Rueløkke
msg tools
Richard i am sorry but there might not be enough.

In 1 core set there is 10 weakness cards. Of thoose 6 of them are madness cards.

Lets say we in a 4 player game by chance all pull a madness cards in the start of the campaign, later we all fail a test that make us draw another madness card. With only 2 madness cards left we wont be able to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drakthalos wrote:
Richard i am sorry but there might not be enough.

In 1 core set there is 10 weakness cards. Of thoose 6 of them are madness cards.

Lets say we in a 4 player game by chance all pull a madness cards in the start of the campaign, later we all fail a test that make us draw another madness card. With only 2 madness cards left we wont be able to.

You are right. I stand corrected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for clearing that up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.