Subject: [SPOILERS] Rules concerning rule 21 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jesse largent
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I have a question of how people have been playing raiding to conquer a colony. The rules are pretty clear about your not being able to raid a site on an inactive colony. However, is raiding to conquer a colony raiding a site? Are you effectively unable to raid an unactivated colony?

It say you make a raid action against the colonies defense but doesn't say anything about site. On the other hand, an inactive colony card (flipped) also doesn't have a defense value. So does this mean a defensive strategy would be to not activate certain colonies so people couldnt conquer them from you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [SPOILERS] Rules concerning raiding to conquer colonies
Surely you can't prevent your colonies from being conquered just because they are inactive. Use the defense value on the colony regardless of which side the card is on. It's the province marker on the map that is the definitive indication of whether the colony is active or inactive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to admit the rules are awfully unclear. I would say that if you conquer an inactive colony it remains inactive, while if you conquer an active colony it remains active. But I'm only inferring or guessing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jesse largent
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
That's my thought as well. Thematically AND logistically it would seem weird to be able to just sit on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TJ
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [SPOILERS] Rule 21
The subject of this thread has some spoilers in it, I would suggest changing it to [SPOILERS] Rule 21

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Surely you can't prevent your colonies from being conquered just because they are inactive. Use the defense value on the colony regardless of which side the card is on.

I can see this going either way here, that you can't conquer an inactive colony or that you can. As OP pointed out it makes a strategic difference if you can't conquer an inactive one, knowing when to make it active to best help you without making it vulnerable is important. Again why would you be able to raid something that doesn't have a defense value? When the colony is turned face down it doesn't do or have anything. But I could be convinced the other way for it always being available to conquer.

DaviddesJ wrote:
It's the province marker on the map that is the definitive indication of whether the colony is active or inactive.

It is actually both the province marker an the fact that the card is face up that tells you a colony is active.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As an aside, does anyone else find it difficult to reply to multiple parts of a quote with spoiler tags on both the quote and answers?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mcs1213 wrote:
It is actually both the province marker an the fact that the card is face up that tells you a colony is active.

What are you basing that on? There's nothing in the rules that mentions turning the card over. But it does say that you place a province marker and that shows that the colony is active.

Rule 21 should probably say that when you conquer the colony you replace that province marker....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not in the rules, it's on the cards themselves. The back of the colony cards all say "Inactive" and have another space for your to write the colony's name. The clear implication (to our group, at least) is that the colony cards start out flipped to their inactive side while they're inactive, then are flipped over to their active side once activated.

(For this same reason, I'd disagree with your idea in another thread that the fields on inactive colonies can be harvested. If it's inactive, the card is on the inactive side, and you can't see or use anything on the active side).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree there's a kind of implication, but since it's not mentioned in the rules it seems wrong to put too much weight on it. You could just as easily conclude that the two sides are just for convenience to remind yourself, but there's no functional effect of flipping the card over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt S
United States
Sharpsburg
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
I agree there's a kind of implication, but since it's not mentioned in the rules it seems wrong to put too much weight on it. You could just as easily conclude that the two sides are just for convenience to remind yourself, but there's no functional effect of flipping the card over.

I would say that the functional effect of flipping is not just to remind yourself but to give a visible status of that province. In a similar way that you flip over/ exhaust your advisors. Plus why make the printing of the card actually say inactive on the back if you aren't expected to turn them over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Some clarifications:

You're allowed to look at both sides of a colony card at any time, of course, and it's not required that you keep inactive colonies face-down in front of you. However, it's a useful visual tool for other players to quickly scan and see what you control that is active or inactive, so I recommend that you do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
clarence
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Some clarifications:

You're allowed to look at both sides of a colony card at any time, of course, and it's not required that you keep inactive colonies face-down in front of you. However, it's a useful visual tool for other players to quickly scan and see what you control that is active or inactive, so I recommend that you do it.

am i right to say that you can harvest from your inactiv colony in the 1st winter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
You may never harvest from an inactive colony.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.