Hide
14 Posts

New Bedford» Forums » Rules

Subject: What do the "round 12" instructions mean on the captain boards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Doyen
msg tools
On Flask for example, under the helm it reads Round 12: 1)Victory Point Barrel, 2)Launch Ship Icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddoyen wrote:
On Flask for example, under the helm it reads Round 12: 1)Victory Point Barrel, 2)Launch Ship Icon.

Rather than roll for their actions for round 12, the captains automatically attempt to take the actions listed "Round 12:".

So in your example, Flask would try to buy a Victory point building for his first action, then would attempt to launch a ship for his second action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Doyen
msg tools
Thanks again man. Is that mentioned in the rules? I couldnt find it anywhere..or is there a more comprehensive FAQ other than the one listed in the general forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddoyen wrote:
Thanks again man. Is that mentioned in the rules? I couldnt find it anywhere..or is there a more comprehensive FAQ other than the one listed in the general forum?

The question was answered in the forums somewhere. I thought it was in the FAQ as well, but I could be wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is so inconsistent. Worker 2 is supposed to launch a ship. Do we assume it's supposed to be a "prepare AND launch" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
It's only Prepare and Launch if it has both icons.
When the Round 12 instructions just have the Launch icon, it's because the captain makes a last push to get a ship out and avoid having something stuck on the dock. If the Dry Dock is out that would let the Captain launch if a ship isn't prepared. But otherwise, the Captain would only try to launch, and then follow the Captains orders if that doesn't work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:
When the Round 12 instructions just have the Launch icon, it's because the captain makes a last push to get a ship out and avoid having something stuck on the dock. If the Dry Dock is out that would let the Captain launch if a ship isn't prepared. But otherwise, the Captain would only try to launch, and then follow the Captains orders if that doesn't work.

OK, but for Flask - since every one of his orders on the rondel is both Prepare AND Launch, he never has a boat just sitting there on the dock. Unless I'm playing him wrong and he was just supposed to do one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
Sivilized wrote:

OK, but for Flask - since every one of his orders on the rondel is both Prepare AND Launch, he never has a boat just sitting there on the dock. Unless I'm playing him wrong and he was just supposed to do one or the other.

I have always played it is one or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
reverendunclebastard wrote:
schiavonir wrote:
Sivilized wrote:

I have always played it is one or the other.

Yep and it looks like you were correct in that. And I replied to your SGOYT comment too. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike F
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How frustrating. The rules say it is a "Combined Prepare/Launch: Prepare first, if possible, then launch."

It's horribly worded. To me, it means a ship is made AND launched. But, as pointed out above, that can't be right or Flask would have no ships to launch in Round 12.

I like the game, but the errata/FAQ is piling-up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rigol wrote:
How frustrating. The rules say it is a "Combined Prepare/Launch: Prepare first, if possible, then launch."

It's horribly worded. To me, it means a ship is made AND launched. But, as pointed out above, that can't be right or Flask would have no ships to launch in Round 12.

I like the game, but the errata/FAQ is piling-up.

I like it too, but when I see it on the shelf, thinking about the headache of the rules ambiguity keeps me from pulling it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nat Levan
United States
Glenside
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hast ye seen the White Whale?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. We're rewording that section for future printings.

New wording of that will be "Treat as a Prepare heading, unless the Captain cannot prepare another ship, then treat as a Launch Heading."

The intent is that captains prefer preparing ships to launching them, but if you determine they can't prepare (either because a building isn't available or they don't have a ship left) they launch instead. You have to sort of look ahead and say "If I keep following the Captain's orders, he won't be able to prepare, so let me check to see if he can Launch"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger S
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sivilized wrote:

New wording of that will be "Treat as a Prepare heading, unless the Captain cannot prepare another ship, then treat as a Launch Heading."

The intent is that captains prefer preparing ships to launching them, but if you determine they can't prepare (either because a building isn't available or they don't have a ship left) they launch instead. You have to sort of look ahead and say "If I keep following the Captain's orders, he won't be able to prepare, so let me check to see if he can Launch"

So if the captain has one ship already prepared and needs to follow that order, does he prepare the other ship, or does he launch the one that's already prepared?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schiavonir wrote:
Sivilized wrote:

So if the captain has one ship already prepared and needs to follow that order, does he prepare the other ship, or does he launch the one that's already prepared?

He would prepare the other ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.