Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello to all,

I couldn't find an answer here or in the rule book, but apologies if this has been clarified (or if it's a silly question).

The Sling item card has two surge abilities, the first of which actually lists two abilities (+1 range, +1 damage) separated by a comma.

Does the comma mean 'AND' or does it mean 'OR'?

Thanks for your time and help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ruescher
United States
West Milford
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
And
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the very quick reply, Robert.
Just out of curiosity, is this specified anywhere in the rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kallan Greybe
msg tools
I don't think it is mentioned explicitly, but logically "or" is where they print a different surge ability.

That does mean that we're lacking an exclusive OR function, but honestly I'm not too bothered at the loss. I guess if they were desperate they could bring in a slash or even just put OR on the card in bold. Wouldn't be very 2nd ed to do that though: we're supposed to be getting more streamlined, not less (says the guy who needs to buy a new miniatures case because he can't stop buying expansions: I'm up to taking up two seats on the Tube on the way to meetups as is).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wiser wrote:
Thanks for the very quick reply, Robert.
Just out of curiosity, is this specified anywhere in the rules?

It's actually really funny that you should ask about the sling (it is not a dumb question). On page 14, there is an attack example- the weapon Tomble is attacking with in the sling. In the box explaining the spend surges step, I'd say there is a sentence which answers your question. "His weapon has two surge abilities listed, 'S: +1 Range, +1 W', and 'S:$tun'." (I abbreviated some words). The point is that were the range and damage separate surge abilities, it would have said "three surge abilities".

None of this is the funny part. The funny part is that the situation would be 100% clear now if FFG wrote in the example, "Tomble soends the surge on stun," but they don't. The example reads, "Tomble spends the surge to add +1 damage to the attack." My explanation for that ambiguity is in the previous step (check range) they explained that he needed 3 range, but already had 4, which is more than enough, so the range in step 4 was probably an oversight. I am confident that all of the text following a surge icon is part of the same surge ability. In other words, spending a surge alters the attack results based on all of the following text. There isn't an explicit OR between surge abilities because there is no restdiction to spend only 1 should you have multiple surges (by spending 2 surges Tomble could add +1 range, +1 damage, and stun). There is neither an implicit nor an explicit 'or' between the range and damage because they are a package deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fox Reinard
msg tools
Serena (Agent): Surge: Poison, Disease

If this attack deals at least 1 (Heart) (after the defense roll) the target is Poisoned and Diseased

This is anecdotal, but there are no examples I can think of where any surge instructs you to choose between effects separated by a comma, and 100% of those I can name (Serena Agent's) instruct explicitly to apply both effects separated by a comma.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Teroux
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-> Paul, thank you very much for taking the time to explain the rule book example. What's equally funny is that I read the rule book at least once from cover to cover, and yet I didn't seem to remember that the combat example included a sling!

-> Fox: thank you for that example. It does help to clarify things quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.