Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This style confounds natural link highlighting in the browser, and doesn't look as good. Are you in the middle of a series of tweaks? I would suggest fixing the following things:

- Name the styles.

- In the hierarchy of the layout, there is a huge inconsistency in where the spacing is defined. If you always let the parent control the child's external spacing, it will be so much easier to make things line up and look nice. Put all spacing values in the styles rather than the HTML.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
Developin' Developin" Developin!!
badge
100 geekgold for OverText, and all I got was this stupid sentence.
mbmb
ekted wrote:
This style confounds natural link highlighting in the browser, and doesn't look as good.

Previously, almost everything on the front page was in blue, and, at least in my opinion, that didn't look good either. It led to what I refer to as "link fatigue," where everything is linked, and new users might be overwhelmed, unsure of what to click. We decided to make the usernames and number of thumbs "unmarked" links; compared to using the front page to find threads, there is little reason for someone to click on a link to a user's profile from the front page. It makes the useful links, i.e., the thread titles, pop out from the page, making it clearer where the useful links are. I suppose if we really wanted to do it right, we might make it so that the thumb numbers and the usernames don't link to anything, but even though they are far less useful than the thread titles, some people might use them. But by keeping them blue, it gave equal weight to all links, both the useful ones, and the nearly useless ones.

If you can think of another way to mark the useful vs the not so useful links, we are open to suggestions. Honestly, though, I think this works. The black links are there for conveniences of the regular users, who will know about them; the first-time and casual users won't care about clicking on usernames anyway, at least not from the front page, so no need to confuse them by pointing out links they have no use for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use links in BGG extensively. I leave links marked as visited (including threads, games, users) as a way to mark stuff that is or might be interesting (eg GeekBuddies). I have an extension that unmarks links if I view something that I want to forget about.

I see your point, and can only suggest that normal linking be optional. But again, this is such a minor issue compared to the bigger visual consistency and aesthetics issues I have with BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
If you have more specific and easy-to-implement suggestions for improving consistency and aesthetics, I'm sure we'd consider them. But Aldie is the only one working back there right now, so such issues often take a back seat to more pressing concerns, such as keeping the site running.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmbmbmb
This was just a band-aid. I think at some point I'm going to have to get a real web designer do a major overhaul.

If you any budding web designers are out there and want to make their mark on BGG - send me your email address and availability. I am not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I think it will be coming soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Well, I'd like MY "username" to be all 'shiny' and "sparklie" and "frickin' laser"-rific! Use what you have with these others here:
goldencamelworkerbuildingaristocrattrade
a "sharks" head would also be 'nice'!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG definitely has a face only a geek could adore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
This was just a band-aid. I think at some point I'm going to have to get a real web designer do a major overhaul.

It would be really good if the focus was on usability. BGG has an amazing feature set -- the best of any reference site I've seen -- but the way it's grown organically has made the interface a bit of a mish-mash.

For example, some links open in the current window, and some open in a new window. There's the title attribute versus alt attribute versus hovering DHTML. And so on. There are very well known best practices ans standards for this sort of thing, and following them would improve BGG (probably much more than a new logo and colour scheme).

This is your guy:

http://www.sensible.com/services.html

Honestly, BGG is too big for a 'budding web designer' to take on. I used to work as part of a team doing webdev / usability for large government and multinational sites, and it's more complex than 90% of the stuff that we handled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
BGG definitely has a face only a geek could adore.

...but we do adore it! I love the site as is, I guess I'm so used to it I can't hardly imagine anything else (or better). But hey, things change I guess. Here's to the future! I don't mind the black links. Actually didn't even notice it until I saw this thread.

Anyhoo, three cheers for Aldie and the admins for all their effort, even when we don't always agree with it devil Still takes a ton of work to keep a site like this going. Thanks all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:

If you any budding web designers are out there and want to make their mark on BGG - send me your email address and availability. I am not ready to pull the trigger yet, but I think it will be coming soon.

Thinking of places to get ideas from, what about those nifty new web 2.0 start pages. I use www.netvibes.com, but www.schmedley.com looks more promising for BGG ideas.

Of course, neither of those look very easy to pull off.

Also, I recommend Don't Make Me Think by Krug as a good book on web usibility.

CH
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Karp
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmb
LetsGetTrivial wrote:
Thinking of places to get ideas from, what about those nifty new web 2.0 start pages. I use www.netvibes.com, but www.schmedley.com looks more promising for BGG ideas.

Of course, neither of those look very easy to pull off.

Also, I recommend Don't Make Me Think by Krug as a good book on web usibility.

Thanks--there are some interesting ideas there!

Don't Make Me Think is already required reading around here, even if you might not know it from some of our implementations. You are right--it is an excellent book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sbszine wrote:
Aldie wrote:

It would be really good if the focus was on usability. BGG has an amazing feature set -- the best of any reference site I've seen -- but the way it's grown organically has made the interface a bit of a mish-mash.

For example, some links open in the current window, and some open in a new window. There's the title attribute versus alt attribute versus hovering DHTML. And so on. There are very well known best practices ans standards for this sort of thing, and following them would improve BGG (probably much more than a new logo and colour scheme).

This is your guy:

http://www.sensible.com/services.html

Honestly, BGG is too big for a 'budding web designer' to take on. I used to work as part of a team doing webdev / usability for large government and multinational sites, and it's more complex than 90% of the stuff that we handled.

I agree - incredible content, but it is a bit difficult/overwhelming for new users. An interface overhaul would probably help, but it would require someone who would pay a lot of attention to the regular users' suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
dakarp wrote:
Don't Make Me Think is already required reading around here, even if you might not know it from some of our implementations. You are right--it is an excellent book.

Agreed... the guy I recommended is the author. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.