Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: Used car ratings rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
http://longtermqualityindex.com/index.html

Edit: another I had forgotten about, and perhaps more useful. http://www.consumerreports.org/used-car-buying/used-cars-to-...

This was interesting.

I was looking up potential issues with a certain used car and I stumbled across this site.

People occasionally want car advice here.

There are always lots of reviews about certain cars when they were new, and lots of conflicting information about the same cars when they get 30,000, 70,000 or 100,000 miles on them. Often expensive and intrinsic problems rear their ugly head after the car is only a few years old. Very often buyers will base their purchase price on glowing reviews from a few years previous, without knowing that chronic and expensive problems are common with that particular model year. (ahem Tesla ahem)

This site looks at the value of cars sold at dealer auctions, assuming that dealers know at what price a car will sell and the potential problems that could affect that price.

But the site also states it only concerns itself with major drive train issues.

The car I was researching apparently has a chronic and expensive heat issue. (Over a grand to fix, and the fix doesn't hold up either.) That car scored above average. But as another tool, it might prove helpful.

Edit: I should add that the info mostly lines up with my very limited knowledge, other than you could get into a fistfight in this area if you rate a Subaru that low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
surprise NSFW-'language'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
In memorium. Bob Hoover died 25 Oct 2016 at 94. In WWII he was shot down in a Spitfire and stole an FW-190 to escape. He spent decades at air shows flying Ole Yeller, shown
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Edit: another I had forgotten about, and perhaps more useful. http://www.consumerreports.org/used-car-buying/used-cars-to-...

Consumers Reports has a yearly car issue in April. It lists cars back ten years and reports on several different potential problem areas. The data is generating by surveying their subscribers. Here's an old example:

Consumers Reports may be available at your local library. If you subscribe, you get their yearly rating summary book which has the car ratings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.