Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A couple of things remain unclear to me after reading the rules:

Non-climate version:
– the following does not appear here, does it apply all the same? "Carnivores are not required to defend attacks on their controller’s Plant Species. // Carnivores may feed as normal during their turn."
– you can’t increase the plant’s population
– does the population marker start in the first spot (with 0 food above) or outside of the board?
– if I get it right, in the first round I can spend 3 cards on my plant, so it produces 14 food and if opponents have low population, I can score, like, 10+ points right from the beginning of the game? Sounds like you can make a LOT of points from the uneaten plant on your board.

Climate version:
– the following does not appear here, but I guess it doesn’t apply "Cards may be discarded to increase the population of a Plant Species by 2."

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
A couple of things remain unclear to me after reading the rules:

Non-climate version:
– the following does not appear here, does it apply all the same? "Carnivores are not required to defend attacks on their controller’s Plant Species. // Carnivores may feed as normal during their turn."

Yes to both questions.

beri2 wrote:

No, you can discard a card to increase your Plant's Population by 2.

beri2 wrote:
– does the population marker start in the first spot (with 0 food above) or outside of the board?

It starts on the first spot - just like your Species Boards.

beri2 wrote:
– if I get it right, in the first round I can spend 3 cards on my plant, so it produces 14 food and if opponents have low population, I can score, like, 10+ points right from the beginning of the game? Sounds like you can make a LOT of points from the uneaten plant on your board.

Yes, you can score a LOT of points from your plants. You can also give a LOT of free points to your opponents.

beri2 wrote:
Climate version:
– the following does not appear here, but I guess it doesn’t apply "Cards may be discarded to increase the population of a Plant Species by 2."

Yep, that rule does not apply.

Thanks for posting your questions! That helps us revise the rules so they are more clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for your replies.

I actually meant to put this
beri2 wrote:

in the Climate version, my mistake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
Thanks for your replies.

I actually meant to put this
beri2 wrote:

in the Climate version, my mistake.

Correct. You cannot directly instrease the population. The only way to increase your population in the Climate-rule version is by manipulating the Climate.

Thanks for the heads up. We're fixing up the rules with a new revision now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Morton
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
[Daytrip Gaming]
mbmbmbmbmb
I would ask about the Cliff from Flight, and its interactions in both Climate and Non-Climate. Are they still the same?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
knuckles29 wrote:
I would ask about the Cliff from Flight, and its interactions in both Climate and Non-Climate. Are they still the same?

Update coming today (hopefully) or tomorrow at the latest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larysa J
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I just got my plant boards today, so I've just read the rules (downloaded from BGG), and there's a couple of things I wanted to clear up (maybe I misread things, sorry)...

If we're playing Climate with Plant boards, and, say, it's Warm/Hot - each plant board contributes 6 plant food to the available food base. Any that's not used off my plants goes into my bag.

If someone else wants to take food off my plant board, and I have a carnivore, it can 'defend' my plants and basically get a 'free attack' onto that herbivore (assuming it's legally able, size and trait-wise). Yes?

Finally - with the non-climate side... If ALL the food on a board is eaten, the starting 'population' of the species for next turn will be 1, with a food amount of zero. If I want to have, say, eight food available for the next turn, I'll need to ditch two cards to increase the population by four. That's right???

Thanks again!
Can't wait to play with these!
My only 'negative' comment is that I think it would have been good to have 'Climate' and 'Non-Climate' or something similar on each side to make it easier for beginner players to identify which side to use. But that's just a nit. They're truly awesome.

I think, next time we play, I might just have to create a carnivore, which I ordinarily eschew. Hmmm... Things to think about...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
North Star Games
United States
Kensington
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Larysa wrote:

Finally - with the non-climate side... If ALL the food on a board is eaten, the starting 'population' of the species for next turn will be 1, with a food amount of zero. If I want to have, say, eight food available for the next turn, I'll need to ditch two cards to increase the population by four. That's right???

Everything else is correct, but the population of a plant species cannot go below one, so it will always start a turn with food on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a carnivore successfully protects your plants from being eaten, does that carnivore 'feed' as normal? If so, can a 'full' carnivore species still protect your plants?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Midnight Reaper
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Let Him Beware!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maebon wrote:
When a carnivore successfully protects your plants from being eaten, does that carnivore 'feed' as normal? If so, can a 'full' carnivore species still protect your plants?

That's where Fat Tissue would be a really handy trait to have - you wouldn't have to worry about starving your carnivore, but you would still be able to defend your poor, defenseless plants...

-M_R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We opened our Climate expansion and bonuses for Christmas. So, for the plant expansion I get that the plants replace the use of the watering hole. For the Climate Plant version, am I right to assume this lesser average of food production is the norm for the game? I.e., that the watering hole (and card food contribs and adjustments of the climate track) disappear fully from use in this Plant version too?

if so, sounds interesting because so likely to be very resource tight without trait extras.

But if NorthStarGames reads this, what's up with the user experience management for early supporters like us? To have to go digging for the basic rules on the net in order to use what expansion bonuses you sent?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand your question about the Plant micro-expansion with CLIMATE. The best place to go for the rules is on the latest update for our Kickstarter campaign:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

quixotequest wrote:
...But if NorthStarGames reads this, what's up with the user experience management for early supporters like us? To have to go digging for the basic rules on the net in order to use what expansion bonuses you sent?

It would have delayed production to write rules, get 5 internal people to proofread them, and then send them out to blind testers and iterate. We were already late on production because we wanted the final polish on the game to be intuitive and seamless so we opted not to delay any further for one of our last minute stretch goals. Hopefully you think we made the right choice, but if not, I understand. There is no way to please everybody.

Cheers!
Dominic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Jensen
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
It would have delayed production to write rules, get 5 internal people to proofread them, and then send them out to blind testers and iterate. We were already late on production because we wanted the final polish on the game to be intuitive and seamless so we opted not to delay any further for one of our last minute stretch goals. Hopefully you think we made the right choice, but if not, I understand. There is no way to please everybody.

Thanks for the response, Dominic. It's a nice promo pack. Yet as a suggestion, I don't think communication is a need that should be veiled as a "you'll please or not please whichever customers". If you can't include rules at printing, then include whatever site link where we can go get them — and any FAQs or explanatory addendum that may be added. If put on sites elsewhere the primary publisher site is always good to include too because it more directly links to visits to the site; and any good experiences to be earned for brand and reputation.

Best wishes for a good new year for ya'll. Looking forward to the app making its way to market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocher One
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
Can you answer what rules of the Plant micro-expansion are the current. Rules on the latest update Kickstarter campaign or on your official web site ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ocher wrote:
Can you answer what rules of the Plant micro-expansion are the current. Rules on the latest update Kickstarter campaign or on your official web site ?

Here is a link to the final rules:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

They will be made into a PDF sometime soon and posted on our website and the BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocher One
Ukraine
Kyiv
flag msg tools
Thanx. I try to translate rules. So i have one more question.
Can player have more than one plant board? If he can, than how much cards he must to discard. And what maximum number of plants can player have?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ocher wrote:
Thanx. I try to translate rules. So i have one more question.
Can player have more than one plant board? If he can, than how much cards he must to discard. And what maximum number of plants can player have?

Only 1 Plant Species board per person. If you want more plants, discard a card and increase the Population of the Plant Species Board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.