8 Posts

A Feast for Odin» Forums » Rules

Subject: Overseas trading and green tiles placement question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabor Tornai
msg tools
Hi there,

In the rulebook on page 16 there's a section covering overseas trading. I've read it countless times but I still don't understand the whole thing.

"Green tiles in the placement areas of your boards may not be
turned to their blue sides (you may not bypass the rule that
disallows the placement of green tiles next to each other)."

The example picture makes it even harder to understand.

"In this example, during a single “Overseas Trading” action, you may turn
1 oil, 1 hide, 1 wool, 1 linen, and 1 clothing to their blue sides. (The other linen
tile must remain on its green side.)"

How can you have those green tiles on the left placed below each other like this, and why you can't upgrade the linen on the top? How can you bypass anything if you can't place green tiles next to each other at all? Is the picture showing a legal placement of green tiles?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I don't know about that "you may not bypass" text, which is weird. You're right that you CAN'T (without accidentally cheating, which I do every game) put green tiles next to each other in placement areas. So, unless rules changed at one point, I would treat that "you may not bypass" text as meaningless, or saying someone can't drop two green tiles and instantly use the "Overseas Trading" to turn them blue.

In summary:

* You cannot ever flip or move tiles once you've placed them on your board (you can puzzle it out and move them around, but once you decide, you're stuck).

* The example picture in the bottom left does NOT show placement. Notice there is no board under it. It is just a player's inventory.

* You cannot upgrade one linen in the bottom left because you can turn "any number of different green goods tiles" (emphasis mine). If you have two linens, only one can flip from a single Overseas Trading action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor Tornai
msg tools
Thank you, it makes sense now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Temporin
Italy
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
* You cannot ever flip...

Where is it written that you can not flip the tiles?

I doubt that the sentence: "Green tiles in the placement areas of your boards may not be turned to Their blue sides..." indicates that the action be Overseas trading allows you to flip the tiles already placed in the placement area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mikyjollyjoker wrote:
GAFBlizzard wrote:
* You cannot ever flip...

Where is it written that you can not flip the tiles?

I doubt that the sentence: "Green tiles in the placement areas of your boards may not be turned to Their blue sides..." indicates that the action be Overseas trading allows you to flip the tiles already placed in the placement area.

I don't understand what you're trying to say. You can not flip or move tiles once you've committed them to a board. The Overseas Trading action only lets you flip tiles in your supply which you haven't committed to a board yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Silverman
United States
Waltham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"may not" means "is not allowed to" not "you're allowed to not"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S.
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:

* You cannot upgrade one linen in the bottom left because you can turn "any number of different green goods tiles" (emphasis mine). If you have two linens, only one can flip from a single Overseas Trading action.

Thank you. I am a 16-year trial lawyer and I have to read and understand case law and statutes, and for the life of me this section of the rule book made no sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarfs are not Happy
mbmbmb
Ah right, thx.

I had issues right away with this page haha. Usually I'm of the mind that maybe it becomes obvious in play but just couldn't let this go.

The keys are:
* the example is not someone's placement area
* the example seeks to show that only 1 of the same thing can be flipped

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.