Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gotteri
United Kingdom
CHESTERFIELD
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just doing my first play thru (solo) and I'm confused.

1) Yin phase step 1 - ghost actions.
If a ghost's central action (i.e. once on the board) is the Haunter icon, it moves forward once as it's action. So, if it's central stone is NOT a Haunter (or Tormentor) it DOESN'T move?

For example, Ghoul card 1, has Haunter as the central stone, so he moves forward once for his action.
Card 2, Walking Corpse, has 'no dice effect' as his central stone, so does NOT move forward? Is that right?

2) If a ghost card has no left stone, nothing happens when it comes in to play?
Same for no right stone, nothing happens when it is defeated?
So Perfidious Nymph (card 15) on being placed you do it's placement action, draw another ghost card, but then it stays put until exorcised, no other effect or movement (as it has no central or right stone, and no Haunting icon on it)?

Am I right, or way off the mark here?

Thanks
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mauricio Montoya
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the ghost figurines are only for the haunters, the ones who advance during the yin phase, and unless they are stopped or exorcised they will haunt the next tile in front of them every two advancements.

The cards that don't have the haunter icon in the middle just occupy space until they are exorcised and you don't put a figurine on those. They don't do anything else and you'd be in no real hurry to exorcide most of them, but remember that if there is no free space on your board to place a new ghost during your yin phase, you will lose a Qi (life) point, so exorcising them becomes a priority even if they are doing nothing.

And you're right, if there are no left or right stones on a card, they don't have any additional effects when they enter or when they're exorcised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The left stone on each Ghost only triggers once and only when the Ghost is first placed on the board (this also means that if a Ghost is placed on top of a Buddha, it's left stone is not triggered).

The center stone triggers once during the beginning of each Yin phase of the player board on which it's located.

The right stone triggers only once and only when the Ghost is defeated by being exorcised by a monk (it will not trigger if the Ghost is defeated by a Buddha or the Sorcerer village tile).

The plastic Haunter figures are only for Ghosts that have the "Haunter" stone. As soon as a Haunter card is placed on the board, a Haunter figure is placed on it's center stone. At the beginning of each Yin phase for the player board it's on, the Haunter figure then moves to the next Haunter stone toward the village. If the Haunter Ghost is defeated, the Haunter figure is also removed from the board.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mauricio is correct!

Further clarification: Haunters start on the card that triggers them to come out (unless they have the red arrow saying otherwise). You do not place Haunters on the player boards starting the game.

The Haunter figurine stays on the card when it enters the village. During your first turn (before drawing a ghost) it moves off the card, onto the 1st Haunter symbol on the player board. On the second turn, it finally moves on the 2nd Haunter symbol triggering the haunt of the village tile in front of it. Then the Haunter is placed back on the card to restart the cycle.

If that village tile is haunted, then the next village tile is haunted and restarts the cycle again. Haunters keep going until they are defeated or a 3rd village tile is haunted (triggering end game).

Pro tips: Plan for the Haunters! Ask yourself which village tile are you willing to get haunted? Don't place Haunter cards in front of your most valuable village tile i.e. Buddha, circle of prayer, whatever.

Place non-Haunters and ignorable ghosts further away from your ninjas, so when those Haunters arrive you will be able to conveniently kill them off.

If one village tile is haunted? Yellow light. Form a plan to unhaunt it. If two village tiles are haunted? Red light! Stop what you are doing and unhaunt it immediately. The very next yin phase could end the game.

It's happened too many times. You have a plan, but you get distracted with Wu-Feng etc, and the 3rd haunt defeats you. Ahh, don't let that happen!

As for the second question, you are correct. No first stone means nothing happens when it enters. No last stone means nothing happens when it dies.

Make sure to spend your yin-yang token before defeating a ghost that rewards you with giving your yin-yang token back. Don't get caught up killing ghosts with rewards if they don't have a middle stone and you don't have the means to easily defeat them.

Have fun playing!

(Sorry, I type too much...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gotteri
United Kingdom
CHESTERFIELD
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great replies, thank you ALL! I'll try again tonight.
:-)
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who don't have reference to the list of cards, consider using this one (disclaimer, it's my own file I created)....
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76921/ghost-card-list

The haunter symbol is a bit "odd" because it has both an immediate effect (place the ghost figurine), and a on going effect (move it up) even though it's a center stone.

Another example is the left stone that holds a Tao Die hostage. You put it on there immediately, but it's "ongoing" in the sense that you don't get it back until you defeat that ghost (card)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness for board game geek. I first tried to play this with my daughter and we got smashed again and again so we put it away I hadn't been able to convince her to try it again.

I recently brought it to PAX and played it again with my daughter's Auntie (a new gamer) and again a bad experience we were getting steam rolled in the first 15mins. We put the game away after 3 plays and I said I will research it on board game geek to see if we are playing it correctly as plus search for strategic tips.

The rules in this game leave a lot to be desired and I should of come here first before attempting to play. We were playing every ghost as a haunting ghost. Still it's a brilliant game and I am looking forward to playing it once I am sure I have all the rules down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Chasteen
United States
Yorktown
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theDEADareMANY wrote:
Thank goodness for board game geek. I first tried to play this with my daughter and we got smashed again and again so we put it away I hadn't been able to convince her to try it again.

I recently brought it to PAX and played it again with my daughter's Auntie (a new gamer) and again a bad experience we were getting steam rolled in the first 15mins. We put the game away after 3 plays and I said I will research it on board game geek to see if we are playing it correctly as plus search for strategic tips.

The rules in this game leave a lot to be desired and I should of come here first before attempting to play. We were playing every ghost as a haunting ghost. Still it's a brilliant game and I am looking forward to playing it once I am sure I have all the rules down.

I would recommend printing the Universal Player Aid in color (double-sided) and laminating it. It covers everything fairly well and is great if you're playing with new people.

http://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/43235/universal-head-ghost...

Feel free to ask questions if anything else comes up! There is a good number of users who will come to the rescue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
theDEADareMANY wrote:

Just so you know, you will probably still get smashed again and again, but at least it won't be quite as quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.