Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we are playing this with just 2 players and except for mission 2 (defending the school from 3 sides) we found this to be on the slightly to easy side.
We do have like 2 or 3 tense moment each mission but so far we managed to win every time (except the school which we replayed once cause we made big rules errors, forgot overdrive, and lost our second try, won it 3time).
Is it maybe a tad on the easier side with 2 players?

So far we enjoy our games, but I'm worried that playing the campaign a second time without a difficulty enhancer will be a bit dull.

I'm just hoping the last mission will unlock a hard or maybe even epic difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mission 7 is also not quite easy at 2 players. But once you beat all the missions, there is an hard-mode for every mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Ferrell
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ha! Yeah. We just finished Mission 6 with two players, and we're feeling the same way. But a couple of missions (including this one) have been close scrapes.

So I'm still wondering if we've just been lucky, or if it really is easier with two players. I can see how three or four would be bumping into each other more, and probably dealing with more damage overall, though... Might be interesting to try later.

Of course, we've also played Legends of Andor and had our butts handed to us several times over, so I'm trying to decide which difficulty level I like better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elkaintmoose wrote:

Of course, we've also played Legends of Andor and had our butts handed to us several times over, so I'm trying to decide which difficulty level I like better.

Lol, I would say somewhere in between .

Glad to know a hard mode is coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulk
United States
Cedar Park
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spukky wrote:

I'm just hoping the last mission will unlock a hard or maybe even epic difficulty.

I've read that it does, in fact, unlock a more difficult mode for the players to replay the campaign....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
Spukky wrote:

I've read that it does, in fact, unlock a more difficult mode for the players to replay the campaign....

From what I can gather, it's kinda like a New Game+ for a board game.

You keep all the new damage & schematic cards and anything else that was added to the game, so you still have those to play with. But the game also gets much harder.

That's my impression anyway, from various comments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James David Romo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other than mission 2, they've been a bit on the easy side I agree. Mission 3 especially. It sounded hard from the description but it turned out pretty easy to knock him senseless. I don't know how Easy mode on that mission would take more than 2 turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clanggedin Silverbeard
United States
SALEM
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We are 0-3 on Mission 2 with two players. We aren't spending enough time to build up our mechs and killing minions before we go out for the gems. We are going to play it with 3 players tomorrow night.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot comment on the difficulty down the road but for myself, I got this game to play with my sons. I know a lot of people who did actually buy this as a family game. From what little I've played, it strikes me as about that weight.

So if there's hard mode, that's good. I hope the base game keeps it exciting enough to get tabled with the family and not too difficult that they never want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James David Romo
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clanggedin wrote:
We are 0-3 on Mission 2 with two players. We aren't spending enough time to build up our mechs and killing minions before we go out for the gems. We are going to play it with 3 players tomorrow night.

When we finally won we ended up having one run out and grab the first crystal ASAP. Like, draft Speed ASAP.

I stayed in the front as massive waves of dudes came in. The 'blue' board was actually 100% filled with minions (except for oil spots) at one point.

But through dumb luck, lots of 'red' getting rolled, and smart use of fuel tanks and railguns we got it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are several options to make the game harder:

- using the included New Game+ option.
- Dire mode: tweaks the Doom Tracker (increasing boss health/reducing bomb health etc).
- Mob mode: harder escalation.
- Stronger minion mode: take two damage cards from each damage dealt by minions.
- Slower xp mode: level up after killing 10 minions and unlock schematic later (not sure whether this is sufficient to make the game harder).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Mission 8 with 3 players. Damn it is harder than with 2 players. It takes forever to build up a fonctional mech and during that time, the bomb has a 50% chance to take 1 damage every turn + from minions.

We failed two times before setting up for a plan of repairing the bomb in the first room until our mechs were almost fully built.

So Mission 8 is hard and if you want an harder session, play with more than 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm ok wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
Played Mission 8 with 3 players. Damn it is harder than with 2 players. It takes forever to build up a fonctional mech and during that time, the bomb has a 50% chance to take 1 damage every turn + from minions.

We failed two times before setting up for a plan of repairing the bomb in the first room until our mechs were almost fully built.

So Mission 8 is hard and if you want an harder session, play with more than 2 players.

At first I thought that the 2 cards per draft when playing with 2 players was good scaling, now I'm not so sure.
First, it seems to me that having 2 highly powered mechs is better than 4 low powered mechs. The more powerful weapons and finer movement control (this is the true key) of the 2 mechs is more effective than 4 mechs still trying to put together some worthwhile movement programing and tripping over each-other.
Second, drafting 2 cards per turn is a huge advantage when it comes to repairing damaged slots while simultaneously powering up your mech. Something that generally cannot be done in the four player game.
I'm starting to think that in 2 player games, each player should be alternating between drafting 1 card and then 2 cards every other turn, somewhat mimicking what the 3 player game does.

We ended up with these very same conclusions. 2 strong mechs > 4 weak mechs and being able to build up and repair/swap on the same turn is HUGE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Tiras
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
In our 2 player playtesting, Catzpaw and I felt the game was faster paced and more "arcadey." Because you had fewer, more powerful pieces to solve the puzzle, the emphasis was on rapid reaction rather than proactive planning.

The flip side of this is that your total power ceiling is MUCH lower. A full build mech has 6 level 3 slots. That power level doesn't change. With two (or three) mechs you achieve that much faster - 8 turns assuming no scrapped card vs 16 turns with 4 players. So if you play quickly AND effectively, you can achieve more faster. If you fall behind or play suboptimally, your end game state is much weaker.

We thought that balance played out well and kept the game fun and engaging. Folks here seem to be mixed on the total difficulty level. Are there any other people who have played the same mission with different numbers of people? If so would love to hear your thoughts!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I have played mission 2 at 2p,3p and 4p, at an age range of 7-64.

Without doubt the missions are harder (even mission 2 and 7) with 4p and easier with 2p.

As stated above the 2 card draft is huge. I spend a lot of time "rearranging" my command line to do what I need to that turn! With the extra command card I cont. to improve my mech.
Whereas at 4p and mostly at 3p with only one card you are choosing to rearrange or improve.
In addition sometimes you need a particular card in a particular slot. With only 1 card you are frequently forced to "replace" the current card, actually decreasing the overall number of command cards and the line. If you have 2 cards, you can first swap the soon to be covered card to a new home, then add you new one! An actual net gain of 2 cards!
So not only is building up your mech slower in 4p but the inflexibility of the 1 card draw means you are sometimes forced to actually reverse that build!!
Having said that, it's 4p that's got it right. 2p is crazy easy.
Mission 4 is not even worth setting up for 2p... I won't give the exact details... but it doesn't take a genius to work out how to guarantee a win by turn 4!
Mission 5: the interesting concept of the boss as a "timer" is great. But at 2p you level up so fast! I think the boss had 3 command cards in total on him when we won... and we had only knocked 1 off!!

Please don't get me wrong! I love this game. My wife and I are having some great 2p games playing together, combined with the radio play its a real "experience."
Also although we rarely lose, each turn presents its own interesting puzzle that keeps you hooked... it's just that I think the 2p rules need some refinement, co-ops you should lose over 50% of the time, it keeps them interesting and worked for Pandemic!

Overall the feel is something like the old computer games "half-life" or "Portal." You have a great time playing, there are some really interesting puzzles, but you are having an "experience" rather than what I would view as a game I would play over and over again.
There have been some great imports from the computer game world with this game- the tutorial, radio play (to name but 2.)- but the difficulty, especially at 2p has missed the mark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the

"included New Game+ option."?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cantrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
albcann wrote:
What is the

"included New Game+ option."?

When you beat mission 10 the game may or may not unlock a Hard Mode and achievements. I'll never say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
al cann
United States
warwick
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Then I may or may not thank you for your response ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doclj86 wrote:

Without doubt the missions are harder (even mission 2 and 7) with 4p and easier with 2p.

Damn 2 and 7 are the only missions we didn't win our first go with just 2.

But I agree with your overall statement the game is still great for my gf and me. It just creates a great experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feet_of_Clay
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Mission 2 I think we did 2nd time too! But 7 was breezed 1st time with 4 "doom" left! I was really excited about it... Thought it looked really hard for 2p... But there was one rule that ruined it: once you lock in a crystal, all gates of that colour are permanently unlocked!!! Why!?!? It basically makes rune gates pointless after the first run!

Once again, it was still fun, and challenging, couple of turns that were real thinkers!! And needed quite a lot of forward thinking... But never felt overwhelmed... Or even like we were close to losing! I even had a run of awful luck: "as long as I don't roll a blue and drop the crystal there then... Oh no!" Well as long as I don't get that particular damage card... Oh well... As long as any turn card comes up in the draft... Oh **#*!!!
Classic MvM moment!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.