Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Masson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there much strategy in this game? I watched a couple of run through videos and the choices seemed kinda light. Choose how your person and others move and place your pieces and hope the dice rolls favor your placement. Is this more than roulette?

P.S. I am a fan of TEG and TEW and insta-backed this already, just want to see if there are more layers of complexity that I'm not seeing with TEQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Waller
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:
Is there much strategy in this game? I watched a couple of run through videos and the choices seemed kinda light. Choose how your person and others move and place your pieces and hope the dice rolls favor your placement. Is this more than roulette?

P.S. I am a fan of TEG and TEW and insta-backed this already, just want to see if there are more layers of complexity that I'm not seeing with TEQ.

I'd argue there's more strategy here than in both TEW and TEG. Definitely there are more choices. Most stems from the moving part, which is WAY more than just plonking down your chips on a roulette square. You'll be moving four times, and need to keep a keen eye out onto quests, what you want to do and what the other players are doing. Which travel mode to pick can also make a huge difference.

The nighttime choices aren't as rich, but still super significant - choosing whether to tap out or keep pushing will rarely be a given, more often than not it is a really painful choise.

I really like TEG, and am slowly warming to TEW, holding it somewhere slightly below TEG. But in my mind there's no question that TEQ will blow both out of the water, from a gameplay & depth standpoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron White
Australia
Bathurst
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Bennett from Brawl
badge
Slow and Thoughtful
mbmbmbmbmb
botanybob wrote:

The movement selection method is similar to the action selection method in TEK. In TEK you have to balance taking the action you want with denying your opponents actions by taking them when they do not want you too. How this would apply in TEQ I am not sure, mainly because you have so many options for what you can do.

I also find the magic track interesting, I can see situations where you might accelerate the magic track to make the other players have a hard time fighting goblins. But will not be sure until I actually get some games in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Masson
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree that moving the magic track would be good strategy to screw opponents who are fighting, but what control is there in moving the track forward? The only way to do this is just with rolling dice and hoping for mushrooms, right? No dice modification actions available, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Bonnefoy
msg tools
With thd staff you can spend additional energy to have one more mushroom no ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Xophe92 wrote:
With thd staff you can spend additional energy to have one more mushroom no ?

You spend the energy when you rest to make up the gap between the current magic level and the spell you are trying to achieve. It doesn't effect the overall magic level for the whole group - it just benefits you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a great topic guys as I've also had the same thoughts as the OP. Looking forward to hearing from some early playtesters... ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyson Gajewski

Missouri
msg tools
mbmbmb
If I remember correctly there is a fairy village space that allows you to move the magic up by 2 spaces before the night phase even begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.