Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Wow, so this is what you get for 100 pieces of gold.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had texted Trevor that I would be at Don’s house at 2:30 pm, but I didn’t make it until 2:40 pm. Don, Trevor, Greg and Craig were all waiting patiently for me with all the cards dealt out, and Don jokingly said , “Two thirty eh?” I apologized, and looked at my two starting corporations. I had Ecoline and another one, and the Ecoline looked neat (start with 2 plant production and 3 plants). We were playing the full game, with everything at 0 production, and all the cards. Unknown to me, Trevor had won the game earlier in the day with Ecoline, so that meant I would be targeted more than usual. Greg was Credicor, starting with 57 M€, Don was Phobuloy where his titanium was worth 4 M€ each and Craig was Helion which has 3 heat production and can convert heat to M€. Going first, I kept 5 of my starting 10 cards. The ideal game is where you can end the game without having to turn cards into 1 M€ each, so I thought 5 was reasonable, throwing away a nuclear power plant that gives 2 energy at the cost of -1 VP.

My first round was to play one card, gaining a couple energy production, then passing. Second round, I played the card that gives 1 M€ production per space symbol on opponents cards, boosting it up by 6. Of course I could have waited longer to get more, but playing 1 card a round wasn’t going to cut it.

Don had 18 M€ income for a while, which mean the was collecting cards, and he claimed the 16 card milestone. Trevor claimed the builder milestone and I had the 3 evergreen tiles down on the map, I didn’t claim that milestone till late when I could afford it.

Meanwhile Trevor had 4 science tags and funded the science award. I had a lot of tiles and I had a lot of M€ production, so I could have funded either of those or both, but Craig who had high heat production funded the heat award before I could do anything, knowing it would force me to pay 20 M€. I was really stuck money wise, and really couldn’t afford to fund an award at the expense of playing some cards. Maybe I should have funded an earlier award saving me some money at the expense of a card out earlier. But Craig did beat me to the award there. Later on I did shell out 20 M€ for the banker award. My production was at 18 M€ since I had a card that gave 1 production everytime a city was built.

Towards the end of the game, I had a lot of money. I’m not sure I spent it wisely though. My plant ability gave me the ability to put the most evergreen tiles on the board, but I only had 2 cities from cards. What I didn’t do was use a standard action to place cities on Mars, which would have given me VPs beside my evergreen tiles. But Trevor understood the standard actions, and took advantage of me when I placed an evergreen adjacent to one of mine and his cities, his next move was to build a city and evergreen tile to make the city worth 3 VPs. I should have placed the city for denial purposes, but I was too focused on my cards: I had one that placed a city on Noctis City, but it was the last round and would have scored nothing. So my thinking was only focused on cards to gain VPs and not the standard actions which was the right thing to do.

This was a tight game, and it looked close between Trevor, myself and Greg.

Scores:
Trevor 75 (32 TR, 5 milestone, 2 banker award, 5 scientist award, 5 evergreen, 14 city, 12 cards),
Norbert 73 (31 TR, 5 milestone, 5 banker award, 7 evergreen, 9 city, 16 cards),
Greg 71 (36 TR, 2 scientist award, 4 evergreen, 4 city, 25 cards),
Don 69 (26 TR, 5 milestone, 2 thermalist award, 4 evergreen, 3 city, 29 cards),
Craig 62 (24 TR, 2 scientist award, 5 thermalist award, 1 evergreen 2 city, 28 cards).

Trevor is green, I am yellow, Greg is red, Don is white and Craig is blue. Trevor's last couple of plays was the city in the northeast beside the 3 oceans, which I had a chance to do and didn't.

Trevor's winning cards.

I did lose some plants to other cards. I estimated I lost about 10 plants, and Greg hit my production down 2 lowering it from seven to five, before the last round. This prevented me from putting on an extra evergreen tile, worth 1 VP, so I guess I could say they played smart, since I was close to winning. So I think my mistake was not playing the city in the northeast corner by the 3 oceans worth potentially 3 VPs. But it was a good lesson in watching the board. I thought I did well in cards, getting 4 pts for animals and 3 pts for 12 cities on the board, but Greg got 4 VPs in microbes, while Don had 29 pts which was impressive. I did convert 4 cards into 4M€ at game end, but three of those cards were extra draws so I think I did okay with my card management.

The game took about 3 hrs and fifteen minutes. I was fully engaged the whole time. There was some talk of playing an “in between game” where your production starts at 1 each to speed things up. I was really looking forward to this from last week and it didn’t disappoint. I’m already looking forward to the game next week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it works out fine with five players?
Next weekend I want to play it at my monthly gaming group in Utrecht.
There will be enough players who want to join, so if it goes well with 5 I'll do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Allwood
United Kingdom
Whitley Bay
Tyne and Wear
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm pretty sure that you start with 1 production and then add on the corporation bonuses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chaddyboy
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Bloooooop.
badge
Bluuuuuurp.
mbmbmbmbmb
pallwood wrote:
I'm pretty sure that you start with 1 production and then add on the corporation bonuses.

If you're playing with the Corporate Era cards, you start with 0 production on everything, unless your corporation gives you some production of something.

If you leave out the Corporate Era cards, you start with 1 production of everything, and potentially add more production depending on your corporation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
pallwood wrote:

They played "the full game" which I interpret as the Corporate Era, extended game, hence the 0 starting production.

Out of curiousity, how did you end up with four ocean hexes covered by non-ocean tiles when there are only three cards that have that effect?
And +6 M€ production for "Toll Station" already in the second generation, sounds pretty fortunate to me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Örjan Almén
Sweden
Karlstad
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roubosga wrote:
There will be enough players who want to join, so if it goes well with 5 I'll do that.

Yes, it works out great with any number of players 1-5!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brastias wrote:
pallwood wrote:

They played "the full game" which I interpret as the Corporate Era, extended game, hence the 0 starting production.

Out of curiousity, how did you end up with four ocean hexes covered by non-ocean tiles when there are only three cards that have that effect?
And +6 M€ production for "Toll Station" already in the second generation, sounds pretty fortunate to me!

We very easily could have made a mistake. Some cards allow you to break the normal placement of tiles, and maybe one of them we misinterpreted. Would you know ehich 3 cards allow you to cover the four ocean tiles? We might be able to work backwards and figure out which tile was misplayed.

Yes, the toll station was lucky. One of the starting corporations had a space symbol as well, which helped.

Roubosga wrote:

I have only played with 5 players, and it has been very enjoyable with that number. I don't have a reference point to compare to lower number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Åkerlund
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
We very easily could have made a mistake. Some cards allow you to break the normal placement of tiles, and maybe one of them we misinterpreted. Would you know ehich 3 cards allow you to cover the four ocean tiles? We might be able to work backwards and figure out which tile was misplayed.

The three cards are Mohole Area, Protected Valley and Mangrove.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
Second round, I played the card that gives 1 M€ production per space symbol on opponents cards, boosting it up by 6.

Your opponents played out six space symbol green/blue cards in the first two rounds?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerritjan Roubos
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:
Second round, I played the card that gives 1 M€ production per space symbol on opponents cards, boosting it up by 6.

Your opponents played out six space symbol green/blue cards in the first two rounds?

Don't forget they played with 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Arlington
United States
Spanish Fort
AL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Norbert Chan wrote:
Brastias wrote:

You definitely have something wrong on your map setup. There are only two cards that allow you to place Greenery tiles on Ocean spaces (Protected Area, Mangrove) and you somehow have three Greenery tiles covering Ocean spaces.

Not only that but you also have an Ocean tile covering a non-Ocean space (which is the only way you could have gotten all seven oceans out if you covered 4 Ocean spaces with non-Ocean tiles). The space at the far right of the row with Noctis City in it, has an Ocean tile there and it is not an Ocean space.

Dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocSavage2001 wrote:
Not only that but you also have an Ocean tile covering a non-Ocean space (which is the only way you could have gotten all seven oceans out if you covered 4 Ocean spaces with non-Ocean tiles). The space at the far right of the row with Noctis City in it, has an Ocean tile there and it is not an Ocean space.

Dave

There is a card in the standard deck that lets you put an Ocean tile on a non ocean reserved space - "Artificial Lake".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmbmbmb
How many hours did it take?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
How many hours did it take?

It took three hours, twenty minutes.

AceAceBaby wrote:
Norbert Chan wrote:

Yes, they played five space symbols. One of the starting corporations has a space symbol making it six. Since I was going last in the second round, the timing was to my advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
United States
Scottdale
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space symbols excluding events?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Norbert Chan
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AceAceBaby wrote:
Space symbols excluding events?

Only the visisble, face up space symbols were counted. There was one space symbol on an event card that was face down, so of course that could no be counted. Hopefully this answers your question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.