14 Posts

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Shadows of the Past» Forums » Rules

Subject: Leaping from rooftop to rooftop rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
I still have not been able to find an answer to this: How does it work, leaping from elevated terrain to elevated terrain? I have The Works in my hands right now, and I don't see it addressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume just like any other leap- as long as you have the distance required to do such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
But as far as I'm aware the only leaps in the game are from high to low ground, or by using a special ability card (e.g., Leo's "Leaping Strike"). So there is no "any other leap" rule to fall back on. It's probably as simple as you say, but I have asked this question multiple times to the powers that be and have been told that it would be clarified. So I would like some official clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm not a power that be, but I was in on a bunch of the playtesting. In the playtests leaping only cared that the beginning and ending tile were at the same elevation and didn't care about anything in between. (So if both tiles were elevated, you were good, if both were not you were good, but you couldn't just leap from low to high, and if you lept from high to low you took falling damage as normal).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Butler
United States
White Sands Missile Range
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PRSthruVOX wrote:
But as far as I'm aware the only leaps in the game are from high to low ground, or by using a special ability card (e.g., Leo's "Leaping Strike"). So there is no "any other leap" rule to fall back on. It's probably as simple as you say, but I have asked this question multiple times to the powers that be and have been told that it would be clarified. So I would like some official clarification.

The leaps from high to low ground are still when you do it as part of the ability cards. I think you might be confusing leaping with climbing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Jhamin wrote:
I'm not a power that be, but I was in on a bunch of the playtesting. In the playtests leaping only cared that the beginning and ending tile were at the same elevation and didn't care about anything in between. (So if both tiles were elevated, you were good, if both were not you were good, but you couldn't just leap from low to high, and if you lept from high to low you took falling damage as normal).

Are you saying that players can leap whenever they want? As long as you have a movement action you can leap? If not, when can you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
MarioFanaticXV wrote:
The leaps from high to low ground are still when you do it as part of the ability cards. I think you might be confusing leaping with climbing?

Leaping downward is specifically mentioned on the terrain cards. I haven't seen anything that covers leaping across equal terrain except for special abilities. So does that mean players without an ability card can't leap in such a way? Or does it mean that every player can leap without such a card. If that's the case, why not just always leap so you never have to break away?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may only leap when using a special ability or move that says you are leaping. When you leap, do not check for falling until the end of the leap. The intention of this is that you stay at 'high' elevation until the end of the leap, allowing you to leap from building to building as you would naturally expect to be able to do, although that phrasing is probably a stretch. I fussed with the language on the elevated terrain cards a lot, but they're still probably not perfect.

If you don't have a move or ability that lets you leap, you'll have to rely on fire escapes or the climb terrain move to get on the rooftops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
KevinW wrote:
You may only leap when using a special ability or move that says you are leaping. When you leap, do not check for falling until the end of the leap. The intention of this is that you stay at 'high' elevation until the end of the leap, allowing you to leap from building to building as you would naturally expect to be able to do, although that phrasing is probably a stretch. I fussed with the language on the elevated terrain cards a lot, but they're still probably not perfect.

If you don't have a move or ability that lets you leap, you'll have to rely on fire escapes or the climb terrain move to get on the rooftops.

Thank you, Kevin!

I guess my issue with that, then, is that very few characters have a leaping special ability at all, and I believe only Leonardo and Donatello have sufficient ability to leap from one rooftop to another. It is what it is, but that seems a bit unthematic to me, since we're talking about cartoon ninjas (and particularly since Mikey is supposed to be the most mobile). I may simply have to house-rule something along those lines...like using a focus plus movement action to leap a maximum of the character's leap ability, may not be combined with an attack or defense unless using a special/terrain ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cary
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm fairly sure all the heroes have an ability that lets them jump. Raph's will only carry him 2 spaces instead of 3, which will cause problems on those "crossing the rooftop" missions, but (I believe) Mikey has the ability to throw allies up to 3 spaces with another one of his powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
msg tools
mb
Mikey can throw, not leap. And Raph can only leap 2. Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wilson
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
The Nicholas Cage of games! Oh god, not the beeeeeesssss!
badge
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, remember that Mikey's nimble ability lets him move 1 space every turn ignoring terrain rules (except for blocking terrain, which is always in effect regardless of other game effects). So he can basically just 'nimble' up onto or down from a roof.

The other heroes mostly have leap special moves of one sort or another. Feel free to house rule things, but they have a fair amount of maneuverability already, so I can't promise it won't break some of the scenarios if you increase that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saud M.
United Arab Emirates
Dubai
Dubai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinW wrote:

Do we still have to roll for damage if we leapt from one building to another? (Both elevated spaces)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donn Hardy
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SolidRoar wrote:
KevinW wrote:

Do we still have to roll for damage if we leapt from one building to another? (Both elevated spaces)

You only roll for damage if you start your move on elevated terrain and end it on low terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.