Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played the first two scenarios out of the Overlord book; the pict village rescue and the pirate ship. These two scenarios are wildly different and it gives me great hope for the future of this game.

We used the recommended heroes and loadouts for both scenarios, and had four heroes for both scenarios.

In the pict village run, the heroes had some extreme bad luck. Belit was killed early on when she got overrun by a pack of hyenas and badly mauled, and then finished off by pict warriors. The heroes killed the shaman quickly, but got tied up by the snake, and lost Conan during that encounter. Hadrathas proved to be the MVP of the match; in one round he teleported through three different huts, nuked an area where six picts were dancing around Conan's corpse and killed all of them, and then ran up and stabbed another pict in the back and attempted to end his killing spree by throwing his dagger at yet another pict, but missed the mark.

Shevatas and Hadrathas made a valiant effort to locate the princess, but found her in the last hut they checked, with only one turn left. Pict reinforcements wounded Hadrathas past the point of usefulness and left Shevatas stranded with no escape route.

Overall, a very close game. We feel that this scenario is weighted slightly in favor of the Overlord, mainly because of the added cost to enter/exit the huts and the necessity to search as many as eight of them in order to locate the princess.

The second scenario feels completely different from the first, primarily due to the strong showing from ranged attacks. Where the pict village has LOS blocked all over the place, this map is almost a completely open area, with only the four ships masts blocking LOS, and potent ranged attackers on both sides - the Overlord has a quartet of archers while the heroes get Shevatas and his throwing knives as well as Hadrathas with a powerful single target ranged spell. The heroes were also aided greatly when Belit found a crossbow in the first chest searched.

The heroes DESTROYED most of my pirate forces on their first turn in this game.

As the Overlord in this scenario, the impetus is on you to press the attack. The heroes don't really need to move from their starting ship as long as Belit isn't being actively threatened, and with her sacrificial guardsman she's tough to put damage onto.

After getting some pirate reinforcements onto the hero ship, and putting some light damage onto Belit, the heroes countered with a strong offensive surge, and Conan leaped to the other ship and took the battle to Zaporova, who put up a mighty fight. In the end, it took both Conan and Shevatas to overwhelm him, but Zaporova was unable to muster the necessary forces to take Belit out of the fight and the heroes won fairly easily.

This scenario feels heavily weighted in favor of the heroes. Especially in the four hero version where Hadrathas has the Gift of Life spell that lets him transfer his gems to Belit, which serves to both boost her ability to defend against attacks as well as increase her health pool. As long as she doesn't do a whole lot except save gems for defense, she can be incredibly tough to kill, especially with Conan, Shevatas and Hadrathas mopping up enemies that manage to get close to her.

After all was said and done, we all had fun playing the game. I'm pretty sure I got a couple of rules wrong, but I think the outcomes of both games would have been the same. I feel like the pict village scenario is the most interesting, and I am looking forward to trying it again to see if the heroes can emerge victorious next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:
Hadrathus proved to be the MVP of the match; in one round he teleported through three different huts, nuked an area where six picts were dancing around Conan's corpse and killed all of them, and then ran up and stabbed another pict in the back and attempted to end his killing spree by throwing his dagger at yet another pict, but missed the mark.

In one round ?
Don't forget to spend 1 gem each time Hadrathus activate the teleportation spell + 1 gem per area crossed. If you visit 3 huts separated by 1 area each and if the 1st hut is 2 areas away it costs 1+2 (1st hut) - then 1+2 (2nd hut) - then 1+2 (3rd hut) so 9 gems. Using the lightnings, 3 more gems. The your base movement for free an 1 new gem (minima) for 1 melee attack and another gem (minima) for a thrown weapon.

Ok, so 14 gems spend ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well I'm not sure the math for the teleportation is correct. for me it reads like this:
1 gem to activate the spell. then use gems as you teleport around, 1 per space covered. so 3 huts separated by 1 area each and if the 1st hut is 2 areas away it costs 1 to activate +2 (1st hut) - then +2 (2nd hut) - then +2 (3rd hut) so 7 gems...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
well I'm not sure the math for the teleportation is correct. for me it reads like this:
1 gem to activate the spell. then use gems as you teleport around, 1 per space covered. so 3 huts separated by 1 area each and if the 1st hut is 2 areas away it costs 1 to activate +2 (1st hut) - then +2 (2nd hut) - then +2 (3rd hut) so 7 gems...

The 1-gem activation is required each time it is cast, not only once per turn. It's the same as any other spell activation cost, except that Teleport doesn't have a maximum number of castings per turn, like most spells have. Teleportation movement, it has been clarified elsewhere, does not actually "move" the character into each space of his "route." In this example, he can only inspect a hut which he "stops" in, not one he moves through. Once he stops, he has to cast teleport (with the 1-gem startup cost) again if he wants to teleport again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Smith
United Kingdom
Gillingham
Kent
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like your underdogs did better than ours in both games, the heroes were thrashed silly in game one and slaughtered the Overlord in game 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
The 1-gem activation is required each time it is cast, not only once per turn.

Correct.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
Loig wrote:

The 1-gem activation is required each time it is cast, not only once per turn. It's the same as any other spell activation cost, except that Teleport doesn't have a maximum number of castings per turn, like most spells have. Teleportation movement, it has been clarified elsewhere, does not actually "move" the character into each space of his "route." In this example, he can only inspect a hut which he "stops" in, not one he moves through. Once he stops, he has to cast teleport (with the 1-gem startup cost) again if he wants to teleport again.

We played it wrong, then. To be fair, though, I'm not sure that it's actually clarified anywhere in the manuals that this is how it works, and although I did read some rules threads here in preparation I didn't see anything about teleport. The heroes lost anyway, so playing it right would have only resulted in them losing earlier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank BLACKFIRE
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1656441/teleporting-through...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pallantides wrote:

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.