Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Massive Darkness Kickstarter got me interested in this game so I bought the cross-over cards. I plan on buying the base set and Deadeye Walkera for sure. I don't want the Hero-1 set as I will have Massive Darkness characters to use for variety. I am torn on the following though:

Wulfsburg: Seems like a no-brainer but I am struggling with the idea of wolf packs in a dungeon for Massive Darkness. Probably worth adding for Black Plague alone though and the rest is a bonus.

Zombie bosses: they are just wandering monsters in Massive Darkness and we will get a ton in the Kickstarter. Seems like they add some interesting elements to BP though. Possibly worth adding.

NPC-1: This would only be for Black Plague as it has no value to MD. I keep reading that two vault cards gets old fast but I hate to buy it for just three cards. So I am thinking of taking a few magic items from Wolfsburg and sleeving them so they look like Vault cards. Would that work? I don't like the NPC vault mechanic so that has no allure but do they have other value I am not considering?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey...

welcome to the madness (in both cases)

bholmes4 wrote:
Wulfsburg: Seems like a no-brainer but I am struggling with the idea of wolf packs in a dungeon. Probably worth adding for Black Plague alone though and the rest is a bonus.

I`ll say here, play ZBP; if you like it; THEN get Wulfburg. As an expansion for ZBP is worth it, but IMO the price tag is high for the content. So to use it only for MD, I wouldn't recommend

bholmes4 wrote:
Zombie bosses: they are just wandering monsters in Massive Darkness and we will get a ton in the Kickstarter. Seems like they add some interesting elements to BP though. Possibly worth adding

For ZBP there are a MUST imo, they add so much needed flavor. I think that the core game is actually "incomplete" without this. And when I said to someone try ZBP, I would advice to try the game with this. Core game is fun and all, but this increase the fun sooo much more. I agree with you, we have enough wondering monsters in MD

bholmes4 wrote:
NPC-1: This would only be for Black Plague as it has no value to MD. I keep reading that two vault cards gets old fast but I hate to buy it for just three cards. So I am thinking of taking a few magic items from Wolfsburg and sleeving them so they look like Vault cards. Would that work? I don't like the NPC vault mechanic so that has no allure but do they have other value I am not considering?

yes, the vault cards get old fast. but IMO this expansion is NOT worth it. UNLESS you are willing to houserule the NPCs. For ZBP I only have the one that I got for free in KS; I used to have both for modern zombicide and they never were played (I find their mechanic, tedious, boring, dilute the deck and a few more other negative stuff lol)

Now after houseruling NPCs (I got one for free, needed to find a way to use them, was not going to just let them collect dust like the ones from modern zombicide ) they are fun lol; but still doubt that I would pay the extra 20us for them.

I would offer my "other language" for the Vault cards I owned but you are in CAD so shipping probably would kill you; you might find a good Samaritan in CAD willing to part of those.

good luck and enjoy gaming
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh and btw in case you don't know... if you ask for someone to give you the "other language" that they don't need. You don't actually need English (or any language you speak) cards are pretty straight forward, they might have 1 line on them that you need to read.. but anyone (even the person sending them) would tell you.. and after a couple of use, you`ll memorize them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gary gee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
haven't bothered with Wulfsburg..if I need that kin d of thing for my BP.I use zombie dogs.
by the way,the way Kickstarters are going now you will have at least 18 months to get sorted!...the usual 12 months "guestimate".then at least another 6 months on top for delays.while all the time your money is sat in a bank making them a nice big profit!
I was told of a good friend who works in finance.that its common practice for companies to hold on to large amounts of money in their bank accounts.for as long as they can to maximise the interest it makes them.then release the money to the manufacturers as late as possible...and that's why things like Kickstarters are usually late...sometimes very late!
ive got 4 kickstarters on the go 3 are running late [ones a card only game and more like an expansion.so all templates are already made.so how can that be running late???].the final one memento mori is "due out around next march.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Khan
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tootz wrote:
haven't bothered with Wulfsburg..if I need that kin d of thing for my BP.I use zombie dogs.
by the way,the way Kickstarters are going now you will have at least 18 months to get sorted!...the usual 12 months "guestimate".then at least another 6 months on top for delays.while all the time your money is sat in a bank masking them a nice big profit!
I was told of a good friend who works in finance.that its common practice for companies to hold on to large amounts of money in their bank accounts.for as long as they can to maximise the interest it makes them.then release the money to the manufacturers as late as possible...and that's why things like Kickstarters are usually late...sometimes very late!
ive got 4 kickstarters on the go 3 are running late [ones a card only game and more like an expansion.so all templates are already made.so how can that be running late???].the final one memento mori is "due out around next march.

Except that interest rates are so low and sometimes negative that they cannot keep up with the increased production cost due to inflation. So while this may have been in a thing in the past it is no longer true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Weber
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulfsburg: A big part of its value (and price tag) are the new campaign and two additional dash boards, neither of which are usefull in MD. So you should pick it up once you know you enjoy Zombicide and want more missions (or up to 8 players), not because of the crossover.

Zombie bosses: In MD they are just 3 monsters among many others (for KS backers at least) but in Zombicide they add a lot of variety and character. Also the sculpts are really nice

NPC: The vault cards add much needed variety but shouldn't be the only reason to pick up the box. I agree that the official NPC mechanic is pretty boring and I never play them that way. But hey you can play them with your own rules, maybe with the rules of one of the zombie types from modern Zombicide. You get different sculpts, spawn cards and even white counter bases in this box so all you need to get creative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In some ways I am more torn now

I think I have it down to core set, Deadeye and Bosses for sure. I really want more character options to start too though. Are there any reasons to buy Hero-1 over Wolfsburg other than price (I.e. The characters are more interesting or fill a different role?)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Weber
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bholmes4 wrote:
Are there any reasons to buy Hero-1 over Wolfsburg other than price (I.e. The characters are more interesting or fill a different role?)?

Well there are 5 heroes in the hero box while Wulfsburg only has 4
But you may also want to have a look at the survivor gallery on zombicide.com where you can find image, description and ID card of each hero. Maybe you like some heroes better than others. I really like Julian and Tucker from Hero box 1 for example...
But my general advise would be the same as for any other game: Get the base game first, play it, get a feel for it. You will be able to make a more informed decision when buying addons if you get some experience with the game first (and avoid addional cost in the unlikely case that you don't like it after all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.