Subject: Corsair op in HRE rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paiaso de Asalto
Spain
Galicia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the Corsair Op at HRE useless? You may only move to another sea frontier in the same location, and there is only one sea frontier located in the HRE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Paiaso wrote:
Is the Corsair Op at HRE useless? You may only move to another sea frontier in the same location, and there is only one sea frontier located in the HRE.

The Prussian League Navy in the expansion is a "Holy Roman Empire" pirate with a Corsair Op (catholic). Also the Isfendiyarid dynasty card in the Byzantine Empire (expansion x12) has only one sea border. I am adding to the living rules the following change expanding the range of the Corsair Op:

F7. Corsair (Military Op).
Use this Op to move a Pirate Rook in a Sea Border of the card’s Location to another Sea Border in the card’s Location or an adjacent location along a Sea Border.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paiaso de Asalto
Spain
Galicia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Paiaso wrote:

The Prussian League Navy in the expansion is a "Holy Roman Empire" pirate with a Corsair Op (catholic). I am adding to the living rules the following change expanding the range of the Corsair Op:

Use this Op to move a Pirate Rook in a Sea Border of the card’s Location to another Sea Border in the card’s Location or an adjacent location along a Sea Border.

That was the card indeed.
Thanks for the answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Paiaso wrote:

The Prussian League Navy in the expansion is a "Holy Roman Empire" pirate with a Corsair Op (catholic). I am adding to the living rules the following change expanding the range of the Corsair Op:

Thanks Phil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So do I understand that right: With a corsair op located in Aragon I could now move a pirate from the border between Portugal and Aragon to the border between Portugal and England or even the Papal States and Ottoman?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you can only move pirates from the Sea Border with the Holy Roman Empire. The "to" has changed, not the "from".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I mean if the pirate is located between Portugal and Aragon and I play a Corsair OP located in Aragon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernhard Vierthaler wrote:
So do I understand that right: With a corsair op located in Aragon I could now move a pirate from the border between Portugal and Aragon to the border between Portugal and England or even the Papal States and Ottoman?

That's how I read the revised rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roel van der Hoorn
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I mean if the pirate is located between Portugal and Aragon and I play a Corsair OP located in Aragon.

Ah, yes. Indeed.

(Reading is difficult)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
arjisme wrote:

That is the intention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that makes the pirates a lot more interesting as attack forces
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafał Kruczek
Poland
Legnica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
arjisme wrote:

That is the intention.

phileklund wrote:

I don't understand how it can do in one step. Portugal - Aragon and Papal States are not adjacent.
So "adjacent" regarding location of Op location, NOT current corsair location?
Move from original correction example was If I understood correctly, from HRE-France border to France-England border which is one step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So you can move the pirates away, but you won't be able to get them back without another card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rafal100 wrote:
So adjacent" regarding location of Op location [...]?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
German Mike
United States
Hudson
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:

So this is still confusing to me. An adjacent location could be a diagonal card, right? So does that mean that a corsair located on the Portugal-Aragon Sea Border can be moved to the France-England or even France-HRE Sea Border with one Corsair move?

I always thought the Corsair move was meant to move a Corsair by "one Sea Border in either direction".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil would have to weigh in but surely it means adjacent via sea. So cards diagonally adjacent via land would make no sense. The intent of the rule change was to make corsair ops for locations like HRE, Mamluk and Byzantium actually useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule for where a pirate can move to is "...or an adjacent location along a Sea Border." Both Borders and Sea Borders are defined in the "Border" glossary definition: "The gap between two Map Cards. For instance, England has two Borders, one to the east and one to the south. A Sea Border is a special border that is crossed by an active or inactive Trade Route."

Accordingly, diagonal moves by pirates are not allowed, as they are not along a Sea Border.

If someone has a better wording for the intent, I will add it to the living rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

falafel007 wrote:
So you can move the pirates away, but you won't be able to get them back without another card?

That´s how I read it - and I really like that. At the beginning I thought that the new rule would make pirates too strong. But as you lose control over the pirate if you move him away from your "activation location" they become a very interesting tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wasserman
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am wondering whether it would be clearer if reference were made to moving along a trade route. For example, "Use this action to move a Pirate Rook in the card's Location along a Trade Route across one Location to another Sea Border."

Another way to make clear the intent might be to remind the reader that a token on a border is considered to be in both bordering locations: "Use this action to move a Pirate Rook in the card's Location to another Sea Border in either of the token's current Locations."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Massimiliano della Rovere
Italy
Pisa
Tuscany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
The rule for where a pirate can move to is "...or an adjacent location along a Sea Border." Both Borders and Sea Borders are defined in the "Border" glossary definition: "The gap between two Map Cards. For instance, England has two Borders, one to the east and one to the south. A Sea Border is a special border that is crossed by an active or inactive Trade Route."

Accordingly, diagonal moves by pirates are not allowed, as they are not along a Sea Border.

If someone has a better wording for the intent, I will add it to the living rules.

I think that adding an example would solve the problem. Something like this:
Quote:

Scenario: a black (Islamic) Pirate in the Ottoman-Papal States Sea Border and - for simplicity's sake - no other black Pirate on any Map Card.
Card: #91 Ottoman Navy, featuring the Ottoman Location and a black-Corsair Op
Movements allowed by the Corsair Op: the black Pirate can be moved into one of the following Sea Borders:
* other Sea Border of the card Location
** Ottoman-Hungary
** Ottoman-Mamluk
* (Sea Border of an) adjacent Location (i.e. Map Card) along a Sea Border
** Hungary-Byzantium
** Papal States-Aragon

I'm not a native English speaker, but I'd write the rule as:
Quote:
Use this Op to move a Pirate Rook in a Sea Border of the card’s Location to another Sea Border in the card’s Location or to any Sea Border of an adjacent Location (i.e. Map Card) sharing a Sea Border with the Location printed on the Card featuring the Corsair Op.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arz man
Spain
Barcelona
Catalonia / Catalunya
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:

Would something like the following work?

"Sail to any sea border reachable by crossing at most one adjacent card."

Or perhaps

"Move to any sea border reachable by sailing through at most one adjacent card."

It would include sea borders on the current location and all those one card away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.