43 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

King of Tokyo» Forums » General

Subject: KoT - Power Up! 2nd Edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven K
msg tools
I've heard the rumor that in 2017 they will release the 2nd edition of the first expansion Power Up! that will allow players to use KoT monsters for KoNY. However, will the 2nd edition give us new Evolution cards we can use for Cyber Kitty, Space Penguin, and Baby Gigasaur from KoT reissue? Right now I'm using Cyber Bunny's Evolution cards for Cyber Kitty but I have nothing for Space Penguin, and although I can use Gigasaur for Baby Gigasaur I really wish they can have separate decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Superion wrote:
will the 2nd edition give us new Evolution cards we can use for Cyber Kitty, Space Penguin, and Baby Gigasaur from KoT reissue?

I think it would be very weird if it didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine Space Penguin will have original cards for sure, but I don't expect Cyber Kitty's power up cards to be any different from Cyber Bunny's other than a name swap on the cards.

Don't get your hopes up for Baby Gigasaur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
Naarden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewkapish wrote:
I don't expect Cyber Kitty's power up cards to be any different from Cyber Bunny's other than a name swap on the cards.

Oh wait, of course that's what you meant, OP. whistle Sorry.

So, yeah I too think they'll be the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becuae I own and prefer the first edition, it would be great if they include evolution cards for Kraken and Cyber Buny to be used in King of New York. I already own power up, so I will buy the Power Up second esition only if there is a new monster and power up cards to use the KoT monsters in KoNY (including the ones from first edition).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be nothing for Cyber Bunny in New York. They can't do Bunny due to legal reasons.
It's also be kinda weird to do Kraken New York stuff, as it would be the only one, and would really stand out going forward. (Also, Kraken is basically replaced by Cthulhu with the boosters next year)

They've also said that Baby G in the Exclusive will be treated as identical to Regular G, so don't expect anything there.

None of the following is official, just best guesses.
It would be kinda weird for then to have 5 reprint sets of evolutions, and then make 2 brand new sets for Kitty and Penguin. And replacing all 7 Tokyo sets would kind of defeat the purpose of a "reprint". There's also the fact that it would be that much more work to design/playtest new stuff.

So I firmly believe that they will just reflavor the Kraken stack to work with Penguin. Reflavoring isn't all that hard.
They might do minor balance/clarity tweaks, but they will mechanically be identical to the originals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
There will not be evolutions for Kraken in the second edition because Kraken is being replaced by the upcoming monster pack for Cthulhu, which comes packaged with evolutions for both games. If Cthulhu doesn't suit you, he may still have evos that can pass for Kraken ones though.
There will, however, be all new Space Penguin evos.

Sadly, Baby Gigazaur is confirmed to never be getting any unique evo deck.

In addition, KoT Powerup 2nd Edition is not the same as KoNY Powerup. Both allow for cross compatibility but one gives evos to the KoT folks and one to KoNY. Each introduces a new monster, though there is no confirmation that the KoT 2nd Ed newcomer isn't just a Pandakai redux.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe a set of generic evolutions would be good, usable by anybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe-Sterphone
United States
Goleta
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Customer Service, Translator, Webmaster, Reviewer Contact for IELLO USA
badge
Ask me stuff! I'll help you!
mbmbmbmbmb
We definitely will be releasing a new version of Power Up in the beginning of 2017! This will include two sets of Evolutions: 1 for beefing up your KOT monsters in Tokyo, and 1 for playing with KOT monsters in New York. There is more exciting news about this expansion, but I'm making sure I'm allowed to talk about it first!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven K
msg tools
daloester wrote:
We definitely will be releasing a new version of Power Up in the beginning of 2017! This will include two sets of Evolutions: 1 for beefing up your KOT monsters in Tokyo, and 1 for playing with KOT monsters in New York. There is more exciting news about this expansion, but I'm making sure I'm allowed to talk about it first!

Sounds awesome! Can you confirm what KOT monsters will receive the Evolution cards in this 2nd edition of KOT Power Up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
I no longer work for IELLO.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superion wrote:
daloester wrote:

Sounds awesome! Can you confirm what KOT monsters will receive the Evolution cards in this 2nd edition of KOT Power Up?
Gigazaur + The King + Alienoid + Meca Dragon + Cyber Kitty + Space Penguin + Pandakai.
And just so you know: the 2 new guys will get their own, unique Evolution sets (not just updated sets from their predecessors).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
And just so you know: the 2 new guys will get their own, unique Evolution sets (not just updated sets from their predecessors).
I love being wrong when it's this awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coran Sloss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Yep. Space Penguin was bound to get new evos but hearing that Cyber Kitty won't be just a Bunny reskin makes me very happy indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
Superion wrote:
daloester wrote:

Gigazaur + The King + Alienoid + Meca Dragon + Cyber Kitty + Space Penguin + Pandakai.

Still sad that the Kraken won't get evolution cards for KONY. Also the fact that the next KOTU is basically an update (Likely for the new monsters Cyber kitty and penguin) for KOT second edition irks the heck out of me. I don't want to get a second edition of the game if I have it already.

I guess I'm jumping the gun her but can you at least settle those that own the original will still get great features so I can play KOT monsters in KONY?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mattintheweb wrote:
Superion wrote:
daloester wrote:

It seems really cool, but I think I will not buy second edition just for two new monsters, and although I might be buying KoNY + PW in the future, I don't care that much about combining monsters from the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornixt wrote:
Maybe a set of generic evolutions would be good, usable by anybody.

This is already the case. The card backs are all the same precisely so that one can mix-and-match evolutions to make customized decks. It's an official variant listed in the Power Up! rulebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven K
msg tools
Mattintheweb wrote:
Superion wrote:
daloester wrote:

This is terrific news. I won't mind spend money for 2nd edition of KOT Power Up! knowing that we will get new Evolution cards for Cyber Kitty and Space Penguin.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gns000 wrote:
It seems really cool, but I think I will not buy second edition just for two new monsters
Just to be clear: that's not what we're trying to do here. If you already own the first version of KoT and Power Up, there's no real need to buy the new ones!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Wasser
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Is there any chance those of us with the 1st Edition KoT and PU will be able to purchase just the KoNY evolution cards? Like possibly through your site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
uoldgoat wrote:
Is there any chance those of us with the 1st Edition KoT and PU will be able to purchase just the KoNY evolution cards? Like possibly through your site?
I really don't think so, as it would be quite a lot of trouble to sell them just around the same price as the expansion itself… shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Love
Wales
flag msg tools
A slightly different query.

I own the original King Of Tokyo and really want the Power Up expansion (and ideally the Halloween expansion). I can still buy the Halloween expansion in a few places, but I can't find the Power Up expansion in the english language except for extortionately priced copies on ebay.

So my question is... would the 2nd edition power up expansion be compatible with both the original KOT, and also the Halloween power-ups (with the exception of the obvious mis-match between Space Penguin and Kraken and potentially different design of power up cards between 2nd edition and Halloween)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwyrcoch wrote:
So my question is... would the 2nd edition power up expansion be compatible with both the original KOT, and also the Halloween power-ups (with the exception of the obvious mis-match between Space Penguin and Kraken and potentially different design of power up cards between 2nd edition and Halloween)?
Yes!
The only potential issue would be the card backs for the 12 Costumes in Halloween.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Love
Wales
flag msg tools
Thank you.

Sorry, I wasn't clear at all there!

I meant whether the 2nd edition power up was compatible with original KOT and original Halloween... So costume cards would be fine.

So I guess the only compatibility issues would be the missing kraken power up in 2nd edition power up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwyrcoch wrote:
so I guess the only compatibility issues would be the missing kraken power up in 2nd edition power up?
Yes. Literally the only compatibility issue is that two stacks of Evolutions will have "the wrong name". Which, honestly, barely counts as an issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthieu BONIN
France
Laxou
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dwyrcoch wrote:
I meant whether the 2nd edition power up was compatible with original KOT and original Halloween... So costume cards would be fine.

So I guess the only compatibility issues would be the missing kraken power up in 2nd edition power up?
Oh sorry. Yes, no issues at all with the Evolution cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.