Great Western Trail» Forums » Rules

Subject: Transport costs with Money you just earned in KC rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi,

Just for clarification: The Money you just got from you cattles in Kansas City you can immediately spend to Pay the transport costs right?

I just ask because the rules Tell you to first keep the money seperate but I guess it is only to remind you how far you can go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can, because of this you always have enough money to pay the transportation cost. The rule book points this out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skazz of Discworld
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thx for the quick answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If I chose to clear a disc which had a cost attached (ie increase hand size) can I use the money obtained during income to pay for this?

I assumed I cannot, as it is used to cover an transport costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
genoan wrote:
If I chose to clear a disc which had a cost attached (ie increase hand size) can I use the money obtained during income to pay for this?

I assumed I cannot, as it is used to cover an transport costs.

It is available to be used as soon as you get it. You can pay transport costs from it and also use it to pay for the increased hand size disc. The money is only set aside in the rules so that you have a visual reminder of which cities you can transport to. It is not set aside to prevent you from using it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
g colhoun
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, of course; makes sense, thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... paying transport costs comes after paying for your disc, and since the rules say "you are always able to pay any transport costs arising" there is a strong case for the interpretation that those monies you just earned cannot be used to pay for the disc. Either that or the quote above is technically incorrect.

I've been playing that you can use the money just earned, but a clarification from the designer would certainly be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You get the money for your cows in phase "4 Income". If your herd is sufficiently bad, you may end up with less than 5 dollars.

Now you enter phase "5 Delivery". Per the rules this consists of several steps which are presented in the following order (though they are not numbered):
1) you select a city for the delivery (the question seems to be about Kansas City so let's assume KC is the target city)
2) you select a disc from your player board which fulfills the rules (normally it must be a disc from a white spot if the delivery is to KC, but if all white spots are already cleared, a disc from a black spot is acceptable, if other potential requirements are fulfilled - in case of the question it would require to "immediately pay 5 dollars")
3) you put the disc onto the city and get whatever immediate benefit it may have (like 6 dollars from KC)
4) you pay transport costs (which are zero and thus irrelevant for KC)

My conclusion is that if you make a delivery to KC which leaves you with less than 5 dollar after "4 Income", you cannot use the money you will get in step 3 by delivering to KC to pay the money you need to free the disc in step 2.

But then everything in "5 Delivery" may happen in the order decided by the player, and it would be ok to do 3) before 2).

Btw. the remark "Note: Since you gain your income beforehand, you are always able to pay any transport costs arising." remains correct, since the maximum transport costs you have to pay for deliveries to the black cities is always at least 5 dollars less than the minimum herd value required for that city (e.g. El Paso = 12, max. 7 crosses to pay for).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:

1) you select a city for the delivery (the question seems to be about Kansas City so let's assume KC is the target city)

You're confused here- no one was discussing a delivery to KC.

DocCool wrote:
Btw. the remark "Note: Since you gain your income beforehand, you are always able to pay any transport costs arising." remains correct, since the maximum transport costs you have to pay for deliveries to the black cities is always at least 5 dollars less than the minimum herd value required for that city (e.g. El Paso = 12, max. 7 crosses to pay for).

Nice catch! It's a moot point then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Bocholt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
DocCool wrote:

Only a delivery to KC gives you extra money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DocCool wrote:
verandi wrote:

Only a delivery to KC gives you extra money.

No one was discussing extra money... the question was about the money you receive during sub-phase 4: Income.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.