Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Krzysiek
Poland
Chorzów
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

I'm about to start my first scenario in Mummy's Mask and I'd like to make sure I am understanding the trigger keyword correctly. The trigger keyword only activates if I am using a spell or an item to examine a location deck and happen to encounter a card with this specific keyword?

So if I am making a normal exploration during my turn and reveal a 'trigger' card I will then ignore the keyword and just resolve the remaining text on clothe card?

Thanks in advance for Your advice,

- K.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exactly.

(Kind of odd to use the word "encounter" in your question.... I get what you mean though. But "encounter" is a game term and you only encounter a triggered card when you examine it if the trigger says to.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ice Man
United States
Oak Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm thinking that's only sort of the case, after all.
But I'm short on sleep, so maybe this is nitpicking.

The trigger trait is there to say, "if you're examining, see below - something is going to happen."
So while you say, "the trigger keyword only activates...", the trigger trait has no activation in and of itself.

The text, otoh, is just the text. Absolutely, some of it should take effect when you examine the card. And certainly, you only do what you are told to do by the 'when examining' text when you are, you know, examining. Nor do you do any of the 'when examining' text when you are encountering the card normally.

But there are now plenty of cards that say, "When you examine or encounter this card..."
And I just don't want that fine hair to get missed - gotta split them all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Takai
Switzerland
Thun
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
Exactly.

I agree as well: when exploring the Trigger is not activated.

And yes, if the card is triggered, the text needs to be read closely. Not all triggers mandate encountering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artem Trytiak
United States
Fremont
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
For example i have 0 examine items / spells in my deck so TRIGGER ability was used just couple times during my adventures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can play without using any examination powers, and mostly avoid triggers.

Some locations and scenarios are going to force an examine, so you'll be exposed to triggers then.

Any time you use a Blessing of the Ancients to explore, you'll be examining.

And there are many cards that let you examine (in the late-game there is a blessing that examines an entire location, and a spell that does the same). You're giving up a lot of scouting power if you ignore them.

Triggers are not all bad. They are often free explores (at a cost, but the cost often isn't too high).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.