Subject: Visiting a tile twice during the same half-year rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is what the title suggests possible? Say I begin my turn at a Joiner. I then visit a nearby Grove as my first action, then move to an adjacent Market as my second. Is it a legal move to return to the Grove as my third action and reuse his ability?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. The only thing you couldn't do is return to the joiner with your third move. (Edge case: if you had more than one steward, a second steward could move to the joiner with your third move.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Puls
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes. That is a legal move.
You only may not end on the Joiner in your case again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thx guys!

To be fair, there was nothing in the rules explicitly preventing me to do that, I just felt that I may be out of line with the "spirit" of the ruleset.

In fact, I have to admit, it's one of the best written rulebooks I've ever read! The Appendix and Introductory game are also of great help and equally well written. If anything, I'd say the rulebook is very detailed and may scare some people away due to its volume

It's really a very easy game to learn/teach though. And a very enjoyable too! Onwards to the third era!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nasosp wrote:
To be fair, there was nothing in the rules explicitly preventing me to do that, I just felt that I may be out of line with the "spirit" of the ruleset.

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't do that because you can. The rules don't say you can't visit a place twice, only that you can't end on the place you started at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanasis Patsios
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FunkyBlue wrote:
Nasosp wrote:

There is nothing in the rules that says you can't do that because you can. The rules don't say you can't visit a place twice, only that you can't end on the place you started at.

And that's exactly what I said, no?

I was trying to get confirmation, hence my comment afterwards about not being an issue with the rulebook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just confirming

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kareem Koh
Malaysia
Puchong
Selangor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have two stewards can they swap spaces? I.e. Move one off and the other takes its place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, that's one of the advantages of having multiple stewards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
Yes. The only thing you couldn't do is return to the joiner with your third move. (Edge case: if you had more than one steward, a second steward could move to the joiner with your third move.)

Thanks for the clarification, that was helpful!

The rules are dubious on this, to be honest, as the term "turn" is used both for the whole 3 consecutive turns as well as for each of the three. (Only a few lines before the ruling in question, it says: "You are not required to move the same Steward on all three of your TURNS...By no means may you move more than on Steward per TURN.") Therefore, the point in question could also be read as: You can not end on the same tile as you started on ONE OF THE 3 CONSECUTIVE TURNS, meaning you cannot use the same tile twice in a row.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
greetingsfrombergen wrote:
The rules are dubious on this, to be honest, as the term "turn" is used both for the whole 3 consecutive turns as well as for each of the three.

Do you have an example of where the rules do so? I tried to avoid exactly that; seems I've failed in some instances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
The rules are dubious on this, to be honest, as the term "turn" is used both for the whole 3 consecutive turns as well as for each of the three.

Do you have an example of where the rules do so? I tried to avoid exactly that; seems I've failed in some instances.

Page 7 section heading "Your Turn" seems to mean player turn (i.e. all 3) and uses "turn" for the individual moves.

Think that is the only case where Turn (capital "T") is used - turn (lowercase) seems to be consistently used elsewhere. But it does raise questions about actions limited to one per turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

It is tricky, I see. Overall perfectly understandable and well written rules, though.
In the snip below, the turns with (my) red circles is assumed to be describing the whole "3-turns" (unless "required" should be "allowed" in (my) blue circle, that one is maybe the other).
While (my) black circles is supposedly one singlar turn within that Turn. It might very well also be my poor language understanding...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Calling an action - which you have three of each turn - "a turn" is indeed confusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:

It is tricky, I see. Overall perfectly understandable and well written rules, though.
In the snip below, the turns with (my) red circles is assumed to be describing the whole "3-turns" (unless "required" should be "allowed" in (my) blue circle, that one is maybe the other).
While (my) black circles is supposedly one singlar turn within that Turn. It might very well also be my poor language understanding...

You're right - turn is used ambiguously here. I'll have it corrected in future print runs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
Calling an action - which you have three of each turn - "a turn" is indeed confusing.

You can take more than one action per turn: paying the fee, moving your steward, using some special action allowed by a colony ... Calling a turn "an action" would have been the more confusing approach.

You could call the three turns collectively "one go" or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
RDewsbery wrote:

You can take more than one action per turn: paying the fee, moving your steward, using some special action allowed by a colony ... Calling a turn "an action" would have been the more confusing approach.

You could call the three turns collectively "one go" or something like that.

What about calling each of the turns in your go a sub-turn? Lame, but works for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have a turn - or a go. It consists of three Impulses - each Impulse is a move, which will take you to a Place. At a Place you must perform an Action.

Or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or simply call them Moves. You get three moves each turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about calling the half-year 'the half-year'? whistle
Each half-year has three turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I Agree that using the term half-year is the most straightforward.

The actual rule is that if the steward moves, it must end the half-year on a different tile than it was on at the beginning of that half-year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
D'oh! Thank you, using "half-year" when talking about one's set of 3 turns somehow never occured to me ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Weaver
United States
Denver
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ponton wrote:
D'oh! Thank you, using "half-year" when talking about one's set of 3 turns somehow never occured to me ...

That doesn't really work. A half-year is three turns for each player, not just for one player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We say Era, Year, Turns, of which you get two per year, and Actions, of which you get three per turn. Within an action, you may have an unlimited number of builds if building.

This makes it easy to explain that you can rearrange storage/buffers/warehouses between actions, but not between builds. It also assists in explaining that multuple development cards are considered separate actions allowing for reorganizing of storage between them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grzegorz Kobiela
Germany
Hanover
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
Editor at Lookout Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Using "action" won't work with the Institute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.