Subject: Horror/Suspense/Mystery Genre rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Killer Rollz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm trying to find more co-operative games to play with my wife whom has recently taken a liking to games with a 'creepy' feel to them. Most notably she has enjoyed the T.I.M.E Stories base game for its insane asylum and creepy artwork as well as showing interest in games like Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition. We have also been playing Elder Sign, Ghost Stories and Betrayal at House on the Hill. What gems of the creepy and co-op am I missing out on guys and gals?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Eldritch Horror (or, if you enjoy fiddliness: Arkham Horror)
Fury of Dracula (third edition) (one-vs-many, so not strictly coop but the hunters play as a team)
Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game
Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients

Also, there's various versions of Zombicide and the relatively new Pandemic: Reign of Cthulhu, neither of which I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror: The Card Game is coming out next month.

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Killer Rollz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the reply! We think much alike. I own Dead of Winter already but unfortunately tainted it for my wife by playing the role of Traitor too well the last game we played with friends. :-p

Similarly I own Fury of Dracula but she tired of playing 4 hunters when 2 player was all we had open.

I just bought the Legendary (Big Trouble in Little China) edition which she does like but makes a purchase of a similar game unlikely.

We have Mansions of Madness and Elder Sign so I'm a bit worried about getting so much same like gaming with Eldrich/Arkham (But I love the Lovecraft style games).

I'm very intrigued by Shadows of Brimstone... that's going to make my list.

With the zombicide I've got Zpocalypse on a similar note, and Pandemic I've got Pandemic Legacy but have been looking towards Pandemic: Iberia since watching Zee Garcia's review from The Dice Tower.

Thanks again for the suggestions, Shadows looks like a slam dunk. If anyone has any other ideas, yell em out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a litte warning... be aware, that Shadows of Brimstone comes with miniatures that are unassembled. It does require a bit of work.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Killer Rollz
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
no worries. I've kind of got the itch to paint my miniatures anyway so maybe that will make it easier? (It does make me fear buying Star Wars Rebellion though because I will have to paint all that too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just something to keep in mind. Not everyone is into that kind of stuff.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arkham Horror LCG will be different enough mechanically speaking that it's worth a look.

Fireteam Zero Is weird World War 2. Very clean, simple rules but with very deep card play.

Dark Darker Darkest, zombies in a mansion. Game took a two-fold hit because of a poorly run post-Kickstarter and poor rulebook. A revised downloadable rulebook fixed the latter issue. More Euro than anything else.

Elder Sign with the Gates of Arkham expansion is basically Arkham Horror the dice game.

Mythos Tales is Lovecraft Mystery. You could go the Jack the Ripper meets Sherlock Holmes with the recently released Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: Jack the Ripper & West End Adventures.

A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game is basically Tim Burtons Sleepy Hollow. While mechanically meh, the theme is oozing out of this one.

Camp Grizzly is Friday the 13th.

Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper is a great variation of Rummy. Always nice to have a quick set up and fast playing game in hand.

Smash Up with the Smash Up: Monster Smash and Smash Up: The Obligatory Cthulhu Set. Solid game.

Jorune

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malcom Chase
msg tools
mbmbmb
As the famous options have already been mentioned, I'll offer a different one.

Slaughterville has great theme, but so-so mechanics.

What I just love about it is that you have a whole town to save, and most of the enemies (in the base set) affect the town. Some kill the inhabitants, other turn them into more monsters. It's awesome.

So, great theming, as the cards have long and cool descriptions; several enemies to choose from, which give replayability; and the mechanics ooze theme.

BUT, the game should have been polished a lot more before release. You NEED the rules clarification that were eventually posted online, and the Serial Killer is completely unbalanced if you play with less that four characters. The other enemies are kinda easy, though.

There are several more problems with it, keep in mind that I only mentioned a few of them.

So... maybe more an "activity" than a "game", but a cool one if you are into it. What some would call "random" I call "suspenseful"

If you are looking for theme instead of challenge, and don't mind hunting down some rule clarifications, this one could work. I'd still recommend looking into the other suggestions first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arno van Mark
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Try Witch of Salem....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.