Subject: This is one of my favourite games ever, but its... SO....HARD..... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Niclas Lundberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really love this game. It has quite a long setup and explanation time, and I played it around 8 times, and I've never been anything else than the Captain+Engineer (I don't really mind that, as long as everyone is having fun) and all the times I've played the game, with strangers and with close friends, everyone has had a blast from start to finish.

However, of these 8 times, I only ever finished the game once. And that was last night. It was Mission 1. On "easy" setting. And we BARELY made it (as in barely = it came down to the last and final Core Breach 11 Hyperjump roll)
Final round starting:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BMKRXSQhuoV/?taken-by=plolock&hl...

Here's just a picture from just before the final and last shot the hyperjump roll: https://www.instagram.com/p/BMLo1ezhXS6/?taken-by=plolock&hl...

I find it that the game is so stupid hard, I could never assume a victory on a normal or hard setting. And our tractor beam officer was a mind/tokenreader, she just claimed all the combinations in time all the time. Don't get me wrong, it was all super glorious, but the game is so hard I don't know if I'll ever win again ever.

It feels like it comes down to if enemies to 5 or 1 damage on your hull with simple dice roll - and its the same thing every time with Mission 1: We end up on the last tile with the enemies surrounding us, being 1 or 2 turns away from a possible (or impossible) tractor attempt, and we usually blow up from the core breach. (mind you last night, I basically finished the Core Breach 6 final card wile the buzzer was beating - so we said it'd have to count for otherwise we would have died..)

Does anyone think its stupid hard? I mean, its more difficult than Arkham Horror..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I've found the difficulty of the game correlates pretty closely to the skill of your weapons officer. If they're on target, things generally go smoother.

It is tough though. The thing is, in order to fully enjoy the game you need to be able to laugh at the disasters that befall your ship. It's what I call a 'Comedy of Errors' game. If you aren't ready to take the mistakes and misfortune lightly, it might be a difficult game to enjoy. And it can be tough to do that with how long the game is!

It's also possible you're missing a rule or two. Hard to say from here! :^)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Lundberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there's no hard feelings like that - but people are just generally more into seeing the light at the end of the tunnel. And the light is so small in this case, its barely noticable..

We kept asking ourselves, while playing on "easy settings": "Is this REALLY supposed to be this difficult?" over and over and over

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after 8 plays, presumably with at least some returning players, I'd say the answer ought to be 'No, it shouldn't be THAT hard.' But it really comes down to how good each player is at their stations. Does your weapons guy constantly miss? Failing to destroy enemies will definitely put you in a bad way. Does your sensors officer struggle to get locks? You need to do that to grab the crystals. Is your helm officer always getting in the wrong spot? Does your shields officer never get very much protection up?

Each station has a skill associated to it that one can improve on with practice. Ideally, over a few plays the crew should get better and have more success.

EDIT - Also I have no idea how you survived a level 11 core breach. I wouldn't think that's possible! Also, I looked at your pictures and that's a surprising stack of enemies on you at the end. It's been a while, but I seem to remember that you can get far enough away from enemies that they'll loose their lock and you can just leave them behind. Might be something the sensors needs to do? I don't recall just now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niclas Lundberg
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, we survived a Core Breach 6 at the beginning of the turn, making us survive until the next enemy phase, when we got shot by 4 different ships. As Core breach repair is resolved earlier in the round, we just had to jump away before we had to resolve the 11? Right? I agree, its not possible to survive it - and we did survive it, because we never got to the point when we had to resolve it! The core breach 11 simply made it so that the hyperjump officer didn't have any additional energy: only the 30 seconds and cards he had unlocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Carey
Scotland
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mb
I always take the mission briefings in the way that achieving everything (e.g. collecting all the crystals) is a gold star performance. Getting one crystal and getting out by the skin of your teeth makes for an awesome experience. I'd just be telling the bosses back at hq "Why didn't i get all three crystals? Are you mad? Did you see what i had to deal with!!"
I feel it is a push-your-luck/skill game.
I'm also usually the captain, engineer. It's one of my favourite games and like to brief the crew that getting one crystal is our goal with all 3 an amazing performance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.