Subject: Thoughts on first player advantage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have any thoughts on this game and its potential for first player advantage? Do you feel the starting clank does enough to offset going later in the turn in terms of moving later than others and buying later than others?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:
Does anyone have any thoughts on this game and its potential for first player advantage? Do you feel the starting clank does enough to offset going later in the turn in terms of moving later than others and buying later than others?

No. The effective length of the game is long enough and unless the first player gets really lucky by buying two really good - but somehow cheap cards - in the beginning, there's no advantage.

In fact, the buying thing is same across all deckbuilders where there is no first player adjustment.

Players cannot block each other in this game and as for items you can collect, they are fair across the board unless you try to follow another players steps all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have played 13 games and she is 3-10 so far and she generally goes first. In fact her first win was when I went first. That does not mean there is no first player advantage, just that it's not enough to give a big enough advantage for the win without better play. You can make bad choices that will offset any advantage so I dot think there is a concern. You have to make good choices in building your deck to be successful. The starting clank is really not relavant to us.Love the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that it was pretty simple to make sure that there are no clank removing cards among the first 10 or 12 cards in the row. Those are a clear advantage given that during the first turns, the players will send many cubes in the bag with the stumbles returning often.

There is one card, I cannot recall for sure, I think it's "moving silently" (2 boots and 2 clanks removed) which is way too powerful if taken at the start, since it can cancel the effect of Stumble in early rounds while giving a lot of speed to outrun the others, and it just costs 3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana R.
United States
Claremont
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Devotium Popcornicus
mbmbmbmbmb
Solipsiste wrote:

There is one card, I cannot recall for sure, I think it's "moving silently" (2 boots and 2 clanks removed) which is way too powerful if taken at the start, since it can cancel the effect of Stumble in early rounds while giving a lot of speed to outrun the others, and it just costs 3...

Pure luck, just as in every time I have bought the card all the clank gets dumped into the bag just before I have a chance to use it - very frustrating but reminds me that in this game it could very well go the way you stated. Folks looking for something with less 'luck' should just look elsewhere. That card you mentioned has helped me little, someday it will. For those of us that love chances this game is wonderful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Limoges
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the game too and I don't believe there is too much luck in it.

We keep the clank reducing cards away from the opening row because it did lead to a problematic game and the players in our group get frustrated with the card I mentionned if it turns out on turn 1, that's it. That's not much, and for us, it helps giving the game a challenging start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.