Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Grano
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a minor quibble, but the very first word that appears on the game board of the brand new 2016 printing of this game is misspelled. It should read "earnings," not "eanings."

Maybe spell check the next print run?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well maybe it's a phonics thing. I mean if you say "eanings" the right way it's a very Chicagoan pronunciation. I applaud GMT on their interjection of theme into this great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
First off, I apologize for not catching this error.

Not only did I fail to catch it (and it's my job), but so did everyone on BGG when I posted the draft board. Sometimes, you just go blind staring at a document. That's part of why I posted a draft version to the 1846 forum and why I got several other people to review it. Everyone missed it.

However, this is not just a case of failing to turn a spellcheck feature on. Spellcheck was not available for any of the 1846 files I reviewed, except for the rules. I had to check everything by hand.

Some large graphics programs do not support global spellcheck. The process of turning huge documents into smaller pdfs for review often results in spellcheck no longer being available. This was the case for the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArrBeeDee Dial
United States
Lexington Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tom.

Seems one of our talented users need to make a 'sticker'...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The preview image was small enough that I can't really read the text on my 1920x1080 monitor. I would suggest posting a larger image for any future previews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
First off, I apologize for not catching this error.

Not only did I fail to catch it (and it's my job), but so did everyone on BGG when I posted the draft board. Sometimes, you just go blind staring at a document. That's part of why I posted a draft version to the 1846 forum and why I got several other people to review it. Everyone missed it.

However, this is not just a case of failing to turn a spellcheck feature on. Spellcheck was not available for any of the 1846 files I reviewed, except for the rules. I had to check everything by hand.

Some large graphics programs do not support global spellcheck. The process of turning huge documents into smaller pdfs for review often results in spellcheck no longer being available. This was the case for the board.

Tom,

I create electrical engineering drawings that can become a 1000 page+ package, and that package of drawings needs to communicate clearly and accurately between pages. I feel your pain. Now I have to look at my copy of "1846" to see what shenanigans I can find there myself. Should be easy enough to do, your brand-new GMT game is all set up right now on my dining room table, waiting for a 5-player session this afternoon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
alfonzo54 wrote:
The preview image was small enough that I can't really read the text on my 1920x1080 monitor. I would suggest posting a larger image for any future previews.

Fair enough; the BGG preview image was at reduced size. The image sent out to my other proof-readers was at much higher resolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a proof reader as well, and didn't catch everything. So it's not just Tom that missed it.

I'll observe that if proof readers catch 90% of the errors in a draft, those errors are (usually) fixed. It's hard to tell how effective proof readers are by just looking at the final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, one missed "r" on a label on the board isn't going to break the game for me. I hadn't actually noticed it yet in my glances at the board, and will have likely forgotten about this by the time it actually hits the table for a play (for which I am very excited now that the rules are read through).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it doesn't affect the functionality of the game, who cares?

Players forget that the designers in this hobby do it because they love the hobby, not because board game design is a lucrative career.

Thanks for the work on this Tom; ignore the noise. You have a great game here and GMT has done a great production of it. No need to defend yourself. Had I discovered the error, I would have perhaps sent you a personal note, but certainly not run off to the internet to complain.

Thanks for the days and hours of your life you have spent on this project so that I might find a few hours of enjoyment in mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
TBH, one missed "r" on a label on the board isn't going to break the game for me. I hadn't actually noticed it yet in my glances at the board, and will have likely forgotten about this by the time it actually hits the table for a play (for which I am very excited now that the rules are read through).

Actually, I officially consider this game to be broken now. I don't know what eaning is!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
cmontgo2 wrote:
If it doesn't affect the functionality of the game, who cares?

I care, although at least it wasn't "eaning's". That said, I did think the thread title here was quite cheeky, and the discovery of a typo does not perhaps merit a thread of its own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
There are two kinds of people in this world. The people who create and make stuff, and the people who complain about the stuff the creators make.

I still remember my masters thesis. I had read and reread it countless times, my wife read it as did my thesis advisor, the committee that I presented by work too, at least for five other people.

After was all said and done, and I receive my nicely bound personal copy, I opened it up to a random page and the first things my eyes landed on was a mistake. Life happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another: In Rule 3.1, it says "treasures" when it should say "treasuries".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
Here's another: In Rule 3.1, it says "treasures" when it should say "treasuries".

And something spellcheck wouldn't catch.

Fortunately I'm fluent in typo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As predicted, when this hit the table over the weekend I completely forgot about this thread, and the typo was not noticed (thus did not ruin the game). whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.