8 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Worth buying if I already own Rue Morgue? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kisli Kiwi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question is simple - I'm thinking of buying Zombicide Black Plague and I already own Rue Morgue. Is it worth it?

I think Rue Morgue is a fun and solid game. There are some minor things that bother me though, like shooting your survivors first when in the same space as zombies (I find Black Plague takes care of this better) and some random elements that make you loose the game (I'm still decideing if this is some rule flaw or I just didn't play optimaly as this happened some time ago, but it happened to me twice - if I remeber correctly a couple of runners spawned when I opened the room and then runners got a second activation. Instant loss.).

The medieval settings appeals to me a lot more, the minis are really cool (as always from CMON) and I love how they handled the player boards. I've had Black Plague on my wishlist for quite some time now, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Any advice would be appreciated. Any alternative suggestions? I know these are different games and the solo mode would be a great addition to me, but what about The Others: 7 Sins, Descent? I'm planning on getting Conan also, when is it coming out? Oh, and I know about Mage Knight, but the minis are just awful to me and a big turn off.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play a lot of Zombicide, then BP adds a new flavor to the mix. I especially like the streets on the BP map boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dislike zombicide. I think it is a fun activity and not really a well developed game - but I've never played Rue Morgue, maybe the scenarios on that one are incredible.

I really like Black Plague. It is still random as hell and some bad luck on draws will kill your heroes fast and leave you without hope of winning. But I would say the rules are a bit more interesting, the scenarios are more balanced and not really broken, and the chance of a total loss due only to luck is not as pronounced.

It has a similar feel but it is a better game.

If you want a different feel:
The Others is very different, interesting and fun, although it really favors the overlord player (but lots of people disagree with me on that) and luck is a huge element of the game: you are constantly wishing for the right rolls, the right cards, the misses from your adversary and so on. But a very fun game nonetheless.

Descent is a classic dungeon crawler. It also has balancing issues but this varies from scenario to scenario. But I love the game.

Conan is great also, but the scenarios are very strict and not really very replayable -and at the moment there is also not a lot of them. And you do have to get the corrections for the manual (not a big deal if you know your way around BGG). There is a lot of potential on Conan, but it is not there yet. But probably the most balanced of all those games.

Although I may sound overly critical, I have and like to play all those games and think they are a fun addition to any collection, but you do have to play them with the right crowd and adjust your expectations accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And about Mage Knight: it is easily the best game of all of those, but it is also a long, involved experience and it has a puzzle-like feel. Which makes it really not comparable to those other games (although I just did it).

It is also a game for a select feel, due to its difficulty and extensive, complex ruleset. But what a game cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kisli Kiwi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind complex games. In fact, I love games like Falling Sky, Maria or Terra Mystica. The problem for me is finding players for these kind of games. Or any kind of games for that matter, that's why the solo possibility is a big plus.

I hear only good things about Mage Knight and am considering getting it, but every time I check the components, those minis turn me off. I'd rather see cardboard chits than those ugly prepainted heroes

Thank you for you answers! I'm definitely getting Conan, I used to read a lot of his comics as a kid and actually still read them sometimes, so this one is a must for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chang chang

Connecticut
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is one of the best, more challenging games in my collection (And I own a LOT)

regarding ur question: did you enjoy Rue? did you had a blast for what it is an ameritrash sandbox game? if you like it, then yes!

I own ALL zombicide... sadly I don't think I`ll be playing the modern ones again (wish I could find a buyer, but too lazy to sell) because ZBP added so much flavor imo...

(please consider though that this opinion is being given from the perspective of a KS backer of knight level)

enjoy gaming

PS if yo have a group of friends check Descent (OV vs players) or you can solo it (I think) with the coop app (imo AMAZING! coop)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kisli Kiwi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pulled the trigger and bought Black Plague.

Let me tell you ... wow, this is one great game The change of setting, those minor rule changes and the Necromancers add a lot to it. It's great fun! I liked Rue Morgue, but this is so much better

I'm planning on getting Wulfsburg and maybe the Hero box also.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of players (not me) seem to like the hardest competitive game they can find. I'd be careful about adding in the Wulfsburg stuff plus the extra abominations and necromancers unless you want to die. If you can't resist you might take Xena along (oops Xuxa). Tough to balance with all that stuff in there. But then the same is true of a lot of games when you add in a bunch of expansions right? It's just the way things are these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.