Dungeon Degenerates: Hand of Doom» Forums » General

Subject: I'm in... some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so I have been dithering, having been more burnt than pleasantly surprised by KS on average.

But then I see an early bird suddenly going spare, so in I go, just before I got to post this!

The art I love, the influences of old school GW and same period thrash are enough to make me want to support this, but sensible me asks the following:

The gameplay vids make it looks pretty good fun - the cobat ssystem is a bit like one I once came up with in the sense one roll sorts out attack and defence simultaneously. I hope tere is a lot more narrative stuff too with the "what do you do" Fighting Fantasy style events adding more story to the mayhem.

I was a bit scared by someone in the project stating that they went to a games shop for the first time in many years - is there a danger this game wont benefit from the advances in gaming that have occurred in those years, or are at least some the designers informed by those advances?

Finally, as a Brit, I am scared by shipping being paid afterwards, especially now we have decided to become our very own Wurstreich with Brexit! Scared that by the time we have to pay that, and the price it might turn out at (having heard horror stories elsewhere!) that it might end up costing more than the game itself.

Anyone have any thoughts or reassurances in those regards?

Other than those fears, this game really does look designed for (at least the 13 year old!)
Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Pigg
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric and Sean are both on BGG, so I'm sure they'll come by at some point to answer your question.

However, I think the one who said that was Sean, who does the art. Eric, the game designer, seems more active in modern gaming. Check out his collection and ratings here on BGG and you'll see plenty of modern game influences. This is just one backer to another, though, so take it with a grain of salt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Äaberg
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey Leigh - yeah, I hadn't been in a current model game store for a while but in doing research for how we were going to approach Dungeon Degenerates I've gone to every game store in Portland, listened to a million Dice Tower podcasts & all of their Board Game University podcasts & gotten my full current game industry education with Eric's help. Eric has kept up with gaming his whole life - so we're good & you'll be well taken care of with Dungeon Degenerates. Shipping - shipping will cost whatever shipping costs - we'll try & get the best value for service we can for you all. Your inner 13 year old will be thrilled & your current whatever you are will be taken on a sensational adventure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sean Aaberg wrote:
Hey Leigh - yeah, I hadn't been in a current model game store for a while but in doing research for how we were going to approach Dungeon Degenerates I've gone to every game store in Portland, listened to a million Dice Tower podcasts & all of their Board Game University podcasts & gotten my full current game industry education with Eric's help. Eric has kept up with gaming his whole life - so we're good & you'll be well taken care of with Dungeon Degenerates. Shipping - shipping will cost whatever shipping costs - we'll try & get the best value for service we can for you all. Your inner 13 year old will be thrilled & your current whatever you are will be taken on a sensational adventure.

cheers Paul and Sean

I have just had a gander at Erics games list anf it looks pretty reassuring when you look at his ratings - amazing what you can find on the internet!

I see you have been asking about regarding postage to the EU, so glad to see you are on it - I live in Birmingham, Home of Metal, so if there was any justice this game would just spawn randomly at Eddies,Scruffies or Subside, but given there is not justice, just us, I'm happy to take a punt on postie for now!

Loving the halloween goodies too - I would echo the calls for a character pack bundle for an all in for the lot discount. At the moment I know I want to get them all, but at the rate they are coming out not sure how many I will be able to justify. I'm sure my pledge will increase from $45, but hard to gauge how much so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Radey
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Hi Leigh,
I've definitely been keeping current with modern games.. glad you like my collection. I'm also bringing the influence of a zillion RPG's & miniatures games I own/have played/have written which are of course not listed here on my BGG collection
The Fighting Fantasy books are definitely an influence on this game, & I recently added a bunch of Encounters with multiple options for interaction. On top of that, many of them have a random element, so the same NPC may react to you entirely differently in different game sessions.
To coincide with the addition of more encounters, I've also tweaked the Danger deck to ramp up the frequency of encounters in the game from what you're seeing in the gameplay video. So you'll be finding slightly more encounters than I have been
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.