Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there. I'm curious if anyone has put out software to create cards (or game pieces, but primarily cards) for games?

Historically, I'd make an excel spreadsheet of cards and certain attributes of the cards, flavor text, etc. Then, I'd chop up some 3 x 5 cards and do them by hand.

However, I'd love to know if there were software out there that could let me create the card, set up where the attributes go on the card, maybe put in some images or such, and print them out in playing card size.

I've seen general purpose label type software, but was curious if someone had a more specific application they'd used for just such a purpose.

Thanks for any insight!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K.
United States
Spokane
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.plaincards.com/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AWESOME!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nanDECK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spire wrote:
I heartily second the recommendation for nanDECK.

Clark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
In addition to those two, I've been working on some software for that purpose for a while now. Significantly more visual than nanDECK, since I'm very visual and left-brained. I expect to be in beta in about a month.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Moulton Jr.
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was just about to post this same questions.

Also does anyone know if anyone sells cards that you can print onto (Als Apples to apples print your own cards), or is the best way to just print on card stock?

Wayne

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
That plaincards.com link above has pre-perfed cards that are pretty nice. They're a bit thinner than I prefer, and I make my own, but they're really not too shabby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrederick wrote:
In addition to those two, I've been working on some software for that purpose for a while now. Significantly more visual than nanDECK, since I'm very visual and left-brained. I expect to be in beta in about a month.

Please check it runs under Linux in the same way that nanDeck does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "QuickCards" program from the aforementioned plaincards link above is extremely easy to use. One of the best cheap investments I've made, gaming wise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
mfrederick wrote:

Unfortunately, it won't, sorry. It'll be Windows-only for a couple of reasons. First, I can program a whole lot more code under .Net in a much shorter time than I can otherwise... not saying that's some kind of truism for all people, but it's true for me. Second, I'm doing a fair bit of graphics programming with it, and it's comparitively easy with .Net.

Of course, I've heard that there are a lot of efforts to enable .net stuff under Linux (with some of Silverlight being Microsoft's efforts in that area). I'm no Microsoft fanboy at all, but personally I can't write this kind of complex application in C++ or Java or what have you. Gotta go the visual development route. I'm not a programmer by trade or as a hobby anymore, really, so I've got to take the easy route.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrederick wrote:
gamesbook wrote:
mfrederick wrote:

Unfortunately, it won't, sorry. It'll be Windows-only for a couple of reasons. First, I can program a whole lot more code under .Net in a much shorter time than I can otherwise... not saying that's some kind of truism for all people, but it's true for me. Second, I'm doing a fair bit of graphics programming with it, and it's comparitively easy with .Net.

Of course, I've heard that there are a lot of efforts to enable .net stuff under Linux (with some of Silverlight being Microsoft's efforts in that area). I'm no Microsoft fanboy at all, but personally I can't write this kind of complex application in C++ or Java or what have you. Gotta go the visual development route. I'm not a programmer by trade or as a hobby anymore, really, so I've got to take the easy route.

Did you look at nanDeck? It has not been "adapted" for Linux but simply runs under WINE. I am not sure the author took any particular pains to do this; but a straightforward Windows app (single .exe) should run in this environment. Please also bear in mind that many Windows users may not have access to all the .net library files (if that is how it works??). I am happy to test any beta code for basic compatibility.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mfrederick wrote:

The concept of right brain and left brain thinking developed from the research in the late 1960s of an American psycho-biologist Roger W Sperry. He discovered that the human brain has two very different ways of thinking. One (the right brain) is visual and processes information in an intuitive and simultaneous way, looking first at the whole picture then the details. The other (the left brain) is verbal and processes information in an analytical and sequential way, looking first at the pieces then putting them together to get the whole.

I think you are confused-brained

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matthew midgley
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does this online tool count?

http://bighugelabs.com/flickr/deck.php

Okay, it's just for making trading cards, but the results look pretty good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:

Did you look at nanDeck? It has not been "adapted" for Linux but simply runs under WINE. I am not sure the author took any particular pains to do this; but a straightforward Windows app (single .exe) should run in this environment.

Exactly, nanDECK runs almost without corrections under Wine (after loading Core Fonts for better compatibility with Windows fonts). By the way, there is only a glitch when rotating GIFs on angle different from 90, 180 or 270 (but with others image formats it runs fine).
Wine is very stable and useful, at least with a single exe program who extensively uses Windows API like nanDECK.

P.S.: Thanks to Edward and Clark for the nomination

Bye,
/\/and

http://www.nand.it/nandeck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Frederick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
The concept of right brain and left brain thinking developed from the research in the late 1960s of an American psycho-biologist Roger W Sperry. He discovered that the human brain has two very different ways of thinking. One (the right brain) is visual and processes information in an intuitive and simultaneous way, looking first at the whole picture then the details. The other (the left brain) is verbal and processes information in an analytical and sequential way, looking first at the pieces then putting them together to get the whole.

I think you are confused-brained

D'oh! I totally meant right-brained. I even use the mnemonic of "left=logic," but still my keyboard betrayed me!

Yes, it was the keyboard, it had nothing to do with the operator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Royal
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HUGE thank you to everyone who offered suggestions. I tried QuickCards, and it's really great for quickly creating simple cards.

I tried nandeck, and it was initially a bigger learning curve. After about an hour or so, however, I realized just how powerful the application is. I was able to create a card game for my daughter (think Magic: The Gathering meets circus clowns. ) in a couple days.

This little application is amazing. I agree it isn't initially intuitive, and there are some quirks I had to steer around, but the biggest thing I like about it is being able to make the card data in Excel (where it's easily updatable), then export to CSV and have nanDeck automatically recreate the cards.

Huge thanks again for the recommendations (the flickr card recommendation was interesting too, I could see using that for some other things).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Rqthstar
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
Come together, together as one
badge
Perhaps in a perfect world, the ring would be a symbol of happiness
mbmb
What material are you using to actually print the cards? I have some 110# card stock that has worked well but I'm wondering if there's a way to get that smooth finish seen on most professionally made playing cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Nand
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Best. Game. Ever.
badge
I wrote nanDECK and BGG1tool
mbmbmbmbmb
Auzette wrote:

I tried nandeck, and it was initially a bigger learning curve. After about an hour or so, however, I realized just how powerful the application is. I was able to create a card game for my daughter (think Magic: The Gathering meets circus clowns. ) in a couple days.

Thanks,
I'm happy to hear nanDECK was useful to you

Auzette wrote:

This little application is amazing. I agree it isn't initially intuitive, and there are some quirks I had to steer around, but the biggest thing I like about it is being able to make the card data in Excel (where it's easily updatable), then export to CSV and have nanDeck automatically recreate the cards.

If someone wants to know more about this feature, I've written a simple tutorial:
http://www.nand.it/nandeck/tut_d.html

Bye,
/\/and

http://www.nand.it/nandeck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
joey bauer
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
meeplesounds cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.