Subject: What it brings to the party rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a review of Peloponnes Card Game: Patronus.

For my review of the base game see here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1638028/perfect-balance-cit....

As you will know if you read my review above, I really enjoy this game. But this is far from universally popular, some people take a real disliking to it. So I shall attempt to answer two questions in this review:

1) If you already like the base game, is this a worth while addition?

2) If you didn't like the base game, might this do anything to address your concerns?

But first...

What does this expansion include?

1. Takes the maximum player count up to 6.

In order to achieve this, it adds an extra power card to each round:

The rows correspond to ages A, B and C respectively. Note two of the cards in age A don't have a catastrophe symbol. You also get additional coin cards, another luxury card and three white tokens:

I've only ever played this game with 1 to 4 players and I don't know if I'll ever want to play with 6 but the great thing is you can use these new cards even when playing with less. Just gives you a bit more variety in the cards that come up.

2. You can play an additional round.

A new age is added (D) with enough power cards for 1 more round:

Note these include an additional supply phase and some cards with quite interesting new effects, such as 'The Oracle' that, if you have it and at least 9 spare luxuries at the end, you can use the higher of your population or power to determine you score (rather than the lower)! And there are 7 cards to allow for a 6th player.

3. Patronus Cards

6 new Patronus cards that you might additionally be able to purchase each round:

Each has a coin cost (that increases with each age) and another condition that you must meet in order to buy. Their main purpose is to provide alternate ways to gain protection against the catastrophes that might occur. I imagine these will be in very short supply when playing at higher player counts...

If you already like the base game, is this a worth while addition?

Most probably, yes.

The base game already has huge replay-ability with the variable setup but it doesn't take long to get very familiar with all the power cards. The additional cards for a 6th player I've just permanently included in the deck just for the added variety. And with only 8 rounds it can feel like the game is over awfully quick sometimes. The ability to add a 9th round is great. The Patronus cards are a new concept and essentially make it a bit easier to avoid the catastrophes so if you think that's a good thing you'll be pleased to see these. Best of all you can mix and match these three new features as you see fit. If you just want to add an extra round but none of the other new things, that's fine.

I would have liked to have seen a few more starting/city cards for the sake of more variety. But I guess that thematically that may have been a problem? I mean, how many ancient Peloponean city states were there?

The is also a question mark on solo play. There are no official rules for including these new features in the solo game. I've tried playing solo with them a few times and it seems to work quite well. The main question mark for me is how the 'Oracle' card should effect the bot's score (as it doesn't accumulate luxuries) and how to use the Patronus cards.

2) If you didn't like the base game, might this do anything to address your concerns?

The main criticism I heard of the base game was that it was just too punishing. Many people didn't like the fact that your attempts to build up your city state would often be beaten back down by the harsh catastrophes that occur in the game. I didn't agree with this criticism at all but it was obviously a view shared by many.

The good news is that the expansion makes the game less punishing in two ways:

1) The Patronus cards provide new ways to protect yourself against the catastrophes if you can afford to buy one when they are available.

2) As previously mentioned, some of the additional cards have no catastrophe symbol on them. As such there is a chance that one (or potentially both in one of the first three rounds) of the first two power cards you draw won't advance a catastrophe, thus giving you more time to prepare against them.

So, I would certainly give the expansion a go if that was your main concern.

Conclusion

As you can probably tell already, I really like this expansion. It's very good value for money (although not too widely available the last time I looked) and there is a question mark on the issue of solo play although in my experience so far, I would recommend it even if you will primarily be playing it solitaire. You might need a house rule or two until such time as the game designer comes up with something official.

I also forgot to mention that all the expansion components don't come in a box, and fit easily into the base game box (my cards aren't sleeved but there is plenty of spare space) with the base components.

All in all, highly recommended.

Rating:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I was really hoping for goats and human sacrifices this time around but it's nice to see it's a possibility in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerhard E. Kodys
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Fried Egg wrote:
I also forgot to mention that all the expansion components don't come in a box, and fit easily into the base game box (my cards aren't sleeved but there is plenty of spare space) with the base components.

With premium sleeves (Arcane Tinman) all new cards don't fit properly in the box. I'm keeping the cards for the 6th player (including the 10 coin cards) seperate in the original ziplock bag (as I'll usually play with max. 4 players).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So how many turns does this add to the game? Not that it was a long game to begin with - but I enjoy the game length in Peloponnes as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmb
gerraldo wrote:
Fried Egg wrote:

With premium sleeves (Arcane Tinman) all new cards don't fit properly in the box. I'm keeping the cards for the 6th player (including the 10 coin cards) seperate in the original ziplock bag (as I'll usually play with max. 4 players).

I threw away the inset the day I opened the box, just keep the cards organised and bagged. Without the inset, they should fit in the box even if they're sleeved...
ut1imo wrote:
So how many turns does this add to the game? Not that it was a long game to begin with - but I enjoy the game length in Peloponnes as it is.

It can add one more round. You don't have to; each of the modules included can be played with separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.