Subject: A year-by-year review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played four two-player games so far. Is it good? Yes, though there are certain minor issues. Having played Legendary Encounters: Alien, so far, the game hasn't been too challenging.

- Note: Review contains mild spoilers -

The artwork is good and the rulebook is well-done; I'd have preferred artwork on the cards instead, but fans of the movie series might like the stills.

Of the four characters provided, Ron and Harry seem to be more damage dealers while Hermione and Neville are better at healing.

The first two games were all right. We weren't close to losing or getting stunned in either.

In game 3, were went for a few rounds where we could not purchase anything as the cards required 5 or 6 influence. We only managed to clear them when we were able to kill a villain who gave us bonus influence. It was rather frustrating, but a spell that allowed us to remove skulls from the location meant that we stayed at location one.

That same spell helped us keep locations clear in game 4; combined with Harry's power we were able to whittle down villains, even though Neville was stunned once. Maybe if the cards had come out differently it would have been harder. When we finished game 4 we didn't have any skulls on the first location card.

Overall, it's a good basic deck builder with some mechanics that could be improved. I think the addition of some low-cost cards that one could buy would help remove the frustration of not being able to purchase anything. If you're playing with a younger crowd and fans of the movies and books I think they'll enjoy it. Replayability isn't too high.

We are looking forward to the next few sessions, though the games do get longer as the number of villains piles up.

Overall rating: 7.5/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the game is hardest with four players.

We just started playing, and actually managed to lose year two. We did make a serious tactical mistake. Also, we probably should have used the suggested official variant that allows you to clear the market once per game, because the market got locked with high-value cards (and Lockhart--ugh), and we never saw two of the remove-a-control-token cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Goodnight
United States
Newmarket
NH
flag msg tools
Dave Chua wrote:
We are looking forward to the next few sessions, though the games do get longer as the number of villains piles up.

Overall rating: 7.5/10.

While the game does get longer, it doesn't stretch out as much as you might think. Heroes get more powerful with the newer cards, so you start to see more 5+ damage turns. Have fun with the rest of the games! Game 5 is the first one my GF and I lost.

elcoderdude wrote:

This balances out later from my experience. There are more cards and abilities that give everyone a bonus.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darwins_Dog wrote:

elcoderdude wrote:

This balances out later from my experience. There are more cards and abilities that give everyone a bonus.

That does help. But, as someone else put it, with four players, each player's deck is improving by 1-2 cards every 4 Dark Arts draws; whereas with two player's it's every 2. So with two players your decks are improving faster relative to the challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.